PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Answers to CASA's Sample IREX Questions

WHK4
29th Nov 2004, 23:33
CASA supplies 90 sample exam questions for the Instrument Rating Theory Exam (IREX) at this location:

http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/fcl_li...exam/irex_q.htm

I have heard that these really do represent typical questions found on the IREX.

Unfortunately these questions don't have answers supplied.

Does anyone know if answers to these particular sample questions can be had anywhere? I was thinking along the lines of a flying school or other institution which had gone to the trouble to work them out.

QSK?
30th Nov 2004, 23:54
WHK4

The IREX questions on the website are typical of what you can expect to receive, but then so are the questions detailed in any number of sample exams papers that can be found in any pilot supplies shop. At least with those you get the answers. In fact, I don't think any of the CASA website questions appeared verbatim on my paper - BUT THERE WERE QUESTIONS SIMILAR TO THEM.

CaptainToBe
1st Dec 2004, 07:13
WHK4, the questions on the CASA website ARE very similar to those that you will find on the actual exam (essentially exactly the same but with a few numbers changed and/or different locations).

If you know your material, the questions on the CASA site wont face any challenges for you whatsoever, and you wont need to be given the answers. I would highly suggest getting Bob Taits practice cyberexams.

WHK4
3rd Dec 2004, 06:08
Thanks QSK? and CaptainToBe for your views and suggestions. They were appreciated.

Counter-rotation
3rd Dec 2004, 22:46
I've been told that the exam has a very low pass rate at the moment. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
Also it has been stated to me that CASA are in the business of trying to "trick" (for want of a better word) candidates in the way they construct the question, rather than simply posing a question to gauge the candidate's knowledge.
Iwould be interested to hear from anyone who has recently passed/failed the exam, with their feedback.

Cheers, CR :)

CaptainToBe
7th Dec 2004, 00:13
Counter-rotation

I can confirm that it is a hard exam, however; if you know your stuff then it wont be a problem. There are a lot of questions based on situational awareness (youre over this aid and ADF1 says this, ADF2 says that, when do you know youre at point X). Brush up on your met, there are odd questions in there (mainly about icing, but also a bit about turbulence, mainly stuff about lenticular clouds, where the danger areas are in a storm, etc).

My biggest piece of advice that i can give you is that when asked a question, DRAW IT OUT! If you rush into a question, especially one about situational awareness, then you will botch it up every time, guaranteed. Know your AIP, i got the ATC tags, but didnt think they helped all that much, but for $30 you cant really go wrong.

The one thing I can tell you that you MUST do is read, then re-read every question. Often times CASA will ask a question and people will read 3/4 of the question and just assume what is being asked. Dont fall for it, read every question carefully, and a minimum of 2 times each. This really applies to all CASA exams, I can remember one specifically in AHUF, but you get the point.

Good luck with it, just out of interested, are you doing this all self study?

scatlover
8th Dec 2004, 09:45
GIDDAY, I HAVE THE CASA QUESTIONS SET UP IN A FORMAT WITH 4 ALTERNATIVES AS WELL AS ABOUT 200 OTHER EXCELLENT SIMILAR QUESTIONS. CONTACT ME AND I WOULD BE HAPPY TO FORWARD THEM TO YOU. CHEERS

VMC TO IMC
26th May 2005, 02:56
If Scatlover or anyone else who have similar questions could send me a pm that would be a great help, as there is no such thing as doing too many practise exams.
BTW
I am aware of the CASA sample questions on their web site.
Cheers
VMC TO IMC

Nokuya
29th May 2005, 03:05
Yes, I have been studying for the IREX exam self study too...and can confirm after sitting the exam twice that CASA does trick you. I am still trying to pass it, and wondering if I too can get your contact address for those exam sample questions...