PDA

View Full Version : Seneca Crash on Mt Taranaki

Massey058
29th Nov 2004, 22:33
I know that its not the Seneca V based in Palmy because it went South today.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3113546a10,00.html

Massey058
29th Nov 2004, 23:39
NZ Herald has a better article, apparently a VFR flight from NP to NS

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=8501004

rottenlungs
29th Nov 2004, 23:42
Hi there

I know Flight Corp based in Nelson operate a Seneca.

I`m hoping its not them as my first instructor flies the Seneca now and he`s a good egg. He`s Air Nelson ground staff at NSN too - hope you`re ok mate..

Cheers

Rottenlungs

NZLeardriver
29th Nov 2004, 23:46
Being reported as a Piper Cessna on Xtra.

My thoughts with all involved.

deadhead
30th Nov 2004, 00:57
Aircraft was a FlightCorp PA34, NS-NP-NS. On return leg went missing. ELT believed to be from the missing aircraft is still transmitting from a point just below the summit of Mt Egmont. Conditions on the mountain are worsening, with high winds and low cloud precluding an aerial search, but alpine rescue teams are on the mountain right now.

Pilot is (repeat, is) a well-known Nelson local aviation identity, and the other occupant also works (repeat, works) in the aviation industry.

To those of us who know (repeat, know) them, a shock and difficult to swallow, as these things of course always are.

Best wishes for the best possible outcome.:sad:

rottenlungs
30th Nov 2004, 04:18
Sh1t

I did some ab initio PPL training with Flightcorp and had a thoroughly good time doing so - I was the nervous Pom doing my first solo back at the end of 2002.

Was one of the POB's initials OW by any chance?

Very very sorry to hear it. My thoughts are with everyone down there in Nelson.

Rottenlungs

(edited cos I can't type)

flash123
30th Nov 2004, 07:41
PLANE FOUND, dont know about survivors yet on tv1 website, watch the news. heres hoping for the best

deadhead
30th Nov 2004, 08:27
Although unofficial, I can confirm there were no survivors. The next of kin are being informed, and the names will be made public tomorrow.

A long and sad day still not done.....

reynoldsno1
30th Nov 2004, 19:43
The deceased have been named as Wayne Stratford and John Hoskin. Wayne was an ATCO at Nelson.
Condolences to all family and friends....

Irishwingz
30th Nov 2004, 22:37
Very sad to hear about this event. If anyone reading this are friends or relatives you have my sympathies.

Does anyone know was it IFR or VFR?

Apparently latest is it was found just near the summit and so far one body recovered.

rottenlungs
1st Dec 2004, 02:09
Very sad news

The guys I was asking after, to my relief, are both ok. However, I have met John once or twice.

Condolences to all affected by this tragedy.

Rottenlungs

PS Woomera, sorry if I incited ppl to say more than they should yesterday - my request for specifics was borne out of concern for a colleague...

Blue Line
1st Dec 2004, 05:41
I knew both on board & I've Known Wayne for the last 7 or 8 years.
He was a Top Controler & Pilot & Will be sadly Missed by all that knew him. Thoughts go out to his wife & kids :{