PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Vulcan for sale

Neil Porter
29th Nov 2004, 15:23
Found this on ebay - yet another big delta on the market!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5538999939#description

It is in good nic - based at the Newark Air Museum.... :{

STANDTO
29th Nov 2004, 19:12
Have they started to try and move XL391 yet, or has H&S intervened?

Milt
29th Nov 2004, 21:09
The photo of the Vulcan for sale clearly showing the air to air refuelling probe reminds me of the early tests on the probe and drogue system at BD in the 50s, Valiant to Valiant.

Wanting to know the results of an emergency disconnect with fuel flowing I pushed the hose well into the hose drum unit then backed off quickly by closing throttles and extending speed brakes.

The probe pulled free of the drogue and immediately the receiver was deluged with fuel. This was rapidly followed by the crew compartment being filled with a thick fog of fuel vapour followed rapidly by visions of sparks from the rotary inverters causing a big bang. Guess we nearly had a short cut to the big hangar in the sky!!

All because I didn't think to close the air bleed gate valves on the inner engines.

How was this problem handled on the Vulcan? Was the SOP to close off air bleed from the inner engines or never to back off faster than the max wind out speed of the hose drum unit which used to be 10 ft/sec. or both?

FatBaldChief
30th Nov 2004, 08:15
If anyone is genuinely interested in this I was there with my young Son a couple of weeks ago. It is a wonderful aircraft in very good condition. My Lad loved it. A fantastic piece of history. Unfortunately I only have a small garden.

Belly as big as a Vulcan nose :8

Art Field
30th Nov 2004, 09:57
Milt, your test would have been with the flat ended probe nozzle which was changed in the early 60's to the current round ended probe, one of which I am looking at right now. That, with the corresponding reception coupling in the drogue, cut down the splash problem significantly. Having said that when the Vulcans worked up for the South Atlantic in 82 there were considerable splash problems initially, including flame-outs, until it was found that the nozzles had been incorrectly installed. After that the training up by the Victor guests went smoothly provided the driver for the journey back to Marham was not F/L X, but thats another story.

Milt
30th Nov 2004, 22:17
Art Field

Now we all want to see the story on F/L X please.

If the Vulcan receivers were still getting enough "splash" to cause flame outs, instead of reheats, did you not get fuel mist inside via the air bleeds for pressurisation?

I guess the raw fuel entering the engines would immediately vapourise through the high temperture end of the compressor and cause massive volume increase leading to blow back, surges and flame outs.

Did you have an automatic relight system?

Trouble with the early drogue connector, there was nothing to stop continuing fuel flow following an emergency disconnect. Normally fuel flow was stopped automatically with about 10 more feet of hose left on the HDU.

Thanks for the update.

Art Field
1st Dec 2004, 09:44
Milt, my knowledge of Vulcan systems is nil since I was one of the Victor AARI's attached to the Vulcans for Corporate and only there for receiver training. As far as F/L X is concerned one has to be careful, lets just say his driving of a minibus around Lincolnshires chicane style road system was rather more daring than his later behaviour.

As you say the HDU fuel valve shut as the hose is pulled out through 7 ft if I remember correctly but the valve on the drogue coupling should also shut to prevent splash. Whatever else I may think about the Vulcan Force I have to say the Flat Iron was the nicest of all the V's, indeed of all the RAF's large aircraft, with which to prod.

foxile
1st Dec 2004, 23:38
The Newark Air Museums web-site has the following announcement:

www.newarkairmuseum.co.uk - go to 'news'

"VULCAN XM594

Avro Vulcan XM594 is on loan with the Newark Air Museum and the aircraft had been put up for sale on EBAY by the owner. EBAY have now removed the aircraft sale from their website.

The museum trustees are currently waiting for an update from the owner and when anything more is known details will be released. [01.12.04]"

Foxile

Krystal n chips
3rd Dec 2004, 18:27
BBC North West Tonight had an update about said Blackpool Vulcan----seems the "minor" detail of transporting it will cost about £20000-----the haulage firm interviewed said it was "simply another piece of large machinery-"-true I suppose--and showed a neat Airfix type drawing of how it would all come apart---just like that ! :confused: ----I assume they are thinking of the production joints / breaks as access points-----so anybody know anything about how the beast was constructed and how feasible this plan is at all ? ------or will it be a simple ? "cut here with a chain saw and bolt together later" job once in sunny Dukinfield. Not to mention the traffic jams on the M67 when they do move it of course ---bad enough at the best of times for those fortunate enough not to have to use the road :mad: let alone when it is actually going to be moved----however---the optimistic end note was that it should be in place for next Summer.

The Swinging Monkey
9th Apr 2005, 10:41
I understand that this particular aircraft (the Newark Vulcan) was withdrawn from e bay, however.......
it has now been purchased by the Lincs Lancaster Association! How strange. Could it have anything to do with the fact that it's owner is the chairman of the said organisation??!!
hmmmmmmm

Kinds regards
TSM