PDA

View Full Version : Gen Nav exam chart

morfa
28th Nov 2004, 11:01
Can anyone please advise. I'm sitting Gen Nav in December-which chart are you allowed to take into the exam?

Thanks morfa

rmmonteiro
28th Nov 2004, 11:51
Hi morfa, if it is JAA , you may take those in the " student pilot route manual " from jeppesen.

cheers

RMM

helicopter-redeye
28th Nov 2004, 11:52
Its Chart E Low 1 (only, I think).

Brush up on your knowledge of fields, nav aides and other symbols from SW Ireland.

oxford blue
28th Nov 2004, 14:01
You don't actually NEED to take any chart in with you.

If any questions requires a chart to answer it, then the chart will provided as an annex to the question paper. Any chart, including skeleton plotting charts, might be required. However, most, if not all, Gen Nav plotting questions are on the Jeppesen E(LO)1.

The trouble is that the quality of the photocopying on the annexes is often quite bad. So the UK CAA has agreed that students may take in ONLY the Jeppesen E(LO)1.

You can't take the whole Jeppesen Student Pilot's Manual in. Not that it would be much help if you did.

But you can take the whole Jeppesen Student Pilot's Manual into Flight Planning. In fact, you have to, in order to be able to sit the exam.

morfa
28th Nov 2004, 15:45
Thanks to Oxford Blue and those who kindly replied to my post.

Regards morfa

OneIn60rule
29th Nov 2004, 12:12
I brought my Jeppesen manual with me and during the break (after whatever exam it was that day) I asked the vigilators which chart I should bring in (for the Gnav) or that I could bring in. Answer was the ELO 1/2.

On and on it seems that this is the preferred chart to question folks on. I would bet my 1 year salary as captain that you'll get the Elo chart.

*(of course I'm not captain yet but I doubt anyone would take the bet anyways)*

Word of advice for this exam, be carefull if the question asks for starting track or average track. Another fine trick you don't want to fall for. I cannot remember if this came up in the flight planning exam or Gnav but somewhere they give you an annex and you have to figure out the start track from A to B and add the magnetic variation in order to get the ACCURATE answer.

tu154
29th Nov 2004, 14:26
The exam notification from the CAA states definitively what chart you are to bring in, but it has been southern ireland for a number of years. However just in case it changes it's wise to check the notification when it comes.