PDA

View Full Version : HAECO record

Hangin' on
28th Nov 2004, 06:27
Some time ago, i.e. in Kai Tak days, HAECO changed a Classic engine, on the pan, in a record time. Red wine and incipient alzheimers have clouded the actual time, but I seem to remember it was around 7 hours. Anyone else have a more accurate recollection?

SeldomFixit
28th Nov 2004, 07:46
Not certain but reasonably sure it was even faster than that. A figure of 3 or 4 hours and just possibly even less. I do remember that when I found out about it I was incredulous.
One of the ex HAECO ramp types will know for certain.

CV880
30th Nov 2004, 22:57
I am fairly sure it was just under 3 hours block to block (2hr 54 min rings a bell).
Aircraft involved was VR-HVY (now B-HVY) the 747-236F freighter CX purchased from BA at the end of April 1982.
The event was its C of A air test after all the checks and mods done by HAECO prior to entry into service with CX.
Time - May/June 1982.
A practice RTO at 100 knots was planned on the the first take off run possibly for simulator veracity checks. One of the inboard engines (RB211-524C2) suffered an internal FFR failure which resulted in it failing to decelerate when the RTO was initiated and it went into reverse while still running at take off power. Amazingly the reverser stayed attached but was seriously overstressed and there was a significant N1 overspeed. This occurred around midday. The test crew advised if they could get airborne by a certain time (say 1600) there was sufficient daylight remaining to allow completion of the test flight. The aircraft taxied back to the hangars and a double engine change team which was about 10-12 mechanics plus electricians set about replacing the engine. As per their policy CX had a nearly fully built up powerplant on hand. The aircraft redeparted from the hangar so no towing was involved other than pushing back from the front of the hangar to the taxiway. The test flight was completed the same day and HVY made its first CX revenue flight on schedule. Fortunately in those days a fully tested RB211 did not require any high power on wing running after installation so the engine run check was done in front of the hangar. The removed engine was converted to a D4 which meant the damaged thrust reverser and oversped fan and LP turbine were all discarded and replaced with new parts as part of the conversion.
HAECO quite often did 6 hour engine changes on the ramp including one with pax on board in the wee hours of the morning after an in flight return after midnight.
Cheers

Hangin' on
1st Dec 2004, 07:27
Thanks for the info guys. I just wanted to contrast it with our current engineering provider, 10 hrs hangar time for an MEC change :mad: :* :mad:

ICKLE
18th Dec 2004, 22:44
Don,t be too harsh on the guys taking 10 hours for an MEC change...thats about right, next time you get a chance have a look then do so. GE hang the MEC,s from the roof of the factory and then build the engine around it. With regards HAECO record, I personally have witnessed a 524D4 engine change take 3 hours but be aware, a 524D4 drop,s off the wing as a whole unit with no complications wheras the 524G is a different beast and takes much longer and then theres the C and D ducted engines like CF6, Trent 700 and 800 that take forever....sometimes 24 hours.

shortly
19th Dec 2004, 00:32
Ickle, you are going to spoil this thread if you insist on telling the truth and confusing us with facts. Why in my fathers day they used to change an engine before it was placed on the wing, only took a heart beat. Anyway if Haeco are going to make a record I won't buy it - I've heard some of those engineers sing. Merry Xmas.