PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff Academy of Aviation

thereceiver2004
27th Nov 2004, 21:21
So it has been a few weeks since the C.A.A. opened there doors on the southside of EGFF

it has all been rather quiet on here.. any body been to the school, anybody joined up and anyone flown

whats it all like

how many members are there
how many planes

anyone.. ????:bored:

traumahawk71
28th Nov 2004, 10:13
Not visisted the place yet although i hear its looking very smart. Perhaps your best bet is to log onto their website: www.cardiffacademyofaviation.co.uk
Full of information and an application form if your thinking of joining.
TH71

CWL_Chris
31st Mar 2005, 16:24
I had a lesson there, was very impressed!

I must say, it is very clean and has quite a nice bar/restaurant area!

Regards,
Chris

Captain101
2nd Apr 2005, 11:17
I've joined up and been checked out on their DA40 TDI's
Nice planes -brand new- simple to fly and quite fast.

Rates for hire are astronomical (£129/hr), thats why I still do most of my flying at EGBS.

It is still in it's early days and the running isn't exactly smooth yet. There are anticipated problems with airside access from July thanks to Cardiffs 'jobs worths' security director.
I also object to paying for hire of life jackets at an airport with an approach (30) and climb out (12) is over water.

Cardiff is expecting a very busy summer with record airline traffic so be prepared to wait at the hold and to circle a few times before approach or class D entry.

The facilities are nice, much improved from the last club, and the owner certainly knows how to run a good bar/restraunt.

Instructors are helpful, the two I've flown with both have airline experience.

Membership seems to be ever increasing as people hear of the change of hands.

Pop in and have a look around the staff are very friendly and they do a good lunch!

Last time I checked the fleet was 2-Robin Alpa 120T's and 3 Diamond Star TDI's one of wich is IMC equipt. (The aircraft shown on the website is not one of theirs, theirs are not even close to being that well equipt). There were orders for more including a DA42 twin star wich I think have now been cancelled.

When the aircraft aren't in Gamston for checks or repair the availability on the Diamonds is currently excellent.

Overall a big improvment on the old club. Definatley has huge potential to be a sucessful club if they can cut costs, generally sharpen up a bit and sort out the potential airside access problem.

Hope this helps

Capt 101

cptkinz
18th Apr 2005, 12:45
129 p/h hardly seems astronomical, when people were paying 125 p/h on a twenty year old Warrior

Captain101
18th Apr 2005, 13:23
It does when I pay £95/hr at EGBS for an fully IFR equip C177RG Cardinal with storm scope,r-nav,gps, hsi,rmi,etc... and a 120kt cruise.

Also not so long ago I payed £125/hr for a PA28RT-201T Turbo Arrow, full airways kit and a 135kt IAS/FL100 cruise out of EGBJ.

I can hire a twin for only an extra £50/hr.

Also consider JetA1 costs only a fraction of avgas and the centurion engines use about 6gal/hr max.

I know Cardiff is an expensive place to operate from but I still think they could charge signifcantly less and still make a good profit. They might even bring in some of the many pilots living in south Wales that travel to EGFG/EGBS/EGBJ/EGTG etc....

Nice club - Yes
Nice Aircraft - Yes
Good Value - NO

PhilM
22nd Apr 2005, 18:07
Myself and a friend (both doing Aerospace Engineering degrees) went along to CAA to have a chat with the people there, get a feel for the place, and ask some questions about doing a NPPL/PPL, as we are both very keen on becoming pilots after our degree has finished, and figured a PPL, or hours towards one wouldent be a bad way to spend a few left over student loan pennies. :cool:

Unfortunatly we had a very frosty reception, with noone willing to give us the time of day, and we were almost ushered out being told "look at the website"..... :mad:

.....needless to say, I am 100% certain CAA will not be seeing a penny of mine ever, I think I will travel to someplace else. :ugh:

mateyboy
30th Apr 2005, 20:43
Vey surprised about that. The guys are a good bunch of people, but I know they do have off days, especially one (won't mention names, but I think we know who....hehe), but he's a damned good bloke really. Leebay's a wally but he's from Bridgend but he'd do anything for anyone.
Go down again, and I'm sure you'll see the error of your thoughts. More importantly, their planes are superb, and very reasonably priced, the Grubs blinding, and so's the decor is sublime,

I don't work there, or fly from there either, but I used to go there.

Regards

MB

what who me?
30th Apr 2005, 20:50
I had a lesson there, was very impressed!

I must say, it is very clean and has quite a nice bar/restaurant area!Was the lesson any good though?