PDA

View Full Version : Old Vampire Dumped In Hangar At Speke

SPIT
27th Nov 2004, 12:43
Some years ago when I was working at Liverpool (Speke) Airport there was an parts of a Vampire Aircraft at the rear of a hangar.
Does anyone know whatever happened to this as there seemed to be quite a lot of parts ie: Fus & Wings.:ok: :ok:

jabberwok
27th Nov 2004, 16:09
I remember that too. It was acquired by the MSAE (or MAS) but they didn't keep it for long. Wiser than most people at the time they quickly realised that the effort to maintain the aircraft in good preservation order was beyond their abilities. Rather than let it slowly rot away they passed it on.

Memory (fickle thing that it is) suggests it either went to Newark or Sculthorpe..

Ken Ellis at Flypast would know as he was involved in it..

JB

Just to add that I think it may be WZ553 now at Cranfield with the Vintage Aircraft Team. At least that is what Wrecks and Relics suggests..

JB

fradu
27th Nov 2004, 17:51
If it is indeed WZ553, I believe she recently moved to Coventry Airport to become a 'christmas tree' for an airworthy example.

HTH,
Mark

Mr_Grubby
27th Nov 2004, 18:03
SPIT.

Don’t want to hi-jack your thread so please forgive me this post.

I live in a village called Lightwater, near Woking, Surrey. When I moved here in ’82, about a mile away was a Vampire in a garden near the Gordon’s Boys School. Over night it vanished. I have often wondered what happened to it ?

Any clues ?

Clint.

fradu
29th Nov 2004, 22:09
Clint,

I have checked my old books and come up with XE650 as your Vampire.
It was exported in the late 1980s to France for its new life in a Museum, according to W&R10.