PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Pass

Sul
26th Nov 2004, 17:13
Hi

I just passed a class 1 medical, but during the medical the optometrist mentioned that my right eye is slightly short sighted. He did say that it's nothing to worry about and that everything looks good. I myself never did notice that my right is a bit weak...

I've heard/read that some airlines have medical requirements higher than the class 1 (British Airways, for example)...so my question is how strict are they in terms of eye sight? Would my slight short-sighted right eye fail their medical requirements? I just found it difficult to read the very last line of letters with it...about 6 metres away I think (there were some lens placed in front of my eyes so I'm unsure if I would have or not been able to read it without).

EGBKFLYER
27th Nov 2004, 05:31
Unless the airline is demanding perfect, uncorrected vision or your eyes are very different (blind in one/ perfect in the other!), can't see you having a problem.

Being able to read the bottom line aided or unaided is well in excess of the required standard (which if I remember rightly is the third line up from the bottom). I have a class 1 and can't even see the board without my specs on! With specs, I see the bottom line clearly in one eye and slightly blurred with the other... Your issue doesn't even need specs by the sound of it (your other eye is compensating easily if you weren't aware of any effects) so you'll be fine.