PDA

View Full Version : Jepps, do you have to carry both manuals when flying ?

SHAGGS
26th Nov 2004, 04:16
Anyone know if you have to carry both manuals when flying ? To keep CASA happy as far as a ramp check goes. Or can I pull out the relevant charts and plates and leave the rest at home. It's just that the 2 binders are to big to carry around in my nav bag, as I only seem to use about 10 plates when flying.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

26th Nov 2004, 07:42
Oh poor boy has to carry 2 binders when flying....

Boo Hoo...

Try carrying 14.... Pacific and Continental US.

Try doing the updates twice a month.....

[by the way no you don't]

fly_boy 4 flying
26th Nov 2004, 07:57
You only have to carry Jepp 1 on you as far as I know

Icarus2001
26th Nov 2004, 08:05
CAR 233 Responsibility of pilot in command before flight.

(1) The pilot in command of an aircraft must not commence a flight if he or she has not received evidence and taken such action as is necessary to ensure that:

(h) the latest edition of the aeronautical maps, charts and other aeronautical information and instructions, published in the AIP or by a person approved in writing, that are applicable:
(i) to the route to be flown; and
(ii) to any alternative route that may be flown on that flight;
are carried in the aircraft and are readily accessible to the flight crew.

:ok: Now then, what I say is applicable may be different to what you say is applicable. My idea of where we may end up flying is possibily different to where you say we may end up flying.

If you have the local plates, suitable alternates etc then you will be fine.

CASA FOIs do not have the right of entry to the aircraft for a ramp inspection nor can they open your nav bag. Show them your licence and then as much or as little as you wish. They also should show you their ID. That said, almost all of them are decent human beings and really want to see you home safely and like nothing more than ticking the right boxes for you on the inspection checklist.

Mr. Hat
26th Nov 2004, 08:44
and yes carrying the amedments in their envelope (open it) is legal.

Towering Q
26th Nov 2004, 21:43
Get a bigger nav bag. Once it reaches a decent size it can become useful as ballast.:ok: