PDA

View Full Version : QF Duds

OperationsNormal
24th Nov 2004, 10:51
I just started with that mob who got red tails and white kangaroos on them.

Anyway, this clown in QCD gave me my uniform the other day.

Just as I was about to wash it my girl screamed something at me suggesting I should check the "care instructions".

Apparently the duds are "DRY CLEAN ONLY ". Is this a serious or an ambit warning ???

I cant be fuct getting the bastards drycleaned every week.

Has anyone else out there lived dangerously and washed them in the Westinghouse ?? Id love to know what happens.

Thanks !

blueloo
24th Nov 2004, 12:06
The secret is to not wash them.

Ibex
24th Nov 2004, 13:42
That's great.

Wind away.

Sounds like you are the QF dud.

Cockpit Door-Closed
24th Nov 2004, 18:01
Ops Normal

Why don't you go ahead and post your question on Qrewroom, the most logical place to ask!

CDC

one ball
24th Nov 2004, 18:50
You have come to the right place to ask this pertinent question. It is more relevant than most of the horsejit spun by Ibecks, etc, who just can't help themselves and will wade right in, in their haste to have a bite.

Wash the fuggas then have ya wench iron them to get those razor-sharp creases I know you'll insist upon. But make sure they are 1.5 cm longer than normal as they will shrink from all the wshing and you'll end up wearing ankle-highs and looking more and more like the crusty skinny-armed old fartairline pilot you probably (like me) tend to scorn.

Later, your duds will develop shiny patches on the arse-cheek areas. This is your lot in life now. If you're like the fas, you can take one pair and have those shiny cheeks cut out and save them for that "thpecial day" of the year when Thydney thelebrateth what they love most with a "special" parade.

Remember to say "Yes Sir/Skipper/Captain/Your Lordship" to the boss. He's the socially inept one in the left-hand seat with no experience outside of The Rat.

Keg
24th Nov 2004, 20:15
Ops, if you've joined mainline, the answer is on your first pay sheet and every pay sheet thereafter. It is called T/CRW REIMB and amounts to about $118 a fortnight. It goes towards buying shoes, laundering uniform and so on. It IS taxed but then again, remember that the stuff you expend is tax deductible! :E I'm not sure how Eastern's do it if that is who you're flying with.

If you're too stingy to have your dud's dry cleaned every couple of weeks or so (not like as long haul S/O that we wear them all that often!) then chuck a pair through the wash, see how they go and if it doesn't work out, take them back and get them replaced.

One comment I will make, if you use an iron in them, they WILL go shiny on you very quickly. Relatively low heat and iron them through a tea towel or other material that will take the edge of the direct contact.

PPRUNE, now with added laundering and ironing tips! :}

The Matirx
24th Nov 2004, 20:36
At a wedding I recently attended I saw two QF LH techies wearing their uniform pants with a business shirt & tie.

Obviously the pants have now become a highly desirable fashion item as well as work wear.

So in that light, perhaps a little dry cleaning now and then may be justified.

If they do shrink - just cut the leg bottom offs and then you can use them as a nice pair of walk / casual shorts.

Looks great down the cairns yacht club..

hotnhigh
24th Nov 2004, 21:40
:} It's that bloody flap on the back pocket.
Still, it didn't show up in the shots in the wedding album.:cool:

Skypatrol
24th Nov 2004, 21:49
The Matrix,
That's not as bad as a particular Regional pilot who was married in suits tailored to look like uniforms ...... hat, stripes and all!

TIMMEEEE
24th Nov 2004, 21:50
OPs Normal.

If a company is willing to firstly employ you, secondly provide you with a uniform and thirdly generously reward you over what could be a very long career then I hope you have the intelligence and common sense to heed the care labels on clothing.
Its a very basic concept really!

Do you wash suits or formal trousers I wonder???
No, I thought not.
Dry cleaning both improves the appearence and longevity of most trouser and suit type materials which is a proven fact.

I have seen the results of washing then ironing the trousers - they shrink and go all stiff and shiny.

Cant have you out there doing an Elton John impersonation making all those flight attendants jealous now, can we?

PS: If you were to bring up this forum on Q-Room they wouldnt be as forgiving as those here on PPrUNE.

MoFo
24th Nov 2004, 23:16
What a mind boggling post this is. Has to be a mummies boy.

If he can't work out how to clean his clothes maybe he could go on Qroom and ask one of those p*ss weak questions so frequently seen there.

Examples.

" I can't log onto staff travel. Anyone else having trouble? Oh my, what can I do?

I can't get CIS to come up on my computer. Anyone else having problems? Oh my what can I do.

This from people hired to be resourceful and command an aircraft. Whats wrong with working it out like a big boy.

SeldomFixit
25th Nov 2004, 00:00
Not to mention the ones that steer the trusty vessel through a long, stormy night, nothing between them and destruction save years and years of accumulated "crusty old "..............hits the aerobridge and asks the ground skirt " How do I get a taxi "? :O

Howard Hughes
25th Nov 2004, 01:21
Damn, what a misleading headline this is....

I was all set for a bagging of the so called dud's and all you want is washing hint's.

By the way, I think you should get your clothes dry cleaned just to be on the safe side, I mean is'nt there an allowance for that sort of thing?

However it is possible to:
a, wash your trousers without shrinking them!
b, iron them without making them shiny!

Cheers, HH. (aka chinese launderer)

:ok:

PS: Man you need to get yourself a woman, or man!!

Bobster
25th Nov 2004, 01:36
Maybe the Australian Fab Five might be able to assist if Ops Normal is too lousy to spend a few $'s on dry cleaning.

Cactus Jack
25th Nov 2004, 02:03
Is it just me, or has PPrune become the most boring website on the internet? We have now sunk to the depths of discussing laundry?

The most controversial (and therefore interesting) posts are removed, censored or locked, the most controversial (and therefore interesting) players are banned.

Whats the point of this website now?

notmyC150v2
25th Nov 2004, 02:11
Cactus

I don't think it's boring as such, just very safe, in a plaid skirt kind of way...

Don Esson
25th Nov 2004, 04:53
Sorry, but one has to agree with Cactus Jack. This has to be very positive proof that at least some Qantas pilots have too much time on their hands. Either that or this is a good wind-up? I regretably feel it's genuine in which case I say to Operations Normal, get a grip on yourself and please get a ***** life! Most people would kill to have their work clothes provided and maintained.

The Messiah
25th Nov 2004, 07:44
I think he just wanted to tell everyone he got a start with Qantas. I'm sure his 'duds' would be size small around the crotch.

OpsNormal
25th Nov 2004, 08:04
I'd like to thank all of my friends who rang me to personally congratulate me on my new appointment with Australia's Flag Carrier Airline.

Unfortunately OperationsNormal is not me! S/he has registered recently (this year) and taken a name very similar to mine, making for interesting times when I get PM's and phone calls from people who believe I have finally made it.......

Congratulations OperationsNormal, and a lesson to some of you to open your eyes a bit further.....s/he is not Ops, and I am not Operations...:*

Have a nice day.

OpsN.;)

Ultralights
25th Nov 2004, 08:45
did you pay for them? no? westinghouse away my friend!

Woomera
25th Nov 2004, 08:58
Off to questions where it belongs for those who can bother.

Ibex
25th Nov 2004, 11:57
You have come to the right place to ask this pertinent question. It is more relevant than most of the horsejit spun by Ibecks, etc, who just can't help themselves and will wade right in, in their haste to have a bite.

Yeah, real 'horsejit' isn't it.

You must both be bored now schoolies is over.

:yuk:

Sunfish
25th Nov 2004, 19:30
Messiah is right. Methinks this joker complains too much.

one ball
27th Nov 2004, 00:05
Too tight to dry-clean with your allowance? I'd say Ops Normal is simply learning an early lesson from the hosties in:

"Allowances, Hoarding of."

Your next lesson will be on "Noodles, in Kettle, Boiling of."

Followed by: "Advanced Carpet-Grazing" (AKA: "How to Survive on Cast-Off Room Service Trays.")

You're right cactus, the interesting guys are swatted and wallies like Ibex take their place with their wally-speak. Or wannabes but at least one wannabe ceo pilot has finally pulled his head in and backed off.

:ok:

PS Ops Normal, throw your duds away and get some real stuff made up in a sweat shop in Asia. They will fit and look much better than the standard wrinkly ankle-length clobber proudly worn by Capt. Ima Spacecadet, along with his pocket full of pens.

PPS I was passing through **** recently and saw the out-going crew paperwork for the Qwanarse flight ahead of ours. The youngest member of the wait-persons was "Sweet-48"!!!!! HAHAHAHAAAAAA....!!!! Oh God how I laughed......

OperationsNormal
28th Nov 2004, 21:22
For those of you that are interested..............

They shrink and go furry after 40 mins in the westinghouse !.

I now have myself a pair of those three-quater pants that were (allegedly) funky a few years ago, crossed with a pair of wooly trackies !.

Oh and while im here...... are there any tricks to making the silly hat look any less silly ??

grrowler
28th Nov 2004, 22:37
Don't be such a stingy wang and just get them drycleaned!

Hat modding requires at least 2 paperclips and a phone book, but ideally scissors, rubber bands and some fabric glue, and then wearing it in the shower to get the crust factor up there.

They still look sh*t though ;)

Crossbleed
28th Nov 2004, 23:01
Tear that silly red letter 'orf the bugger and get a real job.

Keg
29th Nov 2004, 08:31
There are two options with the lid Ops. Go to work looking like a Soviet Army border guard with the brim out wide or sew, stick, cajole and otherwise convince the sides to stay down beside the head band and go to work looking like a WWII German Panzer driver.

Just acknowledge the fact that the hat isn't the most glamourous bit of kit and live with it. The saving grace for blokes is that it looks worse on the ladies! ;) :p Amazing how the RAAF can have such a great looking hat (for the blokes anyway) whilst the QF ones look pretty tragic. It could be worse, we could be made to wear our jackets all the time! :eek: :}