PDA

View Full Version : Good course of action?

thejakes
23rd Nov 2004, 17:07
This is what I was emailed by the head of training at EFT in Florida - I'm looking to go in the New Year and get my PPL and some hours under my belt, however was confused as to what other ratings I should get, i.e. Night, IMC, MEP, and whether my PPL will be FAA or JAA.

For a start, is the following correct, and in anyone's view out there, is this a good course of action?

"Once you start training you will get an FAA student pilot certificate, this will let you fly untill later you get an FAA PPL based on the JAA PPL. You can do the MEP after the CPL and don,t need to do the IMC.

Your first course would be the PPL 45 hours then the Night 5 hours now you can do some hour biulding 50 to 100 hours. after your ATPL writen exams more hours to a total of 150 then you can do the 25 hour CPL. next the 6 hour MEP and finshing off with the 50 hour IR."

WX Man
23rd Nov 2004, 18:32
Well, I would say that an IMC for anyone who wants to go on and get an IR is a waste of money. Better to do a FAA PPL and IR, followed by a UK PPL for which the FAA IR will automatically give you an IMC rating for your UK PPL (confused? read on).

Night rating is probably necessary because you need so many hours night P1, night dual and night cross country in order to get the FAA IR under part 141 (but not under part 61).

If you don't understand what he was telling you, why don't you email him back asking him exactly what training he would recommend for you in your situation.

FWIW, if I had my time again here's what I'd do (in this order):

FAA PPL (which gives you night training anyway)
Hours building
ATPL grounschool
More hours building
FAA ME rating
FAA MEIR
JAA CPL in a ME aircraft
JAA IR