PDA

View Full Version : Greece Scraps Eurofighter Deal

soddim
23rd Nov 2004, 14:03
http://www.iii.co.uk/news/?type=reutersnews&articleid=MTFH27634_2004-11-23_14-04-27_ALL347900&action=article

Basil
23rd Nov 2004, 14:21
Anyone have specific knowledge of their contract esp re penalty clause?

lasernigel
23rd Nov 2004, 14:31
That means the price of ours will go up to offset this cancellation.How many will we get now His Tonyness????

hobie
23rd Nov 2004, 15:05
some Program info here ....

http://www.eurofighter.com/News/

sprucemoose
23rd Nov 2004, 15:39
Err, call me stupid here, but as Greece had merely stated a requirement for 60-90 aircraft, why will the cost of ours go up?

There was never a contract for the Greek jets and the price of our Tranche 2 aircraft has been agreed purely for those aircraft to be built for the four partner nations. I thought it was common knowledge that the Greek deal would be re-opened after the Olympics, but maybe it wasn't!

And of course there's absolutely no reason that the Typhoon won't win the new competition...

Trumpet_trousers
23rd Nov 2004, 16:55
Greece Scraps Eurofighter Deal

...maybe they're upset that you can only enter it from the front.....:E

polyglory
23rd Nov 2004, 17:59
I believe their new option is for the Spad and a long term view for replacement will be the Rafale:E

taffman
24th Nov 2004, 07:54
May be they can no longer afford them after the Olympic games. They have a big debt problem after the games and not meeting EU rules with regards their economy I believe.

Taffman
:{

Twinact
24th Nov 2004, 08:07
Does this mean we will cancel our EFA if England wins the Olympic Bid for 2012? Don't throw those Jags away just yet!!:confused:

emitex
24th Nov 2004, 09:20
May be they can no longer afford them after the Olympic games. They have a big debt problem after the games and not meeting EU rules with regards their economy I believe.

Weren't they paying with Olive Oil?

:=

ORAC
24th Nov 2004, 09:44
Popeye wouldn´t pay the ransom.......

itchy kitchin
24th Nov 2004, 10:30
They prolly want something modern and up to date...

ZH875
24th Nov 2004, 12:13
Maybe, its because the Plane spotters have the tail numbers and photographs.

BEagle
24th Nov 2004, 12:23
What does 'prolly' mean? Is it some yoofspeak patois?

jindabyne
24th Nov 2004, 14:59
Oh c'mon BEagle, u no it prolly means, wivout dowt, probabbly

Kendo Nagasaki
24th Nov 2004, 20:12
[\quote]What does 'prolly' mean? Is it some yoofspeak patois?[quote]

My dad layed a patois in our backgarden when i was a kid.

T'was about the same time my mums mother disappeared as well. Always wondered what happened to the old bird.

tug3
24th Nov 2004, 20:49
Funny, I thought it was the 'UK of GB & NI' bidding to host the Olympics in 2012, not "England". Silly me...

Rgds
T3

MrBernoulli
24th Nov 2004, 21:47
Wrong again tug3! It is LONDON bidding to host the Olympics, not the country. All this claimed economic benefit to the rest of the country (be it England or UK or whatever) is utter nonsense. How can anywhere outside of London benefit?

And as for Lord Coe's puerile nonsense about wanting to host the best games ever. Goodness me! Does he think we're all fools? Country couldn't get the bloody Dome done on time or on budget; Scottish Parliament massively over budget and late; etc etc etc. The rest of the nation will be saddled with the tax bill to pay for LONDON'S Olympics for ever more.

And all because Tony and Cherie want a frickin' ceremony that they can lord it over. Save the cash and heartache ....... pleeeeaaaase!

BEagle
24th Nov 2004, 22:02
Yes - the jockstrapaholics can bugger off to Paris for their running, swimming and throwing things yawndom!

Really hope that London does not get the Olympricks!

And why the heck is some sweaty athlete now a Lord?

Archimedes
24th Nov 2004, 22:41
Because he was less successful at politics than at running....

Mr Hague had to find some way of keeping one of the few prominent members of his party who wasn't widely loathed at Westminster, so elevation it was!

Loose rivets
25th Nov 2004, 02:40
Er...is it me, or am I witnessing the most comprehensive thread slippage in the history of...er, threads? Ah, no. Archimedes...must be on the right track.

I was going to beg the question: ARE YOU ALL QUITE, QUITE MAD?

I mean talking about Greek fighter planes. Do you have some hidden desire to be carted off in chains and locked in a jail where the only worthwhile pastime would be to learn Greek?

Talking of Tony, I have a feeling that if it were not for him, some gentle souls would still be fighting for their freedom, having had the temerity to photograph some obsolete kit parked in an obsolete airfield. These people were plane spotters, and I am predisposed to like people that like planes, wether they fly them or not.

I am also predisposed not to forget the bizarre treatment of these people by a country who's desire is to be part of a group of free nations.

Gainesy
25th Nov 2004, 07:40
the most comprehensive thread slippage

a country who's desire is to be part of a group of free nations.

I didn't know Ukraine wanted Typhoon.

Archimedes
25th Nov 2004, 08:44
Well, they are in need of some new fighters...

Just to keep Loose Rivets happy, I've heard murmurings that the Greek AF still want the Typhoon but have re-opened the competition in a bid to get a lower price from Eurofighter GMbH.

Now whether Seb Coe will be forced to buy Tranche 3 out of his own pocket should we have funding difficulties after hosting the Olympics is another matter. Perhaps he could do a sponsored run to raise funds?

Jackonicko
25th Nov 2004, 11:27
"Talking of Tony, I have a feeling that if it were not for him, some gentle souls would still be fighting for their freedom, having had the temerity to photograph some obsolete kit parked in an obsolete airfield. These people were plane spotters, and I am predisposed to like people that like planes, wether they fly them or not."

The track record of one of the key people involved in the spotter's tour in question, insofar as other enthusiasts tell me, suggests that he may not quite be an ordinary, law-abiding spotter. It was suggested to me that he was someone whose cavalier disregard of fences, security regulations and basic common sense was bound to lead to problems. If the grapevine is correct, than doing what he supposedly did in Greece was provocative and stupid.

sprucemoose
25th Nov 2004, 11:54
Rivet:

A bit fanciful to say that Greece's new F-16s are obsolete, mate.

Perhaps my views are skewed because of my day job, but the day I go on a spotting holiday is the day I find all my worldly goods on the lawn and the locks changed - and quite rightly so!

Loose rivets
26th Nov 2004, 05:29
Mmmm...probably better not to try to mix humor with subject matter that one feels strongly about, especially after a few jars. However I was at home in the UK while the plane spotter incident was running on the BEEB, the pictures that I recall were of the type of kit that you would not expect to arouse much interest.

Of course there is always one pain in the butt in any group, that will make things difficult for the others, but I feel reasonably confident that most of these folk were what they purported to be. It was the use of the proverbial sledgehammer that got my goat. As is so often the case, huge flexing of mussels is aimed at innocent if perhaps unwise people, while the real dangers are not tackled.

Anyway, what was I saying about thread slippage?