PDA

View Full Version : What should i do next???

skudrunner
23rd Nov 2004, 01:53
I'm a Canadian and working in Canada, but I would like to work abroad. I have around 4500hrs most of which is PIC in light twins. I have been thinking of writing my FAA ATP and then completing the flight test to be able to fly "N" registered a/c.
Is this the next likely step I must do, or is it necessary?
I understand that working in the US is unattainable for Canadians, so I would like to explore the industry in other counties.
Any insight and suggestions is appreciated.

skud

ea306
26th Nov 2004, 06:31
WestJet?
JetsGo?

you have more hours than they both ask for.

Just a thought.

rotateandfly
26th Nov 2004, 18:04
Hey scudrunner,

just curious as to how many hours of your 4500 are twin turbine. Twin turbine´s the name of the game!

Peace

grind king
27th Nov 2004, 11:54
Scudrunner,

Just a thought, but have you ever thought fo working in Japan. I am DHC-8 driver from Canada and am working for an airline in Japan on the DHC-8 q400. They will be looking for more guys in January and a type rating is not required. This can also be an on going contract with room for advancement to the left seat especially if Jazz starts calling back.
The salary is $7000.usd/month. Actually it is $4000.00 for pay, $2000.00 for living allowance and $1000.00 for commuting if you choose. The $3000.00 in allowances are tax free and the $4000.00 is taxed at a 20% tax rate. Contracts last for three years and there are ways to get out of them if need be. Work schedule is aprox six weeks on twenty days off. For a total of 108 days off/year.
I can hear every one saying ``Yeah the money is great but the cost of living is through the roof`` Don`t believe a word of it. The Pay and allowances is more than enough to cover it and still save lots o cash.
Look on www.hawaiiaviation.com or parcaviation.com.?@They are the two contract companies handling this job and are very professional. If it is not advertised yet stay tuned it will be.
This is the second overseas contract I have done. The company treats us really well. It is a great experience both culturally, and from a flying stand point. You`ll be operating great equipment and learning from some very experienced retired 747 drivers. You`ll also come out with a Japanese ATPL. Training is a bit of a grind, but would look good on a resume.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.

B727jetpilot
27th Nov 2004, 15:23
grind king

the Type rating is required,

First Officers: ICAO or FAA ATPL - 2,500 hrs TT, at least 500 hrs in Dash 8 or similar class and hold Class 1 Medical Certificate

skudrunner
27th Nov 2004, 20:34
rotateandfly----I’ve got about 3-500hrs as Capt. on PA31's and about 200hrs Capt. on BE10.
That’s pretty much the extent of my turbine experience, as most of my time is flying light piston twins.

grind king----thanks for your advice. I will definitely keep those two companies in mind.

I'm very interested working in other countries. That is why I asked if it was advisable to get my FAA ATP. I see that companies such as air serve ask for an FAA licence along with several others. It seems that only having a Canadian licence, even thought it is ICAO isn't recognized for employment in Africa or other overseas countries.

fougapilot
27th Nov 2004, 21:48
Skud,

Sad reality is that a lot of foreign private airplanes are either registered in the US or in a “Tax heaven”. Small tax heavens are often too small to have a TC or FAA type of authority so they will only issue a license based on an FAA licence. I did my FAA ATPL a few years back, never did work abroad but it did bring a few short terms contracts my way. As far as I am concern, it was worth doing it and I am even looking into a JAA license. One can never have too many tricks up ones sleeve in this business.

D

skudrunner
27th Nov 2004, 23:07
Isn't that the truth.

Well it looks like I’m going to order the gleim book and start studying for the FAA ATP. Does anyone know if I have to do both the written and flight test in the US or can I do the written in Canada and the Flight test down in the states?? Or both in Canada preferably???

grind king
29th Nov 2004, 02:28
B727JP,

Similar class is not a Dash-8 type rating. What they are refering to is time on a two crew aircraft. There are plenty of pilots over here that have never flown a dash-8. One direct entry capt only has Jetstream time as his turbine time. The Japanese are approaching a real shortage in their pilot ranks. There is no general aviation to draw from and only 40 cadets graduate from the ANA program every year. The lastest numbers show there are currently 100 retirements a year and as many as 350 year from 2007 onwards. The JCAB(MOT) is currently looking at raising the retirement age to 65 to help stem the flow. They have already dropped the minimums on the Dash-8 contract once and may so it again.
As for an FAA licence, there is a company in the US cal ALL ATPL. They do licence conversion over a one week period. Including written and IFR ride in a light twin. A friend of mine used them after he was hired at Air Serve.
He was based in the Congo and really enjoyed his experience there. Although it is not a real career advancing move as you do not fly very much and the money was only $2000.00/month. There is also a very strong christian contingent there. he met his future wife there and had a very hard time spending any "quality time" with her due to the moral out rage of his co-workers. Something to keep in mind. However it was a great experience and was a good opportunity to use aviation to give back to the community.
Hope this helps.
Good luck

offshoreigor
18th Dec 2004, 22:41
Skudrunner,

Try Trans Capital. They are flying Dash 7's over here in Cote d'Ivoire and various other places. All the guys I talk to say they are a good bunch and always looking for new guys.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

:ok: OffshoreIgor :ok:

GearDoor
21st Dec 2004, 15:16
Grindking,

Does the $1000 commuting allowance imply that commuting from N. America is allowed?

skudrunner
11th Jan 2005, 20:16
Grind King---could you elaborate more on how you got on with air Japan? I've sent them cv's but can't seem to get any response. I don't have any experience on the dash 8 but didn't you say that they hire without time on type and train? It’s too bad that the Canadian market is to the extent that if you don't have a ppc, you don't get hired.

skud

yyzdub
14th Jan 2005, 11:13
Skudrunner, if you're applying directly to the carrier, the reason you won't be getting a response is because, as mentioned, the recruitment of foreign pilots is generally done through an agency, however, these agencies will typically take those pilots that fit the profile of qualification and experience near to 100% as those set out by the airline/client.

I am not sure where you are getting your info regarding a Canadian license and Africa. The Canadian license is more than excepted in most countries in Africa, with the exceptions of say Kenya. Usually all that is necessary is a skills test, law exam and maybe a few other things but generally can be completed in a few weeks. I speak from personal experience. However, bear in mind that there is a problem obtaining airport red passes in Canada if you have worked in typical third world type countries. I don't know the "ins" and "outs" but there are a few threads on that subject posted on here.

As for the FAA ATPL... I would be hesitant to advise you going down that route. Why wouldn't you get a Canadian ATPL? The reason I say this is because there is a growing trend of countries shying away from FAA licensed pilots and focusing on JAA and ICAO (country specific, ie. New Zealand/ Australian, Canadian) licenses. A plus however about the FAA license is there are a lot of ferrying contracts for 'N' registered aircaft, but then again you would have to be type rated. Getting back to the agency thing... there are a lot of companies out there but be careful who you sign with. Yes Parc has a lot of contracts but they are a quantity company rather than quality, recently proven by their loss of an €8 Million Euro contract. Just do your research - best advice available.

If you are keen on working abroad why don't you look at Kenn Borek Air or maybe some of the non EU Eastern European countries. There are a good number of carriers looking for pilots. Also, China maybe a good bet - yes, there's not much happening at the moment if you don't have thousands of hours on type, however between now and 2010, China will be short upwards of 10 000 pilots, as they only can train 800-900 pilots a year with the facilities available. Now, people will probably jump on me for that comment but believe me, that is 100% fact!

I hope that might shed some light for you. There is work out there for someone with your experience - would be better if that time was turbine but look at companies like Thai AirAsia (they are getting a lot of new A320's and need pilots), Air Atlanta (Iceland), CX, etc, etc...

Best of luck

yyzdub