PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Bay

flying minstrel
22nd Nov 2004, 21:07
So, I've been trying to get a feel for life in Hong Kong by compiling a little background info on the internet. Discovery Bay has been mentioned a lot on this site so I've looked into the place a bit - it would seem that the area seems to be laid out like a resort.

My question is this; is it reasonable to assume that a family could live comfortably in a place such as this while putting a brood through school? I'm aware of the discussions and posts regarding the (kind of confusing) benefits package that is offered new joiners. Thanks to Silberfuchs et.al for all the information it's been a big help.

Not looking to open up a can of worms with regards to pay and benefits, just....trolling for opinions really.

Thanks in advance,

FM

Techo Taxi Driver
23rd Nov 2004, 05:53
Hi FM

Well, I don't live there (yet) so it's just what I've picked up. DB seems a fine place to live, everything is very handy. Works 20 mins away, HK is 25 mins by ferry and it seems to be pretty well serviced by shops around the plaza. It's definetly seems to be a place for young familys as there are heaps of baby's todlers and young kids lurking around. I've only looked at one school and that was the DBIS, I was quite impressed with that.

The thing that a lot of people don't seem to like about DB is that there are a heap of Cathay and Dragon pilots living there and people like to be able to get away from work when they get home. As far as I'm concerned, that's a matter of keeping your nose out of other peoples business and don't get involved in all that stupid gossip that is always connected to aviation.

At the end of the day, you'll live where you're comfortable. DB seems to me to be an easy transition to living in HK. The rents are affordable on the CX allowance, and you can always shift later if it's not your cup of tea.

Cheers and good luck
TTD

flying minstrel
23rd Nov 2004, 10:36
TTD,

Thanks much for that - exactly the kind of thing I was after...
At first blush I thought that the DBIS looked pretty good too, hopefully the edu. allowance would cover most of it - looked pretty pricey if I remember correctly.

Thanks again,

FM

Techo Taxi Driver
24th Nov 2004, 02:14
Yeah, not to bad. 71K but CX pays 75% of that, so you're left with HK$17750 which is only one months rent. Worth it for your kids education. The ESF schooling is also pretty good I believe, although there is no primary ESF in DB...yet

Cheers
TTD

Plastique
24th Nov 2004, 04:44
CX will pay up to 75% of the ESF fee level (DB is in the ESF catchment for Bauhinia School). DBIS charges significantly more, so you will have to make up the balance yourself (i.e. 25% of the ESF rate + the difference between ESF and DBIS).

flying minstrel
24th Nov 2004, 10:30
I really appreciate the information, thank you:ok:

Pardon the ignorance, but what does ESF stand for?

Canadian Beech
24th Nov 2004, 10:39
I've heard in other places that one thing the company won't pay is a 'debenture'... anyone shed light on this one?:confused:

HotDog
24th Nov 2004, 10:46
ESF=English School Foundation.

Plastique
24th Nov 2004, 11:22
A debenture is basically a refundable (or saleable) deposit you pay to the school before they will accept your kid.
For DBIS, the debenture is HK$150,000 (refundable) but you can pay a non-refundable debenture.

It's all covered on www.dbis.edu.hk
Also look at www.esf.edu.hk , specifically http://www.esf.edu.hk/news/for-parents-fees.pdf

It's all there, you just have to look (try to work out how to use google!).

flying minstrel
25th Nov 2004, 03:27
Very useful information - thanks.

Plastique, it sounds like you are quite familiar with this topic. If you don't mind my asking has your experience with this situation worked out fairly well? Not too much of an initial strain on the family finances and good quality of education etc...?

FM

Plastique
25th Nov 2004, 11:43
The quality of international school education is good, and easily beats the UK or USA, and is probably on a par with Canada.
Many of the schools are now doing international Bacculaureat programmes and the ESF in Shatin has some of the highest intl bac results in the world.
The decision to come to HK is a personal one.
Bear in mind:
the weak USD
the horrible air quality
the fact that your wife probably wont be able to work
before you decide.

flying minstrel
25th Nov 2004, 12:29
All good points and duly noted - appreciate the candor.
Here's perhaps an odd question; if a spouse was so motivated, would there be an opportunity to volunteer somewhere?

I suppose this is getting a little off-topic, but this is where the conversation has led...:O

FM

Plastique
26th Nov 2004, 11:15
There is plenty of scope to get involved in volunteering, and it is possible to get employment so long as she gets sponsored by a HK company.
This means working a full time job (in most cases). Teaching english would be a typical job where it is possible to get sponsored, but unfortunately english teachers without much experience tend to get a rough ride from the schools i.e. not a lot of job security and long hours.

rjer
26th Nov 2004, 16:10
So really, is it possible for someone to start with CX with 2 children ( 1 in school) and survive on a second officers income without starving or digging deeper into your savings account for a couple of years?

Also, does the pay go up every year from the start of your first day? or line check?

it seems to me that by the time you finished and were on line, you could be waiting only about 6 months before you get your first raise

thank you

flying minstrel
27th Nov 2004, 03:20
Plastique,

That is good news - domestic central command would be well-suited to an endeavour like the one you speak of. Should we ever find ourselves so lucky be in such a situation, it's nice to know that there may be some options.

Once again, I appreciate it.

FM

christep
27th Nov 2004, 10:26
Be aware though that spouses officially need an employment visa even to undertake voluntary work, although the Immigration Department says that they will "look favourably" on applications for such.

Slapshot
28th Nov 2004, 15:24
You may want to check out this thread, if you haven't already...

Cheers.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139212