PDA

View Full Version : theory question (birds!)

Olof
22nd Nov 2004, 11:57
Hey guys!

I've got a question concerning birds! Now, as I've understood it the best way of getting rid of birds is to either use "recorded distress signals" or a "land rover with loud speakers". The problem is that I've got feedback suggestion that shell crackers should be the best option (i.e not the signals nor the land rover). Any info about the correct way of getting rid of birds would be greatly appreciated!

Alex Whittingham
22nd Nov 2004, 12:03
If the feedback is from us we initially answered 'shell crackers' based on experience and what is used at most modern aerodromes. We have since found a UK CAA document relating to the control of birds where 'recorded distress calls' is cited as the most efficient means. Go for that.

Olof
22nd Nov 2004, 12:20
Many thanx Mr. Whittingham! That certainly cleares a few things out!

kebab kid
22nd Nov 2004, 17:44
the best way to get rid of a bird is to spend all you time and money on flying
:E

cheers, kk

underread east
23rd Nov 2004, 10:24
To elaborate: Birds can become habituated to the noise of shells, just as they get used to car, or indeed aircraft noise, and learn that it is not a threat to them, so don't fly off as intended. Reaction to distress calls, however, is instinctual and cannot be ignored by them, just in case one of their number has just spotted a predator....

Therefore, Alex is correct.

VFE
23rd Nov 2004, 18:04
'recorded distress calls'
So we should sit in front of a tape recorder and cry if we wanna lose the ole lady eh? What a cracking idea! :D

VFE.

RVR800
24th Nov 2004, 10:37
Yes the best way to get rid of birds is to sell all your assets and then take on a job as a full time flight instructor at 10K and keep badgering her to sign off your next loan for 737 type rating !!

:(