PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Art...

Nige321
22nd Nov 2004, 11:08
Well it is art...isn't it...??:8

Its advertising......that's what it is........?? :8 PPRuNe does NOT give free advertising space. So.........I have removed the url.:rolleyes:

BEagle
22nd Nov 2004, 11:17
No - it's $hite!

And it's "RAF", not "R.A.F."

Gainesy
22nd Nov 2004, 11:25
Me dog can draw better than that!

Although, to be fair, the four-engined Hampden is rather good.:yuk:

STANDTO
22nd Nov 2004, 12:13
Give the guy a break.

You will all have seen my stuff up here from time to time, and have been a lot kinder. I personally don't rate myself that highly, and just try to improve. That said, a recent visit to the Guild of Aviation Artists gallery at Cosford made me feel a lot better about myself

One thing for sure, it is all freehand stuff. He does more fantasy stuff than aviation. Each to their own.

http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/derekflintone/images/kite%203.jpg

AllTrimDoubt
22nd Nov 2004, 18:10
Looks like the airframe is bent in anticipation of a heavy landing!

Or maybe he's one of those court artists whose work appears on the news but never looks "quite right!"

yeah - ok....it's sh*te!

Tiger_mate
22nd Nov 2004, 19:07
It may not be very good, but he/she has tried, and with coaching (which the Guild of Aviation Artists are very good at) he/she will improve. For Art can be learnt/taught and requires very little natural talent in the early days. The composition itself is fine, however an appreciation of light accuracy and tone is required, and as stated, that can be learnt.

Standto`s comments would suggest disappointment at the GAvA Exhibition, but think out of the box; they are giving enthusiastic amateurs the same kudos as established professionals. For this they cannot be faulted. The exhibition changed the first week of November and I am yet to see the new one, but the previous one was fine.

I may be missing something, but was the original posting about the Sea Kings artist? Either way, give him some encouragement and one day he will do better than this years Rotary Award winner here:

http://www.gava.org.uk/images/2004_large/239.jpg

BEagle
22nd Nov 2004, 19:17
No, the original post referred to some computer-yoof digital images. Which were utter ****e. I honestly think that the ones I used to doodle in my prep school rough book were better.....

Flypro
22nd Nov 2004, 20:38
Pray tell what the point of this thread is if we don't have access the original URL:confused: :confused:

P.S. The Sea King is deplorable!!!!!!!

BEagle
22nd Nov 2004, 20:57
The SeaKing took a lot of effort and is vastly better than the stuff at the original URL.

It is art - and has much atmosphere. OK - it may not be 100% photo accurate, but if any of you - or me - could do better, it'd be nice to see it.

FJJP
23rd Nov 2004, 05:47
Can you please give me the artist's name/painting title - that will perhaps give me a chance to Google my way into the painting via the GAvA [or other] exhibitions website.

Molesworth Hold
23rd Nov 2004, 06:20
The “artist’s” name is Lee Twigger, if you Google you will find a link.

Nige321
23rd Nov 2004, 08:55
Sorry to the mods if the original post was construed as advertising - It was not meant to be...

There have been postings about these pics on various other sites - I wasn't really taking the :mad: but i do think the guy should improve a bit more before either selling or exhibiting his work...

Nige:O

STANDTO
23rd Nov 2004, 11:14
Perhaps I was misconstumbled about my GAVA comments. What I meant was that I consider myself an enthusiastic amateur, and when I saw some of the originals up close, I decided that I wasn't as bad as I keep kicking myself!.

I was a 'member' of the GAVA, but the rules stated you couldn't make reference to being a member unless they said you could. I didn't renew my subs only cos I am stuck on fraggle rock and couldn't easily get to any of their events.

LOve the Chinook painting - think it is one of Chas McHughs. Now I don't like some of his stuff, but this - marvellous!!

Anyway, whilst we are handing out kicking to artists..........

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/derekflintone/images/ltg.jpg

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Derek%20Flint%20One/myhomepage/skingweb.jpg :ok:

STANDTO
23rd Nov 2004, 13:54
Hang on, Mr Twigger might just have been having a bad day. This is OK:

http://images.artistportfolio.net/artists/4087/0/tiffypencil.jpg

I've lifted this from another page, just to demonstrate a point, cos he is selling stuff on there. However, lets just say he ain't charging thousands.

FJJP
23rd Nov 2004, 17:30
Mmmmh... Found his website and other examples of his work. Beags, as usual, hits the nail on the head - it is, what shall we say, a less than impressive collection...

Green Meat
23rd Nov 2004, 23:27
Hmm. 10 out of 10 for effort, but honestly, I'm astonished that so much of it is astonishingly bad, leetheastonishing (view the source code and revel in the self-appreciation!). Some of the pencil stuff is okay though, just steer clear of the paintings!

Have dabbled myself in the old representation arena, and so many of my efforts failed to make it to the web as they were, frankly, $hite. Self-criticism is no bad thing!

Incidentally, needs some pointers about web design, too :8

STANDTO
24th Nov 2004, 09:10
Quite an ego.

Not a FJ Pilot is he? Come on now, will the real Lee Twigger step forward....................

FatBaldChief
24th Nov 2004, 10:59
I found the subject Aviation 'Art' site.

Reminds me of the 'Vision On' Gallery.

All together now...... Dooooo de de dooooo de de de de de do de do!!!

Paint my bald heed and call me fatty :8

ralphmalph
25th Nov 2004, 22:10
dear all,
Anyone got any good SAR artwork?????

cheers

Ralph

Pontius Navigator
25th Nov 2004, 22:19
1 Group at Bawtry once commissioned a painting of a Vulcan prodding a Victor (or Valiant) in the 60s. Sh1t painting as it was a composite and the two aircraft could nou have been flying in formation.

Had the picture been true, a probe break was the least that could have happened with a mid-air more likely IF the two aircraft had been painted to scale.

Tarnished
30th Nov 2004, 14:58
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/penric/17Squadron.jpg

I like this one, manages to capture the spirit of the jet and the prevailing weather on the Fylde.

Regards

Tarnished

PPRuNe Pop
30th Nov 2004, 17:13
Tarnished. Please reduce the size so that we can see it without scrolling. 640x480 but NOT more that 700x490. It really spoils the effect of ANY picture. .........AND the narrative.

PPP

safetypee
30th Nov 2004, 18:24
PPRuNe Pop you obviously haven’t used ‘right click’ ‘view image’! Some of us appreciate the higher quality graphics; especially where we have good aviation art.
--------------------
Airspeed and Upwardness

BEagle
30th Nov 2004, 18:55
‘right click’ ‘view image’

How quaint! I thought it was 'right click', 'save picture as'....

Tarnished
30th Nov 2004, 22:10
Well its not so big any more, but I think I went too far......

Hate these infernal machines:*