PDA

View Full Version : Getting up front

disco_air
22nd Nov 2004, 06:34
Gday

I'm a wannabe finishing my ATPL subjects off at the moment and am going up to the Gold Coast for a couple of days in the near future.

As I dont get to go on the jets very often, I always want to see if I can have a look up front - childish i know!

Just wondering what the likelihood of getting that inflight on domestic flights these days?

Last time i got to do it was on a 146 LT - SY when I was 12...:(

Cheers

Disco

Tagneah
22nd Nov 2004, 22:43
Disco,

Not much chance of you getting up the front inflight but most crews would be happy to let you have a look at the end of the flight. Just ask one of the cabin crew.

Cheers

Tag

scrambler
22nd Nov 2004, 22:44
I would suggest that after sept 11 you have no show. Policies have changed. I have fond memories of Many Rides up front, but dont even ask these days.

DirectAnywhere
23rd Nov 2004, 01:01
Not allowed inflight - certainly with QF. Ask one of the cabin crew or write an introductory letter for them to give to the Captain explaining your interest and most crew will be only too happy to oblige.

Whiskey226
23rd Nov 2004, 01:13
The only way I've found of getting up there is to

a) Work for the airline
AND
b) Have your ASIC on you
AND
c) hope the crew agrees to your childish request!:O

Having said that, I try at every opportunity:D

Aussie
23rd Nov 2004, 05:55
Yeah mate, i just flew DJ from Launy to Syd, and sat in the cockpit for 10 or so mins after the flight, no dramas!

Biatch
25th Nov 2004, 00:03
or be a family member/person on staff members travel benifits list

jetstar1
25th Nov 2004, 22:28
Unless you have an ASIC your chances are V E R Y slim unfortunately. New cockpit doors are required to be closed for the entire flight. Also, generally for jumpseating the passenger must be seated from start up to shut down.
Definately ask ground crew if you can poke your head in the door on the way past though. ;)

spindoctor
26th Nov 2004, 03:57
Dr Oakenfold

I assume you are travelling from SY, if so your a/c will be the Air Van 733 (yj-av18) as opposed to the Airwork 733 (zk-sla) The crew are all a good bunch but the rules are pretty much the same as stated above.

BTW "Tuskers" can be bought in bulk with a club card (you don't have to be a member) at the habourside bar in Vila.

:O

cornholyo
20th Dec 2004, 03:58
In order to improve your chances, start by slipping on a blonde wig
and a pair of melons under your shirt. Shave.

Soon the worm will turn and pilots will once again rule the world:

No BOC
21 days off a month
50% payrise
and bimbos in the jumpseat................

:ok:

:eek:

:hmm:

:zzz:

Ultralights
21st Dec 2004, 08:49
a) Work for the airline
AND
b) Have your ASIC on you
AND
c) hope the crew agrees to your childish request!

Having said that, I try at every opportunity

i have all of the above, and since 9/11 No chance!! i have had one flight, into cairns, where the captain told me via a crew member that i could have alook after we land, but there is no point to that.

oh well, one day life will be back to normal, just hope are are young enough to remember the good Ole days before terrorism.

*Lancer*
21st Dec 2004, 10:55
Ultralights, staff passengers are permitted up the front, but it has to be for the duration of the flight. You don't even have to have an ASIC on you. Its probably point c that has stopped it from happening so far...

OZBUSDRIVER
22nd Dec 2004, 03:42
The last time I ever got an invite up the front was on one of the DC3s out of EN. Jumpseat on night approach to 26 on a calm summers eve. Absolute magic! First class feed and a first class flight. Fear has taken away the last chance an average punter had of seeing the pro's in action.

I never realised how high up you are with the tail down.:D

ITCZ
22nd Dec 2004, 12:35
Unfortunately, if you don't work for the outfit, I don't like your chances.

Cop this one....

A year or so back, one of my colleagues asked his young son (a pax) to come up and take a look where Dad worked. All other pax had disembarked, caterers and cleaners just about done, and the aircraft was terminating.

Young son took a look inside Dad's office.

Two days later, Dad finds a 'please explain' in his pigeonhole at sign on.

One of his flight attendants that day had dobbed him in for a security breach!!

And I could tell you about the absolute drama a pig-headed APS wannabe-cop caused when I went on the apron, in uniform, with my old man to show him my office. My company had been advised, the airport safety officer was in the loop, dad had gone through security screening....

With 'friends' like these........ :hmm:

Most pilots would LOVE to show you our office. We loved it when we were kids and wannabes. The majority would love to return the favour, but the crap that might come our way from some 'security' drone.

Should any flight crew be kind enough to act on your request, do not forget to thank them for doing so. And not blab to all and sundry about what a top bloke bill shaggs is for letting you up the front of QB123 for a night approach into YSXX.

Is all this 'security' and politically correct crap worth it for a couple of years of low mortgage rates?

I think not. The world is definitely NOT a better place:*

masseygrad
22nd Dec 2004, 13:40
Yip, hurry back the days when the captain can allow cockpit visits.

Or... try a different part of the world, e.g. Africa. Jumpseat rides, no problem (if you're a pilot yourself). Been allowed up front in a 737 every time I've flown this year.

Daniel Beurich
24th Dec 2004, 05:14
If Youre flying from Sydney to Gold Coast (coolangatta) you'll be in a 737-800 (if youre flying QF). You wont see the cockpit in flight, but they almost always let you in teh cockpit once the aircraft has landed.

Ive done it about 10 times or so.

Daniel