PDA

View Full Version : Air2there...?

haughtney1
19th Nov 2004, 18:06
Anyone know if these guys are up and operational?....and if so...whats the verdict so far?

Sqwark2000
19th Nov 2004, 23:33
haughtey...

Was in Blenheim yesterday when the Air2there.com C208 was there on a press junket. Pilot plus 1, presumably the owner, flew in to show off the machine to invited press. Only there for 20mins before blasting off to the Waiarapa me thinks. C208 still has N registration so not yet operational but close i would think.

C208 decidely looked 2nd hand.

S2K

flying ginge
20th Nov 2004, 00:44
is the company doing IFR air transport in the C.208?

troppo
20th Nov 2004, 04:47
there was a bit in yesterday's dominion about them. open day on saturday at pram.

what ever happened to that air kapiti/air wairarapa outfit a couple of years ago that was started up by the titty doctor with a chieftain? i remember him saying at the time it had cost him nearly a million bucks for the start up including the plane :ouch:

haughtney1
20th Nov 2004, 16:22
Squark....

The cheif pilot sent me an email a little while back explaining things were all on track.......as im on the other side of the world flying 208's....I was just a little curious.

Watch this space I guess:cool:

Cheif???..he cooks as well?....chief even:p

VH-VIN
23rd Nov 2004, 07:24
Its going to be hard for them operating a C208 VFR on those runs with the weather the way it is.
At this stage they dont even have a VFR AOC so the SEIFR would be a long way away as CAA dont give those out to easly.
There have been alot of airlines come and go over the years on these sectors and all start with a hiss and a roar and a big media hipe then go down the girgler soon after.
At the end of the day the only ones left are good old Soundsair and air NZ.
I think this will another one to join the long list like City Jet did.

haughtney1
23rd Nov 2004, 14:49
Dont even get me started on cityjet..........they pissed off a few of the wrong people with big ego's..and hey presto!....AOC removed.
One of the reasons I left NZ....you know the story.

cheers H

Sqwark2000
23rd Nov 2004, 18:24
Seems the C208 has a back up IFR machine available in the form of Cheiftain ZK-WHW (?) . Same air2there.com logos plastered down the sides. Both machines seen at Air Freight maintenance hanger in PM on Monday.

Maybe could be the stink wx machine if the VFR C208 can't get away.

CAA has been quite cautious in the past about new start up's going straight into IFR ops. One Company I recall even had a CAA bod attend and observe a 3 day ground course for a PA31 Navajo before they were permitted to start ATOPs with the PA-31.

S2K

haughtney1
23rd Nov 2004, 18:53
NO one in NZ other than those that have the ear of the CAA...or have something to use against them will ever be allowed to grow any larger than a set size.....Kiwi Air...Cityjet..are just a few names in the past that have run foul of officialdom...and in general for issues that have been minor at best. Could you imagine Air Nelson being grounded for mis-reporting flight times..then owning up..and then carrying out the corrective actions?......me neither:rolleyes:

VFR in the Van is great fun...till it gets marginal...remember ZK-SFR

have a read at this link

http://www.investigatemagazine.com/march00jet.htm

A4 gunnie
23rd Nov 2004, 21:45
Sqwark2000

I see that WHW is registered to a close friend of air2there, but MCM a PA 31 350 that has been sitting at DTI for the last 2 years has been purchased by air2there, could this be there IFR back up?

If so I hope it has had a lot of work done on it!

troppo
24th Nov 2004, 04:48
whilst i know little of the management side...for all the doubters i wouldn't write this one off too soon. I be thinking niche market and multiple revenue streams (mba grad speaking):p
The tie in that they have with rapid freight and pronto parcels will serve to fill capacity on the most expensive freight sector in new zealand (cook strait).
i remember city jet (as an insider)...gidday willie ;)
i wish them luck...it would be nice to see a success story for a change rather than ending up as another sign on the aero club wall in wellington

Sqwark2000
24th Nov 2004, 17:59
A4 gunnie,

Yep could well be, couldn't remember if it was MCM or WHW, though do remeber WHW spends alot of time at PP so made an semi-educated guess.

Come to think of it, I remember the pilot reading back alot of Mikes in a callsign with the current atis, and the weather was pretty good so doubt it was weather Whiskey.

As long as they don't step on any toes they may be left well alone to do their own thing, but if they try push in on someones niche then they will be subject to the same treatment as Citijet & Kiwi. Nature of the commercial world.

S2K

haughtney1
24th Nov 2004, 18:39
Squark.....Have you ever had the chance to read Bransons Autobiography?.."losing my Virginity" aptly named me thinks. There is an interesting segment related to BA's treatment of Virgin throught its early years....fortunately Virgin was able to fight back....keep in business..and perhaps best of all..expose the perpetrators of injustice and dirty tricks..in this case BA..through the civil courts.
Kiwi..Cityjet..and others never had this opportunity...because put quite simply NZ is a closed shop..the big boys have the ear (and depending on who you listen too..the balls) of the regulator..I personally dont believe its a commercial reality...its more of a club for the boys...the boys with the inside track, its a cartel.

Air2there..if they do it right..will get in with the CAA..get some dirt on someone..(hopefully the director..and mayby the minister of transport) then hey presto...assured success!

ok ok the last bit might be a bit extreme...but I standby my thoughts...its happened sooooo many times in the past.

H
:ok: