PDA

View Full Version : Here's a good one.

Jonny Knox
19th Nov 2004, 02:13
Do you agree with G.A outfits taking on people to fly for free or for gas money, and do you agree with the poeple who fly for free, and why?

grrowler
19th Nov 2004, 08:09
No... why? Cos it's illegal, what do you reckon, you twit!:yuk: Actually , more :yuk: against the guys who do it!

Ultralights
19th Nov 2004, 08:15
Im not sure if it is illegal. i know its illegal to make financial gain carriny pax or cargo without a valid commercial licence, but if there is no net financial gain, then it might be legal. in not 100% sure, havent read up on the latest rules and regs regarding this.

currawong
19th Nov 2004, 09:45
Ultralights - "GA outfits" are employers and therefore supposed to pay award wages.

Some do not and make it hard for those that do.

It can be especially hard for a brand new CPL that has travelled from one end of the country to the other for a job where the paycheck never arrives.

Woomera
20th Nov 2004, 00:24
Correction:

Ultralights - "GA outfits" are employers and therefore required to pay award wages.

flyby_kiwi
20th Nov 2004, 20:36
Knox,

In short - NO

But be carefull about assuming too much about people/outfits that appear to do this as its often a (and legit) way around income tax to employ someone as a contractor or to pay someone through a non taxible allowance whateva tittle they give it (ie 'gas money).
Scenario: Would you rather drive to the airport to fly for an hour and get 100$ non-taxed travel allowance or no TA but earn 20$ through the 'normal channels?
On a small scale it can work out easier for both employer and employee and given the fact that most part-time GA people in NZ anyway wouldnt earn more than 10k per year it seems fitting.
Sounds too complicated to me the exact details behind doing it but I think youll find it can be done.

But work for nothing - of course not!

Jonny Knox
24th Nov 2004, 20:10
Hey grrowler (never had one) just bringing up a good discussion point you remus 'twit'. next time you log on with a dipstick up your ar*e don't bother replying to one of my topics.
JK

Carnegie Wah
24th Nov 2004, 20:20
Nice one Knoxxy,
and I do tend to agree with the 'remus', the guys who fly for free, are just the same as those slippery wan#ers who go and buy themselves a little 737 rating or whatever. It's always been the same. It just F%cks it up for all the good guys who are prepared to work hard and come up the ranks, I flew just about everything with wings before I was able to jump in the big people movers, however wouldn't change a thing.

grrowler
26th Nov 2004, 00:23
hey Jonnyboy,
tad touchy buddy. As you pointed out, this is a discussion; that means that you make your argument or point, and others agree or disagree. I don't like ppl who work for free, and when someone asks the question as though it could be a reasonable option, I presume they are "twits", perhaps I was wrong. Would you prefer a "I strongly disagree with ppl who work for free because it ruins the industry earnings potential, pay under the 'safetynet' is illegal, and it destroys job security, as the employers always have readily available 'slave labour' knocking at the door" It's still the same sh*t whatever you coat it in.

And if I feel like making a post on one of "your topics" I will.
cheers

LocoDriver
26th Nov 2004, 07:28
An interesting topic.

I have placed a few pilots within the industry over the last few years, and will not recomend any of the 'slippery' ones who 'buy' flash type ratings.
The ones who make the best pilots (in my opinion) are the ones who pay for it themselves(not with daddys money or a student loan), 'cause they get some life experience on the way, and dont expect the world to owe them a living.

I would never employ one who wants to work for 'nothing' or 'hours', they are just in too much of a hurry!

A lot of what makes a good pilot, or instructor, is personality.

The ones who ahve, and are, working for nothing, are only making it hard for the rest, and are actually cheapening the whole industry!
No wonder some GA employer dont want to pay, why should they, when these twits will do it for nothing.

We want professional ,safe pilots, not lackeys.

Enough said, back to the bug smasher.

Pass-A-Frozo
29th Nov 2004, 03:12
I would have thought it was illegal to pay an employee below minimum wage regardless of if the person is happy with that.
:confused: