PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft over DB at 4:00am?

airhead10
18th Nov 2004, 01:13
Anyone care to clarify this?

http://www.dbfleamarket.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=dbt;action=display;num=1100694779

Aeroplane at 4 in the Morning
« on: Nov 17th, 2004, 8:32pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did anyone else hear that low flying aeroplane fly over Discovery Bay at 4 this morning? This happened a couple of weeks ago as well. What is the reason for this? Is anyone else worried an aeroplane will crash into the mountainside? How can we stop these late night noisy flights?

likewise

Re: Aeroplane at 4 in the Morning
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 9:25pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I heard it too.

There's a number to call at the airport for making a complaint about that. I've done it before and they always report back what happened. In some cases it was rogue pilots on cargo flights trying to save fuel. They can take action against the offending airline.
Unfortunately, I've lost the number. Anyone know what it is?

Geraldo

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 10:01pm » Quote Modify

you mean like "over discovery bay"
that should not be possible, planes are supposed to turn over the bridge and stay on the channel between lantau and kowloon for a while. Most probably it will be a cargo, but even then ...

weird, did you notice this just once or regurarly ? Try to contact Airport Authority at 2188 7111 or by fax to 2824 0717, post here if you don't get any reply, please

febee

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 10:18pm »

yes we were woken up by it too!! will give that number a try, thanks.

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 11:01pm » Quote Modify

when it happened a couple of weeks ago, it woke me up... it was sooooooo loud that i actually waited for a crash!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heard it again last night, but it didn't seem as loud as the first time!

N1 Vibes
22nd Nov 2004, 00:41
Arhead10

a few points, don't forget, you live 10 miles from a major international airport. Some a/c do approach CLK on the 'backside' of Lantau. The world is a very quiet place at 4am. And jets are very noisy.

Brgd's

North Lantau Resident - Noisy All The Time

airhead10
22nd Nov 2004, 05:50
Thanks N1 Vibes - the comments weren't from me actually, but have been posted at the DB Fleamarket site, I was merely seeking comment. Can't say I've heard 'em myself! Must sleep too soundly!

bekolblockage
23rd Nov 2004, 22:37
In fact the new RNAV SIDs turn almost a mile further east.

The problem is invariably caused by older generation aircraft (generally cargo) that engage AP too early and fail to fly-over the first waypoint as required.

spleener
26th Nov 2004, 11:44
Dear DB residents, jets are noisy. Remember: you have a choice.

Bekolblockage: what a load. .. You have control.

bekolblockage
27th Nov 2004, 00:29
OK spleener

Of course you have control - but clearly some operators don't, otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it! We're not talking about aircraft on or close to the normal SID track, but those that carry out gross tracking errors.

Seeing as it needs to be spelt out to you:

1) Most departures between 11pm and 7 am use Rwy 07R

2) Between these hours ALL SIDs follow the same initial track for noise abatement

3) The first waypoint is PORPA

4) PORPA is designated as a "fly-over" waypoint (primarily because of terrain not DB)

5) Older Nav systems on (typically) older cargo aircraft cannot distinguish beween "fly-over" and "fly-by"

6) AP engagement before PORPA causes anticipation of turn and fly-by of PORPA

I couldn't give a stuff about the noise they make, but when one clips the top of the hill and ends up in my living room at 4 am its gunna upset my day.

throw a dyce
29th Nov 2004, 22:27
Hey Bekol,I see you still ain't holding back.Good on ya cos you're right of course.
I saw a few of the old cargo crates doing the early right turn from both ATC and in my DB living room and it wasn't pretty.From ATC it was gut wrenching especially at night.You tried to get him out of there knowing he was heading for serious granite and pray that it didn't hit.The good old CAD would hang your balls out if it did.Not sure why but they'd think of something.
I also saw an old 742 stagger over the golf course in the early days at about 300 ft.How he got round the high ground God knows but it certainly stopped play for a while;and that was by day!!
Wasn't as good as the 747 piggie back off 07R,but that's for another time.Bring back Kai Tak!!! Ex Dogs and Babies:D