PDA

View Full Version : CAA cover-up

false memory
17th Nov 2004, 19:08
I was speaking to a friend of mine before who has a UK licence that was on a flight to Tamsworth that was involved in an in-flight emergency.

My friend is really angry as he thinks the CAA is covering up the incident as a CAA examiner was the pilot.

He said he got to the airport early as he was interested in aviation, he said he saw the examiner do like a really quick walk around. I thought it was strange that no engineer was there to dispatch the aeroplane; my friend said he spends more time to get one of his small aeroplanes ready for flight.

He said while they were in cloud, the aeroplane had ice all over it and then one of the engines started to have problems and at the shortly after the aeroplane felt like it was doing aerobatics, he thought he was dead. Apparently another friend had to tell the examiner how to fly the aeroplane in cloud as the examiner could not understand the instruments. He said he was scared for his life when they came out of cloud very close to the ground in an unusual turn.

He was really angry after they landed to overhear phone calls between the examiner and the owner as they got their story together; apparently the problems with the aeroplane were there before they took off.

My friend rang another CAA examiner at Tamsworth who dismissed what he had to say, said he did not know what he was talking about and the examiner did the right thing.

He is even more angry now that the story is a feature in a CAA magazine as a good example of what pilots should do, do know about Australia but here passenger don’t like it when pilots don’t take time to read the weather forecast, or fly an aeroplane without doing aerobatics in cloud.

This does not say much for safety in Australia when incidents like this are not investigated, eye witnesses who was a pilot not taken seriously, and it seems the examiner and owner have covered it up.

Why does this happen in Australia, don’t think it would happen here in the U.K.?

Woomera
17th Nov 2004, 22:06
Ho hum. End of another quiet week in Dunnunda! :O

Editorial Comment:
1. If the post above is purported to have occurred in Australia, there is no airport called "Transworth".

2. The CAA is the UK aviation regulatory authority.

3. There are major operational flaws in the first three paragraphs.

Rumours and news are one thing. Fables another!

Appropriate PPRuNe user name, by the way! :ok:

Woomera

Icarus2001
18th Nov 2004, 00:23
False memory, some points for your consideration:

1. Re type your post it is incoherent.

2. Tamsworth could possibly be Tamworth, NSW?

3. If it was covered up why was it "featured" in a CASA magazine?

4. What point are you trying to make?

5. You are from the UK, learn to use the local language!

swh
18th Nov 2004, 02:05
Icarus2001,

Not aware of any UK airline serving Tamworth, a little latitude may be in order, if Woomera can mis type "Transworth" and false memory said "Tamsworth" I think its easy enough to let that one go to the keeper.

This might be referring to the "The Right Stuff - Maximum Performance" (http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/fsa/04oct/20-22.pdf), many accident/incidents are "featured" in this magazine.

The article says the bloke is a CASA ATO, most places in the world they are referred to as examiners, they used to be called examiners and the CAA/DCA/DoT etc here in Australia if you are old enough to remember.

The article says that "I did not see any ice on the airframe", then "some light rime ice", false memory said "the aeroplane had ice all over it ". In the article it says they were at "which 6,200 ft was around 2 deg Celsius", "suspected some rime ice could have been building up in the induction-air intake", so then they climbed in cloud further into icing conditions ?

Maybe the FOIs comments in the article could have explored why the aircraft could not maintain altitude more and mention about how icing can be fatal, maybe the freezing level was below any normal IFR height (8,000), as they were going to depart and level off at LSALT (6,200) according to the article.

Also it would have been an opportunity to mention to people that freezing levels reduce and icing is more sever over mountain ranges.

I do not know if the photos were taken from the actual aircraft, the one shown does not seem to have any anti-ice on the windscreen.

Glad everyone got out okay.

:ok:

Icarus2001
18th Nov 2004, 02:50
swh I didn't mention a UK airline and neither did false memory.:confused:

As to flying around in PA31 etc above the freezing level with NO ANTI ICE or DE ICE our friends in NSW & VIC do this every day in Winter. Almost standard Ops, does anyone do anything about it? Not until someone dies (again)

swh you are right we I could have let the spelling of Timwurth go through to the keeper. Although probably not on the England cricket team.:oh: but this line indicated where he was going with this...
Why does this happen in Australia, don’t think it would happen here in the U.K.? That is right up there with my airline is better than your airline.:sad:

swh
18th Nov 2004, 04:09
McMurtrie_KJ,

In light of your post below, I have decided to edit my original post.

Apologises if information taken from your cut down article published in the CASA journal suggested that you did anything illegal or unprofessional. May I suggest you publish the full unedited article to clear the air.

The current issue (http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/fsa/04oct/index.htm) of CASA's safety magazine illustrates two incidents in the central coast region of NSW where the skill of the PIC overcame significant weather to complete their flights.

Understandably aspects of this incident are still under investigation by CASA, if readers have information to contribute to the investigation it would be more appropriate to forward it to CASA Tamworth office ([email protected]) by email, or by telephone on 131 757.

This is a good time to reflect on the the clear warning "As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, to elicit certain reactions." that is at the bottom of every page.

swh :ok:

puff
18th Nov 2004, 10:55
False

If your 'friend' had a similar way of communication with the 'CAA' no matter they dismissed what they had to say. The a/c in question was never flying to 'Tamsworth' in the first place, I guess your friend must not have been aware he was on a charter to Gunnedah, easy mistake to make I guess!

If you were to read the article it does mention that the PIC was receiving help from another pilot in the RHS because of instrument failure on his side of the cockpit, how this corresponds to a seasoned experienced pilot having to be told how to fly I don't know. Anyone with real flying experience in light twins would appreciate the problems with having to fly in real IMC on the standby instruments because of their poor location, using available personnel onboard the a/c like this is excellent CRM and using all resources available for the safe outcome of the aircraft and passengers.

Knowing the PIC personally he is highly experienced, seasoned pilot and a top bloke i'm sure many others on this board who probably 2nd the fact that he was instrumental in them getting through the MECIR. If something was to go pear shaped in a lightie, he'd be one of the guys i'd want in the LHS.

Perhaps your 'friend' has a personal axe to grind rather than any real 'safety' concerns.

McMurtrie_KJ
18th Nov 2004, 11:52
As the person who was flying the aircraft, which seems to be generating so much interest, and as I have been made aware of the ridiculous posting by "false memory"?, appropriately named yourself!, I feel the need to mention some things.

Firstly, I have a clear conscience that I did everything correct and legally on the day, and to the best of my ability. All I was doing was my job, and what I've been trained to do, and that I dont need to explain any of my actions to anyone on a "rumour billboard".

As far as the lies told by "False memory" go, the only truthful piece of information you have written was that your "friend" feared for their life, well I can support that statement, because I certainly did for a while also. Everything else in your posting is untruthful, and you know it.

I don't need to hide behind anonymity, and I dont understand why anyone who had anything worthwile to say or contribute to anything would have to hide behind a pseudo name. You all know who I am, and where I work, if you have anything remotely constructive to say, or any suggestions on how I could do things better, give me a call.

P.S. The other "pseudo names" who have commented, thanks for your supportful feedback, however, some of your statements are in error, and understandably as you only read from the article published in the CASA journal, and it only partially reflects what occurred due to the journals editing of my original report to save space in the publication.

Regards KM

Woomera
20th Nov 2004, 20:31
Would the person who contacted me regarding this thread, please contact again and advise a valid email address?

Woomera