PDA

View Full Version : NATS Eyesight Requirements

uk
4th Dec 2001, 15:44
I'm a bit peeved because I've just received a letter from NATS recruitment informing me that my application for Student ATC cannot proceed because my eyesight is outside the limits required to obtain the Class 1 medical. THIS IS AFTER I SENT THEM A COPY OF MY CLASS 1 MEDICAL! - I've already been to Gatwick, paid my £400 and got the damn thing! What is going on? Is the Class 1 for ATC in any way different (ie more strict) than for pilot? If so, why?
Cheers
UK

Warped Factor
4th Dec 2001, 16:51
uk,

Is your current Class 1 a JAR one?

I'm not sure what the differences are, but UK ATCO's are still medically examined under the old UK CAA Class 1 rules.

You should be able to find the requirements for both of them at the SRG Medical web site...

SRG Website (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/pld/med/med_home.asp)

WF.

uk
4th Dec 2001, 21:30
My medical is a JAA Class 1 issued by the UK CAA at Gatwick. I've looked into the differences between the old CAA and new JAA and for my particular problem (astigmatism), the limits are the same. What I think has happened is that the NATS medical branch has taken one look at my prescription and made an immediate ruling without noticing that I already hold a Class 1 - something they're trying to tell me I will never be able to do.