PDA

View Full Version : A few modular questions...

thejakes
15th Nov 2004, 16:31
Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there could give me a few pointers and clarify a few issues that I have searched for on this website and found ideas, but nothing specific to my personal situation.

I orginally was going to go to Oxford in Jan to do their APP, but finances deterred me from doing so and I have recently come to believe that the course would not necessarily justify the £20k difference from a modular course.

I live in Southampton with my Mum (I'm 22) at the moment and would preferably like to keep costs down to a minimum (but get value for money), so a distance learning groundschool may be preferable, but:

a) can one do a distance learning course full-time and still complete it in the same time frame as a residential one?

b) are distance learners still able to achieve high marks without the teaching? (I suppose it comes down to self-discipline, but what if you need things explaining?)

c) do airlines REALLY look at where you've done your training, if so where do I find out the most reputable modular schools?

I like the look of the 'structured' full-time modular course at European Pilot Training Academy (EPTA) at Bournemouth and think it would suit me down to the ground, but maybe somewhere like bristol ground school would get me better results and I wouldn't have to pay for accommodation? but then I'd have to live at home!!!! Argghh, I'm so confused!!!

d) does anyone know any statistics for the best schools in terms of highest grades for each module? That would be interesting...

e) I read somewhere on this site that EPTA may not have been the best school for networking and airline connections. If so, what are people's view on which school is?

e) anyone used "beapilot.co.uk" - are they any good? how much do they charge (they haven't got back to me yet)?

I'm sorry for the essay, I hope someone can help, I'd love to hear from some people who've been in similar situations, or been through certain schools, or are currently paid to fly (whatever job) and have been through say EPTA, and what they thought of them.

Thanks a lot.
theJakes

The Greaser
15th Nov 2004, 17:20
Distance learning, if done full time can be as quick if not quicker than a residential groundschool. There is always someone to help if you have queries either on the phone or email plus the end of module consolidation courses are very good revision should you have any major problems.
I don't honestly believe airlines care where you have done your training, there are many people on these forums (myself included)who will assure you that modular is no disadvantage.
As for different schools, Bristol are excellent and I believe you can view their results online. You are within easy reach of Bournemouth and Southampton airports, plenty of choice for
flight training, I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions on here, all I would say is go and visit all the schools that interest you and ask questions.

Good Luck

thejakes
15th Nov 2004, 17:32
Thanks 'The Greaser', v nice reply (and quick!)

Yep I'm gonna visit EPTA and talk to them.

Just out of interest, if distance learning is just as effective as residential, then why doesn't everyone do it, 'cos its cheaper isn't it?

It'd be nice to hear of anyone looking to go to EPTA in the New Year.

Cheers...

The Greaser
15th Nov 2004, 17:57
The majority of people who opt for distance learning do it concurrently with earning a living, hence it provides more flexibility. You can do it as quickly or slowly as your spare time allows.

helicopter-redeye
15th Nov 2004, 18:36
You sound perfectly located in Southampton. There are two schools at least in B'mouth.

The other one there is GTS (www.gtserv.co.uk).

I should add the other being BCFT, advertised at the top of this page (sorry I was distracetd and pressed the \'send\' button too soon).

The Greaser
15th Nov 2004, 18:41
Check out Carill Aviation at Southampton as well. Very good, smaller school for flight training elements.

PGT
16th Nov 2004, 11:01
but maybe somewhere like bristol ground school would get me better results and I wouldn't have to pay for accommodation? but then I'd have to live at home

Hi The Jakes

I wouldn't recommend commuting from Southampton to Bristol, or anywhere further than a few miles really.

The ATPL courses are very intensive and require time in the evenings, for most people, as well as the time in class if residential.

I do know people who commendably have commuted on a full time (or residential) course, but they would be the first to admit it was extra pressure.

Personally I would short list the schools you fancy and visit them, regardless of location, then make your decision. If you end up staying in accomodation to do the course, that can be a good thing too, fewer distractions.

Feel free to email me or PM if you need more help.

Regards

Pete B

Keith.Williams.
16th Nov 2004, 11:34
We (EPTA) are having an open day on Saturday (20th November).

If you are thinking of training at EPTA or simply looking for a place to do your training, you may like to come along to see our facilities and meet the staff and students.

TenAndie
16th Nov 2004, 17:07
thejakes..........

I am going down to EPTAUK next week to visit and hopefully will be starting the course on Jan 3rd. I will also be living in Southampton with a friend so we will have to keep in touch for transport etc.

Give me a PM when you have been down and we can compare notes.

Where you at with your flying ??

thejakes
18th Nov 2004, 16:48
I can't make the open day on sat, but will prob be going to look at it the following weekend. Are u doing full-time modular, what's your plan? Are you doing the USA module first? One thing I did want to know is if there are set course dates, or can u start at any time u want? If u could let me know, it'll save me a phone call (i know it's lazy and prob just as much effort as writing this)...

Think I might do the ground school with bristol at home - they get good results and i can do it in my own time (and cheaper accomodation)...

MAX
19th Nov 2004, 08:08
A close friend worked full time, completed the 14 exams in less time than the residential course and averaged 95%. You will have to study your cajones off and use all the resources the school offers. If they were doing it again would take a longer time frame, as its havoc on the social life.

They also did their flight training at small unknown schools and read countless HR books on interview prep and passing selection tests. Their first job offer a month after completing IR. It can be done.

I think it requires dedication, oodles of networking, a smart suit and most of all..........LUCK!!

At 22 I would take my time and get it right first time.

You lucky, lucky, B"@*"*D.

MAX:cool:

thejakes
19th Nov 2004, 08:19
Great thanks for the advice.

Its the networking that I'm a bit lost with - how do you choose the best school for networks, or is it not about networking through the school? Where and how do you start to network?