PDA

View Full Version : Lost Bombs

3RAR
14th Nov 2004, 11:42
Anyone heard of the 75 sqdn (Tindal) losing a bomb on Moololoo station in the NT? I got the story yesterday from a chopper pilot but not shure if it was true, live bomb or a dummy. True info or lies.

Let me know.

Sunfish
14th Nov 2004, 11:50
Who cares? There is stuff everywhere and unless you are brainless barry and hammer on the pointy end (or the back end) nothing is going to happen. Same with sea mines in the barrier reef. Got sick of tripping over fings at P&E Greytown.

OK BD experts - have a go.

3RAR
14th Nov 2004, 12:03
Perhaps no one cares at all when it falls in the middle of no where, no one that is but the dumb ringer that falls off his horse and onto the pointy end himself. However, there was the case of a dummy (bomb, not ringer) detaching over Darwin and all but destroying a civilian car. I could be wrong on this but I think the case may still be going for compo.

My point is that if it happens from time to time then is it more likley to happen closer to the airport of orogin or destination, being Tindal, near Katherine, or Darwin.

Dose anyone know how common this really is?

Woomera
14th Nov 2004, 21:34
Google "Broken Arrows", which pails into insignificance any losses by the RAAF!

Obiwan
14th Nov 2004, 22:39
They dropped an inert Sidewinder on a Toyota ute once. Toyota got great advertising mileage out of the fact that only a missile could stop a Toyota ;)

woomera - here's all the definitions. Technically - the movie 'Broken Arrow' should have been 'Empty Quiver'.

DEFINITIONS

The following terms are taken verbatim from U.S. Defense Department Directive 5230.16, "Nuclear Accident and Incident Public Affairs (PA) Guidance," issued December 20, 1993:

BROKEN ARROW
A Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff term to identify and report an accident involving a nuclear weapon or warhead or nuclear component.
NUCLEAR WEAPON ACCIDENT
An unexpected event involving nuclear weapons or nuclear components that results in any of the following:

0. Accidental or unauthorized launching, firing, or use by U.S. forces or U.S supported Allied forces of a nuclear-capable weapons system.
1. An accidental, unauthorized or unexplained nuclear detonation.
2. Non-nuclear detonation or burning of a nuclear weapon or nuclear component.
3. Radioactive contamination.
4. Jettisoning of a nuclear weapon or nuclear component.
5. Public hazard, actual or perceived.

BENT SPEAR
A Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff term used in the Department of Defense to identify and report a nuclear weapon significant incident involving a nuclear weapon or warhead, nuclear components, or vehicle when nuclear loaded.
EMPTY QUIVER
A reporting term to identify and report the seizure, theft, or loss of a U.S. nuclear weapon.
FADED GIANT
A reporting term to identify an event involving a nuclear reactor or radiological accident.

tric1960
16th Nov 2004, 07:56
Dunno about Broken Arrow, but when I was at 25SQN we had a Lopsided Macchi.

A Macchi taxied back to the lines with a tip tank missing, somewhere over Gin Gin. They never did find it. I recall to that the pilot didn't realise he had lost it until the groudie asked what happened to it, can't verify this part though.:hmm: