PDA

View Full Version : What Flight Path to Take for my career?

AIRLEBANON
14th Nov 2004, 05:20
Dear All

This is the first topic I have started on these great forums, I am currently Suffering from a Little Dilema which does not need to be a dilema but I do like to plan everything ahead so that if something does not work out I can always change my plans so here its goes with my 2 plans to acheiving my FATPL, I would like for anyone to offer me thier point of view with regards t which plan is the best way forward.

PLAN A

I am getting my PPL in April after Saving up like and Working hard like an animal and Slave, After I get it i enrol onto a Ground school here in the UK for my ATPL Modules ground school, Mianly London Metrolopitan University at a Cost of about 2500 Pounds which starts on the 31 of May 2005 and Ends in January 2006, My parents Live in London and I am currently living with them, But I dont want to live with them when I start my ATPL obviously it would mean saving a lot of money in the long run but There is a lot of distraction in my house hold mainly loads of arguments and Childrens so Not a lot of concentration can be done.
Then from January 2006 to March 2006 Get my CPL/IR ME and an Instructuro's rating, Then From March Onwards start looking for a Job as either a freight dog or as an instructor so to build hours for a whole year meaning by may 2007 I will have at least 800 Hours or more depending how much flying I get, which I think I can get plenty I have 2 nationalities and can speak 3 languages Fluently and can blag my way through an interview like you have never seen.

PLAN B

Get my PPL in April then enrol onto the London Metropolitan University or Buckinghamshire shiltern university in september 2005 Aviation Management Degree as a direct entract to the second year, the course in the second year will include the modules I need for my ATPL theory, along with other aviation Management Modules, this will take me till May 2006 in which The university expect me to Get my CPL/IR during my Summer Holiday then I must come back in September 2006 and Enrol onto the final year of the degree to take up the rest of the Aviation Management which will take me right up until may 2007 which when I finish my degree course, so at the end of this Plan I will have the minimum 200 hours my CPL/IR ATPL Modules and a Degree in Aviation Management meaning I can get a graduate job in the aviation Industry and Hopefully look for a Pilot job with one of the aviation companies I happen to work for, But this will mean I loose out on at least 800 Hours of Flying on my licence but obviously with a degree in Aviation Management I can get a job anywhere especially if there are no pilot jobs about and its also a degree to fall back on in the future and also it wil help me again management experience for my plan to one day starting my own Airline Company.

So here it goes:
PLAN A= ATPL Modules, CPL/IR ME FIC and at least 800 Hours of potential flying on my log book.

PLAN B= ATPL Modules, CPL/IR 200 Hours on my log book, and a DEGREE in AVIATION MANAGEMENT.

Can someone please advice me which plan would they take if its up to them and most importantly which plan is better for me in the long run, I know each plan is different for each person, But I am 20 years old and I can easily have 800 or more hours by the age of 22, but I really do need some advice and guidance, I very much hope to hear from you all very soon.

Kind regards
AIRLEBANON

Pilot16
14th Nov 2004, 10:31
Hi,

Ive been there! I havent read your post entirely but I would like to make a point. As a pilot, you need the associated fATPL licenses. If you do a degree, it would be better if you can do it in some other field which is not with aviation, as you are aware, aviation degrees are not very well recognised (perheps apart from the industry itself), so it might not be worth the time and money, particularly because you want to be a pilot ultimately and the only qualification you need for this are the licences.

So it might be however better if you have a degree in some other dicipline, engineering or something else that will prove something about you, not to forget a degree does not have to be in aviation to be recognised by an airline when applying for a job as a pilot.

regards.

AIRLEBANON
17th Nov 2004, 11:30
Hello

Can a company and Organisation really take just 24 hours to make its choice on a candidate even he meets thier initial selection critiria, I hand in my Application form to CTC and 24 hours later they say I did not meet thier pre selection critiria, What should be my next move I guess its self Funding which is a bugger but I want to be a pilot despretly and I am willing to take out a loan and spend like 15 months from my family and friends to acheive that goal I aint getting an younger am I, I am 21 in March 2005 and I hope to comence training in Febuary 2005 so i need t start moving paper work and other relevent information onwards and Upwards so any help and advice regarding suitable courses or FTO would be well appreciated well I hope to hear from someone who has the time and patience to help me, many thanks in advanced.

Kind regards
AIRLEBANON

AIRLEBANON
17th Nov 2004, 11:54
Dear All

I am in the process of thinking over what course i want to help me acheive y dream of becoming a Commercial Pilot with the best office in the World included, I have found the following course and I wanted to ask any of you that would recomend it or not recomend it, what would you say are the pit falls and also what wuld be The advantages of this course apart from the Fact 1500h, also Since this is a FAA course and me Being an Arab from London There is no way am getting a Job in the USA as no one is Hiring Arabs down there, so I want to come back to the UK and seek employment after my course, so what I wanted to know how long will it take for me to convert my FAA to a JAA lisence, and what would be the process, I hope someone out there will help me as I have been helped plenty from people on the Chat room and I want but a lot of things they where unable to advice me on, so please help me Many thanks in advanced.

Professional Pilot Program 1500 Hours

The total number of hours gained during this program will be 1500. The time required for the completion of the program will be approximately 24 to 28 months (this is an average of 55 hours of flight time a month!!).

The course will include:

Dual/solo flight time for a total of 1500 hours (500 Turbine Engine)
Instructor time
Classroom time
Simulator time
Books and uniform
Fuel
Renter's insurance
FAA Examiner fees
FAA Medical exam fees
The following FAA certificates and ratings: PPL, IR-A; CPL-SE/ ME; CFI; ME ATPL
Airport pick-up/drop-off
Student orientation and assistance throughout the course
Resume preparation assistance
Use of AST 300 Simulator
Immigration and Visa assistance
TOTAL COST INCLUDING 500 TURBINE TIME: $55000 / £31428*

*based at 1.75 exchange rate

The turbine time will be done on a Beechcraft Plane either an BE-99 BE-200 BE-1900.
I thank you for looking and I hope you can advice me.

Many thanks.
AIRLEBANON

AIRLEBANON
17th Nov 2004, 13:40
FTO= FLIGHT TRAINING ORGANISATION I thought everyone in the industry or hoping to be involved in this indutry knew this.
I guess you learn new things everyday hey matey..