PDA

View Full Version : Merlin latest

fagin's goat
13th Nov 2004, 20:55
wots the latest rumour on Merlin, folks? Gags still in place?.. or is it really now a huge success in the south west?

WE Branch Fanatic
14th Nov 2004, 16:43
Though it was flying again?

Meanwhile, it had now got a new sensor - according to this (http://www.lockheedmartin.com/wms/findPage.do?dsp=fec&ci=16038&rsbci=0&fti=111&ti=0&sc=400).

See this earlier thread too. (http://pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125852&highlight=merlin)

Si Clik
14th Nov 2004, 17:50
Good piece of fishing here!

Obviously Fagin has caught some buzz or another or he wouldn't be asking would he?

Well I am half way through my ground tour a looking forward to going back SW.

Meanwhile I'll recruit them, everyone one else can train 'em.

Cyclic Hotline
14th Nov 2004, 19:36
Lots of looking - no talking!

Must be a real secret.:mad:

VoicesFromTheCreche
14th Nov 2004, 20:18
We'd love to tell you how good Merlin is at the moment.

but we won't - it's our little secret....:mad:

Oh OK then, we'll tell you (a little bit)

1. When it works it's bl@@dy fantastic
2. problem is, previous point isn't happening quite as often as we'd like - Although this week's Welsh landaway is going swimmingly, apparently.

(..definitely :mad: now)

DuckDodgers
14th Nov 2004, 20:43
Well i saw 6 Mk3s flying all at once a few weeks ago so there!

fuel2noise
15th Nov 2004, 05:43
Guess main drive is to secure the US101 as 'W' next presidential taxi - as Boyzone would say 'No matter what'!

GTNav
15th Nov 2004, 14:15
I was at my Mum's in west Oxfordshire and saw 4 of the mighty 101s doing a CAD into a field about 1 km away. It looked pretty good except:

They were flying about as slow as the could, no blade slapping or punchy quick stops!

They almost looked like they were doing a circuit to the field in more airspace then a Vulcan.

They did not sound as good as the mighty wokka, trust me everyone in my Mum's village knows what a CH47 sounds liek.

Before I get a million replies, this is a light hearted bit of banter only!

Navaleye
15th Nov 2004, 16:23
I don't know if they are actually flying, but I do know plans are in the air for them to lose their place aboard the CVS as these become re-roled in the strikie role. They won't fit the T42s and that leaves T23s and RFAs. If yoiu are talking about the green ones I have no idea.

fagin's goat
17th Nov 2004, 05:47
Any sign of grey ones in the sky over cornwall?? Or, perhaps it is off on early extended christmas leave for the boys in dark blue?

airborne_artist
17th Nov 2004, 07:00
28 managed to get one airborne to do a flypast over Wallingford at 1102 last Sunday.

Well done lads, but could you track about 75 m to the left/West next time, and perhaps reduce the altitude a bit.

I'm very impressed with your "under the HV power cables" trick though that you practice just S of the railway line in Cholsey.

invertron
17th Nov 2004, 09:11
Has anyone heard of the recent incident when a Merlin attempted to fly the aircrew into the ground..?????

Si Clik
17th Nov 2004, 18:11
My word Fagin is really trying to create a stir that's not there.

There are some detached, there are some flying and there are some doing maintenance check flights (oh and there's one in Canada getting very cold). Sounds familiar in any fleet in the UK Armed Forces.

I don't recall an AFCS on Merlin ever trying to fly anyone into the ground.

Would someone from Culdrose please get the goat out of the weeds.

Bismark
17th Nov 2004, 18:31
Is "goat" a journo out there a'fishin'?

Stitchbitch
19th Nov 2004, 06:26
Good job he was talking south west and not south east.....;)
As for the flypast, that was a Puma led affair at 1000ft and was pretty pants although I am sure non aviators on remembrance sunday appreciated it.
The green ones are airborne every day....

airborne_artist
19th Nov 2004, 13:54
SB

Check your PMs.

AA

Razor61
19th Nov 2004, 14:18
There is a 'grey' one flying from Prestwick, it was involved in the SAR of the Canadian Sub.
Also a few operating from the Type 23s and RFA's lately during FOST i think.

The 'Green' ones are flying every day over the SPTA on what looks like CSAR training.

Razor

Tourist
19th Nov 2004, 14:46
CSAR Training?
Thats a bit of a strong term to describe their JPR capabilities!

invertron
19th Nov 2004, 14:50
A "few" on Type 23's..... you'd be ;ucky to find 1 servicable.

also....CSAR over SPTA....WHY ? Not the best of paces to practice CSAR....

goffer hopper
20th Nov 2004, 20:34
the DIP DADDY lives and flies well in the SW bringing death and destruction to the soap dodging community!..... for exercise of course. THE KING IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE WIZARD!

Flypro
20th Nov 2004, 21:16
To take over from 'The King' one actually has to get airborne, and then into the dip - even in the dark!!!. Have yet to see 'The Wizard' manage that. Still, you can't stop progress:confused: :confused:

Duncan Bucket
21st Nov 2004, 08:06
Flypro

I believe that, despite CURRENTLY not being able to ping in the dark, the Merlin HAS taken over from the King (except the SAR Heros and bag freaks of course).

Flypro
21st Nov 2004, 11:50
Duncan,
Best we don't mention the Junglie Mk4 and all it does then. Especially as I hear the Merlin has about the same capability as a Wessex V (though to give it its due, it is maybe a little faster):zzz: :zzz:

Duncan Bucket
21st Nov 2004, 13:14
Sorry - thought we were talking about night dipping. Didn't realise the Junglies did that as well. If they do, they are welcome to it.

Flypro
21st Nov 2004, 13:51
Duncan,
Thought we were talking about what 'The King' can do and the (RN) 'Wizard' can't. Still, we must not stand in the way of progress:ok:

Oggin Aviator
21st Nov 2004, 19:13
the Merlin HAS taken over from the King (except the SAR Heros and bag freaks of course).

... and the junglies as previously mentioned. So basically it has taken over from the Mk6 ASW SK ie in the role of CCD - Combat Cabbage Delivery. Very worthwhile! (although L11 does make the fisheads happy. Shame L11 is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard in a network centric environment. Never mind.)

And why do you class the ASaC operators as freaks? Sounds like a newbie with no appreciation of tactical proficiency.

Oggin.

jockspice
21st Nov 2004, 20:43
Oggin

We have nabbed a few of the replaced Mk 6 and gutted them, locked the gear and painted them green - we can now fill all the seats and still stay aloft for 4 and a half hours. Fab! The King lives on, so boo sucks to your wizard!:p

BTW, I can't think why anyone would think of ASaC guys as freaks...;)

Duncan Bucket
21st Nov 2004, 20:47
Willy-waving about what Link you have doesn't spin my props.
But didn't mean to cause offence by:

a. The "freaks" comment (term of endearment I must have picked up somewhere, me being a newbie and all)

b. Missing out the Mk4 lot - didn't think Merlin was procured to replace them anyway. Yet! (cue maniacal laughter)

Now, about my tactical proficiency - what does "network centric" mean again??

Oggin Aviator
22nd Nov 2004, 18:21
I cant tell if you are taking the p*ss or not, however being a "freak", I'm obviously stupid as well but extremely well natured, so I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

As the Bag HWI I did some work with 814 when they brought the Merlin to sea a few years ago. Their use of L11 was a massive SA builder for the fisheads over the Mk6 and they did some good work during ASUW (or should that now be SUW?) serials. The squadron was extremely well motivated and exceptionally well led by their CO and SP/SOBS and therefore were a happy bunch. The pilots loved flying the aircraft and getting involved in the tactics, which is a real improvement over the SK6. Had the Merlin come into service as planned, ie years ago, the addition of L11 to the Pinger repertoire would have been awesome at that time. I just think that with the MOD trying to move towards Network Centricity, L11 will become dated.
Willy-waving about what Link you have doesn't spin my props.
Me neither. We were lucky to get L16. You guys should get it as well. What the Merlin needs is JTIDS or CEC added at its upgrade (IMHO). Money, as always, will probably become an issue.

jockspice

Is this arrangement just in place until SABR sorted? Good to see the old airframes not being put to pasture at Sultan and actually being used. Now why couldnt us freaks get some of those low houred airframes ? :(

jockspice
22nd Nov 2004, 19:37
Oggin
The Mk6s were grabbed to fill the gap while the Mk4 gets a comms and RWR update, which takes a bit of time to fit etc. That way we can maintain same strength on the squadrons while the cabs are away getting the update.
Bloody good idea, this recycling!

Flypro
22nd Nov 2004, 20:12
Well 'Praise the lord'. Thank your lucky stars that no foreign Johnny bought all those MkV & VI airframes (left in the rain for a year or two) before common sense prevailed.
Merlin/Wizard - don't make me laugh:* :*

Apologies in advance
Written with beer goggles firmly in place!!

sweep complete
25th Nov 2004, 12:15
The mighty 'Wizard' is a common sight in the skies of Cornwall these days!

Si Clik
25th Nov 2004, 17:43
Now how many did I see airborne or on the line this week,

1?2?3?4?5?6? probably more

Grounded NO

Flying YES

Better than a Sea King ..... Ask Merlin aircrew if they would like to go back and the universal answer is NO?

When one has flown it and used it you will realise how really good it is.

Still that won't stop the snipes will it. Meanwhile if shaking yourself (and your nose) is what you want... carry on.

Happy days!

Hueymeister
25th Nov 2004, 19:29
The Green Wizzard is having some major serviceability snags....and they've to be ready to sandy side up in the near future...will they end up as Yellow King replacements?

invertron
26th Nov 2004, 12:36
Well said Jungly AEO...... the grey merlin is a fantastic and most capable platform for conducting ASW. End of dit...thats it...nothing more.... what else does it bring to the party except for pain and grief?

It is surely the grandest white elephant we have ever had the misfortune to purchase.

Fortyodd
27th Nov 2004, 12:18
"Or is the Merlin simply a good ASW etc platform and not so good as an SH?"

Well, lest you forget, the mighty AAC Lynx was the best Anti-Tank version of an Anti-Submarine Helicopter that Wastelands ever built
:p

Thomas coupling
27th Nov 2004, 15:26
Can anyone tell me, how many years the Merlin has NOT been able to dip in the dark?

How much has the Fleet Air Arm rotary wing training pipeline been 'delayed' due to the reliability of the Merlin?

How much does a 'Merlin' Mk4 replacement cost?

Just curious...............................

Flypro
27th Nov 2004, 18:33
You really shouldn't go there TC:oh:
Just guessing, but:
1....Has it EVER dipped in the dark - and if so, did the Sonar work?

2....Years

3....Try a Large Squadron of SeaKings. Any Mark will do - they are all capable of carrying out many & varied tasks:ok: :ok:

tucumseh
27th Nov 2004, 19:58
Guys

No point in willy measuring over the relative merits of Sea King and Merlin. The former was, and remains, a superb aeroplane, and I'm sure Merlin will prove a good replacement in the ASW role. Whether ASW is needed or not is another debate. I recall the argument for buying "only" 103 Merlin ASW (some reduction over the years, eh?) was that 5 would do the job of eight SK2s (at the time). Now there's the real problem - time. Having last worked on Merlin in 1987 (customer side!!) I assume the avionics fit (the heart of the platform) is somewhat dated. Certainly, some common elements of the SKW are a quite deliberate upgrade from Merlin, and if they'd get round to fitting modifications which have been sat on the shelf for at least 3 years, so would the SK4's.

As for Sonics, an old observer colleague once offered to fly a Wx 3 (Sonar 195) against AQS902G-DS (SK) to prove that it was the man / experience that made the difference. No one doubted him. Todays quiz. What system has been PROVEN to give 70+% increase in sonar detection range for £800 (eight hundred), whereas millions (millions) are spent on getting 2%????? And if you had that improvement, would it weaken the case for Merlin's "new" sonics system. Even if it didn't, it would set a hell of a benchmark. One assumes getting inside the enemy's decision cycle by a factor of 70% is what it's all about?

Flypro
28th Nov 2004, 11:26
I agree that 'willy-waving' will get us nowhere, it's just that this pig has been thrust on the FAA (I have no interest and little knowledge of the Crab version). It has cost a truly incredible amount of money to produce something that is less capable than that which it replaces.

It bears very little likeness to the original military specification and is years and years late in service and billions over budget.

I understand the political ramifications of retaining the UK ability to produce helicopters at Wastelands - lets just hope it's new FOREIGN owners don't pull the plug!

However, a Sea King airframe equiped with uprated engines/ rotor's/transmission/electronic suite is what the RN really needs. We have over 30 years experience of the airframe, and we know all its fault's - warts and all - to the extent we can probably predict where the next crack will appear!. It fits almost all the ships, and is very flexible in it's role (unlike Merlin). The ASW SeaKing 2, 5 & 6 was only ever rarely used in its primary role. Usually it flew HDS, loadlift, Surface search, SAR - need I continue?. Will the SeaNoff ever do that?

As for cost per airframe/maintenance/spares/servicing etc, well, the facts speak for themselves.

Rant Over

Finge et Fuge (bodge it and scarper)

Si Clik
28th Nov 2004, 14:53
Flypro and Tucumseh,

I have waited and watched the biaised, uninformed drivel that you guys have written in this thread for too long. Your last 2 post are to be quite frank, complete b*$@$%ks.

A few facts:

Even before the Dipping body was in use the Merlin was better at ASW than the Sea King. In fact with the ability to carry 15+ CAMBS buoys (a Sea King in a box) we successfully proved ourselves able of getting better ranges against all Sub targets than the so called mighty King.

The ADS itself is not a British idea but one which every major power is buying including the Yanks for the SH60 and the French for the NH90. It is by far and away the best of its type and can detect all types of subs at ranges which would see Sea King crewman drool. We have been asked on many occasions by the staff at FOST to go away from ASW serials in order for the PWOs to get some training value since we could dip at the beginning of a serial and stay in contact for ALL of it without breaking dip.

As for flexibility I am sure that a Sea King ASW with all its kit in could carry a Land Rover or 6 stretchers and their accompanying attendents. Or maybe 18 troops in crashworthy seats who had a reasonable chance of escape. Oh and did I mention the GPMGS on both sides of the aircraft and Flying at FL100 at 100 KIAS with no vibration or handling issues.

I will freely admit we have technical issues from time to time but I seem to remember doing my whole frontline SK6 tour without night dipping. And on another note yes I have been into the dip at night in a Merlin with 600m plus of cable (yes that's 600m not 600ft).

Many of the so called serviceability issues with this aircraft are stores driven (a perennial story for all UK aircraft fleets) and recieve all due attention from those who manage the fleet.

And finally, because I could go on for ever here, I have done some research.

1998 to 2004 Merlin ASW write-offs 2

1969 to 1975 Sea King ASW write-offs 5

If someone replies and says these weren't all technical failures then fine - but its overall safety that counts and the Merlin wins hands down.

If you want to slag something off get the FACTS right.

:cool:

Fly to test....Test to learn

6Z3
28th Nov 2004, 15:46
"serviceability issues with this aircraft are stores driven"

Is that the stores contract we procurred for £259M for 5 yrs of spares? (that's nearly £52M/yr), and we supplied the building for them as well.

Flypro
28th Nov 2004, 16:44
Si,

Let's just look at YOUR facts.

1 You could fit a SeaKing with the Merlin ASW kit and add '15+ CAMBS buoys', as I have already mentioned.

2 ADS......see above!

3 Yes, the ASW SeaKing can lift a Landrover in when still in ASW mode, and stretchers (after quick role change). Can the Merlin?

4 GPMGS from Both sides? - well if anyone bothered to mount a gun in the crew door, then no problem. If the Army wanted to move sticks of 18+ they can call on the Chinook's. As for crashworthyness?, judging by the Cu stoof you are correct - any troops in that could just have unstrapped and walked away, as there was no A/C left after all violent motion had stopped!.
I don't recall any problems at 100' & 100Kts either.

5 Giving a SeaKing a longer string could be accomplished almost overnight.

6 See 6Z3 response.

7 So we have 2 Merlin Write-offs in 6 years (that would be just RN then) & 5 Seakings in a similar period. Have you looked at the flying hours/type over those periods?. Please don't talk down to me about FACTS!!!!
I would also mention that most Seaking's that have 'crashed' have been rebuilt by Wastelands. Let's see them rebuild a Merlin.

Rant ongoing!

sweep complete
28th Nov 2004, 20:56
It has cost a truly incredible amount of money to produce something that is less capable than that which it replaces.

What absolute bulls**t Flypro. Say what you will about the problems Merlin currently faces, but to claim it is less capable than a Seaking is quite frankly the ravings of a bitter, biased fool.

You Muppet!!!!

:E

tucumseh
29th Nov 2004, 08:24
Si Clik said:

Flypro and Tucumseh,

I have waited and watched the biaised, uninformed drivel that you guys have written in this thread for too long. Your last 2 post are to be quite frank, complete b*$@$%ks.

>>> My first post on this thread Si Clik, and I think I stuck to facts. One cannot really compare two aircraft types, one designed in the 60s and the other in the 80s/90s/00s (with some 70s avionics) except to say that it is only to be expected that advances in technology, extended time taken to get it right and much more funding should of course produce a “better” aircraft.

A few facts:

Even before the Dipping body was in use the Merlin was better at ASW than the Sea King. In fact with the ability to carry 15+ CAMBS buoys (a Sea King in a box) we successfully proved ourselves able of getting better ranges against all Sub targets than the so called mighty King.

>>> You are extolling the virtues of CAMBS. I recall that in the mid-80s these were not scheduled for the SK6 because Merlin was due in service in only a few years.

The ADS itself is not a British idea but one which every major power is buying including the Yanks for the SH60 and the French for the NH90. It is by far and away the best of its type and can detect all types of subs at ranges which would see Sea King crewman drool. We have been asked on many occasions by the staff at FOST to go away from ASW serials in order for the PWOs to get some training value since we could dip at the beginning of a serial and stay in contact for ALL of it without breaking dip.

>>> Similarly, an expanding array submersible unit was fully trialled in the SK in the early/mid 80s, but scheduled for Merlin as it was imminent. Effectively, a technology demonstrator programme for Merlin. SK5 got the 195 single beam/fm and stave mods, and then the 6 got a fully integrated active and passive system. This is called incremental acquisition and technological progress, made possible by applied research (and in this case, private venture money from GEC). The range performance of the ADS is nothing to do with Merlin, but is a function of the aircraft equipment.

As for flexibility I am sure that a Sea King ASW with all its kit in could carry a Land Rover or 6 stretchers and their accompanying attendents. Or maybe 18 troops in crashworthy seats who had a reasonable chance of escape. Oh and did I mention the GPMGS on both sides of the aircraft and Flying at FL100 at 100 KIAS with no vibration or handling issues.

>>> Agreed, but the SK was not specified to do this, whereas much emphasis was placed on the Merlin having to have a secondary (commando) role (hence the 103). What you describe is nothing more than was intended, whereas the SK continues to surprise at its ability to adapt to emerging requirements.

I will freely admit we have technical issues from time to time but I seem to remember doing my whole frontline SK6 tour without night dipping. And on another note yes I have been into the dip at night in a Merlin with 600m plus of cable (yes that's 600m not 600ft).
Many of the so called serviceability issues with this aircraft are stores driven (a perennial story for all UK aircraft fleets) and recieve all due attention from those who manage the fleet.

>>> Fully agree, and those who manage this are hamstrung by lack of funds and politics – not to mention money being wasted on kit that’s not required.

And finally, because I could go on for ever here, I have done some research.

1998 to 2004 Merlin ASW write-offs 2

1969 to 1975 Sea King ASW write-offs 5

If someone replies and says these weren't all technical failures then fine - but its overall safety that counts and the Merlin wins hands down.

>>> Can’t speak for Merlin, but RN lost 6 SK1s to 17.11.75. At least half were at sea, as opposed to trials/shore based training. The causes were resolved by the Mk2 mods and since then the record has been excellent, with quite a high proportion lost during various conflicts. Lessons learnt have benefited the wider SK fleet, with SK4 having a particularly good record – in fact astonishing. And, statistically such a difference would be expected given the higher population of SKs. Attrition is not measured in absolute losses, but in losses per 1000s of flying hours, factored by circumstances.

Please, I have nothing against the Merlin but in many respects the “better than SK” doesn’t actually relate to the air vehicle, but to the aircraft equipment in it. In many respects, the vehicle is just a taxi. From memory, the Merlin sonics, comms and ESM are all developments of what was in, or trialled in, SK. The Doppler was to have been that of the SHAR. The IBT that of Lynx/SHAR. The radar is essentially an upgrade from Lynx (this may seem odd, but it is obvious if you study the designer’s technology road map) although I’d hope that it is significantly better by now. It’s 18 years since I saw it working for the first time (time…time!!). For the sake of the Senior Service, I sincerely hope the Merlin provides such long and distinguished service as has the Sea King.

invertron
29th Nov 2004, 09:22
Good banter on this thread...keep it going boys. I agree that you cannot compare an aircraft designed and buit in the 60's with a more modern version BUT at the end of the day...if the siht hit the fan...which aircraft would you prefer to fight in..?

tucumseh
29th Nov 2004, 11:31
Invertron

Now? Merlin, no contest (assuming it has the necessary clearances). But in the years between the planned Merlin ISD and the acheived ISD there was no choice. Everyone talks about ISD slippage, but it is very difficult to manage the complementary OSD extensions. I think those involved in Sea King ASW in the late 80s - to date did a fantastic job given that on any given day they were being told "no more cash for upgrades, Merlin's round the corner". By 1991 funding for avionics and build standard was restricted to safety issues only. In 1992 the RAF (by this time in control of RN support funding) even ditched safety. (Suppliers - They were ignored). So, when Merlin finally appeared people compared it with the SK they flew last week, but actually that SK had a build standard that was more or less frozen 15 years ago. There were a few exceptions - it is no co-incidence that the development continued on the Sonics, for example, so as to avoid gapping the availability of expertise and losing momentum. And of course SK was the first aircraft / system to benefit from Differential GPS, albeit at OEU Boscombe Down. This was the single most cost-effective device in sonics development for decades, as it allowed the MoD to tie the company down for the first time on accuracy/ranging issues, which hitherto they had got away with as we had to rely on Radar / Doppler / GMC for positioning info during trials - all of which handed large tolerances to them on a plate. Good times.

Flypro
29th Nov 2004, 17:57
sweep,
Now now, don't have a paddy old chap. Resorting to personal insults will get you nowhere - and you will upset your little friend Sooty!

Read Tucumseh above for a probably more reasoned response than mine.
I am sure that someday the Merlin will begin to pay it's way - the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned:ok:

Thomas coupling
29th Nov 2004, 19:40
SiClik: I say again:
Can anyone tell me, how many years the Merlin has NOT been able to dip in the dark?

How much has the Fleet Air Arm rotary wing training pipeline been 'delayed' due to the reliability of the Merlin?

For a few minutes, forget the advantages of the avionics (in the Merlin), my concerns over the Merlin are orientated around the bloody cost of the airframe. Just for a few seconds (put your hand on your heart / swear on your kiddies lives!)
Ask yourself this:

Has the cost / R and D / spares availability of this replacement airframe really been worth it (to date).
What could the 3 services have procured for that same sum of money if they had gone about it on a more practical basis [I.e. consulted with the end user?].
Someone out there has got his promotion out of this and is currently sniggering into his brandy, as we speak:ooh:

Now that Merlin has been jettisoned by N America and (in all due defference to the PR team for the 'VH101' lobby in yankee land) will undoubtedly be ejected by Bush.....who is going to buy this overengineered trojan's horse??????

Si Clik
29th Nov 2004, 21:00
Well since you choose to ask me to reply directly let me answer a few of your questions since my origins, training and feelings on Merlin are well known.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Merlin's ability to dip in the dark was cleared after a detailed set of test and evaluation conducted by a team I was a member of at a well known test establishment. We were uprepared to allow the aircraft to dip at night without the duplex system being tested and its software proven to 'current' safety standards. The Sea King 5/6 would not pass this sort of testing under current regulations (that includes JAR). When we had done the testing the aircraft was cleared (in late 2002).

The delays in the flying training pipepline are not all due to Merlin and in fact the Lynx pipeline has not been free of its own problems. Whilst it is disappointing that more ab intios have not gone through the course the current set who received their wings about 3 weeks ago are not the first.

I don't know. The fact is the Sea King will go along with the Puma and are now all wrapped up in one program. I have no money on who will get this contract. The fact is the Danish and Portuguese aircraft are another generation ahead of the RAF/RN ones and were competed on an even basis against both the NH90 and S92.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For a few minutes, forget the advantages of the avionics (in the Merlin), my concerns over the Merlin are orientated around the bloody cost of the airframe. Just for a few seconds (put your hand on your heart / swear on your kiddies lives!)
Ask yourself this:

Has the cost / R and D / spares availability of this replacement airframe really been worth it (to date).
What could the 3 services have procured for that same sum of money if they had gone about it on a more practical basis [I.e. consulted with the end user?].
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------These two questions are the inponderables. Should we have bought SH60s way back when or stayed in the NH90 project (over 800 aircraft ordered) probably. Unfortunately we did not and that was the previous Conservative governments decision. All I know is we have the Merlin now, it is one of the best aircraft in the world and as a small country with moderate Armed Forces we CANNOT afford to change. Things may change in the future and we may develop along the Dutch 'buy it off the shelf' model. I doubt this though because too many voters would lose their jobs and political suicide is never popular.

Someone out there has got his promotion out of this and is currently sniggering into his brandy, as we speak.

Nobody here got promoted, or in the IPT, in fact I think most of the people involved were passed over or left. In fact both the guys who were key in the project PVR'd even before it was frontline.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that Merlin has been jettisoned by N America and (in all due defference to the PR team for the 'VH101' lobby in yankee land) will undoubtedly be ejected by Bush.....who is going to buy this overengineered trojan's horse??????
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well the Danes, Potuguese and Japanese did.

In the end we are where we are and in these days of tight budgets (which will only get tighter) we must strive to work together to get the best from the FAA. TEAMWORK is the key, not slagging off the other guy. As was proven in Telic the Merlin Lynx combo worked well and was commented upon by the good old USA.

Unfortunately the Sea King is a legacy aircraft now nearly 50 years old. Ours are cracking away gracefully and no-one makes them anymore. I have 1500 hours on the old queen but I still wouldn't go back because while you're seldom safe twin in a Merlin you can ALWAYS fly away from an ASW hover.

tucumseh
30th Nov 2004, 09:44
Si Clik makes a few important points here, but which will always place the older aircraft in poorer light.

……….software proven to 'current' safety standards. The Sea King 5/6 would not pass this sort of testing under current regulations (that includes JAR). When we had done the testing the aircraft was cleared (in late 2002).

>>> Standards continually evolve and change. Every Sea King contract (and those of other legacy aircraft) is caveated “The MoD acknowledge the (aircraft) was designed and built to standards of the day…….”. This is necessary as the design is Under Ministry Control and MoD has to acknowledge they simply cannot afford to keep up with ever changing standards. They are prioritised on safety and security grounds. For example, primary and secondary bonding standards changed in the late 90s – a safety issue – but it would never cross anyone’s mind to retro-fit every aircraft. So, specs for current programmes were amended, and life goes on. The aircraft is safe, but it’s not up to date. The cumulative effect however is that the manufacturer / MoD may make a decision to stop marketing / buying the product as it’s cheaper to start afresh.

This partially answers the following question……

Nobody here got promoted, or in the IPT, in fact I think most of the people involved were passed over or left. In fact both the guys who were key in the project PVR'd even before it was frontline.

>>> I know for a fact this is true, and that it extends to very senior people in the late 80s/early 90s. I knew one very well in various posts before he got Merlin and he was supremely competent. The RN lost a good man to politics. Still happening.

Unfortunately the Sea King is a legacy aircraft now nearly 50 years old. Ours are cracking away gracefully and no-one makes them anymore. I have 1500 hours on the old queen but I still wouldn't go back because while you're seldom safe twin in a Merlin you can ALWAYS fly away from an ASW hover.

>>>General point taken, and I’ve explained one very important reason why they’re not made, but the RN’s oldest SK is 35. There followed numerous production runs into the 90s, and many have relatively few hours on them. In general terms the life is 30 flying years so I suppose the MoD spin could be that Merlin has arrived at exactly the right time! So, Merlin’s not late at all, it merely missed the “stretch” target!