PDA

View Full Version : maf

ryan_vd
13th Nov 2004, 10:18
heya people

I've read previous posts on this topic, and it appears there is a lot off mixed feelings over MAF as an organisation. But on a different note I would like to know: how well are the pilots trained? are they good pilots? what is the safety standards like? the condition of the aeroplanes? What type of operations do they do? ie, mainly frieght, or passengers. What type of airstrips do they go into? And are things done by the book or short cuts made? Basically I want to know operational type information, within Australia, not nescessarily PNG.

ryan

Chimbu chuckles
13th Nov 2004, 10:23
Well in PNG the aircraft were in superb condition and the pilots extremely well trained....bordering on overtrained...as for the strips they went into were the same as the ones we went into. Their safety record is very, VERY good.

I think they are a bunch of bible thumping weirdos but you cannot knock there commitment and skills.

chimbu warrior
13th Nov 2004, 22:53
Have to agree 100% with Chuckles............and not just in PNG. I have seen their operations in northern Australia and Indonesia as well, and the aircraft and drivers were all well maintained and equipped.

the wizard of auz
14th Nov 2004, 02:32
Had a few dealings with them in the central desert regions of auz and found them to be very well trained and their equipment to be in spotless condition, regardless of the state of most of their pax.
Also had some help from a bloke in Indonesia, very nice people from the US. Howdy SCOTT. Regards to the family. couldn't do enough to help. even said a prayer for me before I left Manado on my single engined journey to Manilla. (don't know if he was concerned with the fact I was drifting about in the middle of the monsoon in a 172, or the fact I was in a 172 going to the philippines. :} )