PDA

View Full Version : Air Traffic Jobs

alexknill
26th Nov 2001, 17:06
Can anyone help me????

I am looking to get into ATC as a career. I have quite a bit of experience from visits, etc but am stil a little unsure about where to apply.

I have applied to NATS and have my selection next week but I was wondering if anyone knows of any private establishments who are looking to recruit, and where any theoretical training courses are run.

Chilli Monster
26th Nov 2001, 17:21
I'd pursue the NATS route if I were you at the moment. Most non-NATS units employ people as assistants first and then, once they've proved themselves, send them on ATCO courses. With an Aerodrome course alone costing in the region of £19K they are very wary about sponsoring anyone. The only college apart from Bournemouth which is UK approved is Shearwater training at Cwmbran at the moment, with another one hopefully becoming UK approved (just outside Bath) in the near future.

CM

alexknill
26th Nov 2001, 17:26
Thanks for that Chilli!!!

whowhenwhy
26th Nov 2001, 21:17
Why does no-one ever seem to say, "Hey you should join the RAF to do ATC?" Okay, so it has its' downsides, but on the plus side you get to control things that are fast and pointy! Excellent fun! :D :D :D

Well unless you find yourself at Le Islas Malvinas, as I do at the moment. I think the word I'm looking for is.....disappointing! My I'm feeling diplomatic today.

Things are always worse than they seem!

Chilli Monster
26th Nov 2001, 22:19

Maybe because, in certain circumstances, it is a bit of a lottery.

Direct entry officer - fine, you become an ATCO. If not you get offered another branch. If you can't do that though and try to do it from the bottom rung you still have the "6442, face fits" mentality to get through - and we both know that has nothing to do with future suitability as an ATCO (regardless of what the propoganda from PMC says).

And in both cases - what are you qualified to do when you come out? Because you don't have a licence you can use in the civil world. It's then a case of go through the NATS hoops again or hope for an AVO post at a military airfield.

CM
(15 years a military assistant 'cos the face didn't fit - now a civil ATCO with all 3 airfield ratings - go figure eh ;))

Avman
26th Nov 2001, 22:23
If you are the insular island mentality type then by all means go for NATS. :D . If, on the other hand, you would like to experience the real world of ATC :cool: in a truly European multinational environment, why not look at EUROCONTROL (and you will not start as an assistant)! For more info go to http://www.eurocontrol.int

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: Avman ]

Whipping Boy's SATCO
26th Nov 2001, 22:45
CM, 15 years as a mil AATC; you obviously know what you're talking about.

How about 15 years as a controller, many excellent tours (UK and overseas), numerous good friends/compatriates, a reasonable salary/quality of life, my own train set and a strong sense of achievement.

Don't knock the military just because you feel you had a bad deal.

PS One of my cpls got selected for his controllers course yesterday after 6 years service. Yes his face fitted. However, he is also bloody good at his job!

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: Whipping Boy's SATCO ]

Chilli Monster
26th Nov 2001, 23:00
WBS

I'm not decrying the service life - you for one have done very well out of it. But you have to admit that there are true points in what I said.

For what it's worth I probably wouldn't have been in my position if it hadn't been for the great redundancy situation of 95 - it enabled me to pay for my ADC and get my foot on the ladder, so for that I thank the MoD.

I, however, would have preferred not to have been in that position. I passed aptitude testing but ended up having to compete with others who through dint of better assessments were selected for courses - and in quite a few cases failed (I was talking to one of my ex-colleagues only a month ago. Passed JATCC, failed validation, back to Cpl and took another 4 years to get back to Sgt as an OSM). I'm glad how things have worked out - and not just for the size of pay packet ;) (At least double what I would have been earning if I'd stayed) but for the fact that my career prospects and quality of life are far better than if I'd stayed in the RAF. Had I stayed in I would probably have been leaving next August with little prospect of a decently paid aviation job, and having to adjust to doing something totally different.

CM

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: Chilli Monster ]

HODGY
28th Nov 2001, 01:25
Hi all,

As with my fellow wanabee I also wish to one day be employed within the glorious ATC.

I am currently an Operations controller for a large UK airline and have been for the last 5 years.

Only problem being that I left my A-levels to persue a glamorous career in aviation. Which unfortunately is something NATS insist on (rather than experience and a genuine interest in the profession).

So if anyone knows a way in please help

:) :) :)

[ 27 November 2001: Message edited by: HODGY ]

Dan Dare
28th Nov 2001, 03:49
HODGY,

NATS have no idea how to select a good controller, and as such they change their requirements regulary. During my time tehy have had requirements ranging from O levels to a degree and anything between. Look regularly at the requirements:
http://www.nats.co.uk/recruitment/index.html

If you had any studies for your ops position then that could well qualify you for the "post-GCSE" studies (note it doesn't say anything about passes!). As an Ops person, you are also very experienced in the industry and would probably be too good to get through personnel's careful scrutiny ;)

Give an application a go. See what happens!