PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Jonny Knox
11th Nov 2004, 21:52
Hey Big Fellas,
Driving the big busses, I've been busting my gut for a number of years now to try and get somewhere in this industry and want to hear from some people at the top. Is it worth it when you get there? I mean I 've loved planes and flying since I was a small lad and I still do but some of the Ar#e wipes and politics in the industry just take the enjoyment out of it for me. Should I go back to building where I can make four times as much as I do now or should I stick it out?

Gnadenburg
11th Nov 2004, 23:03
If the end result is going to work in a baseball cap, bringing your own lunch and a thermos of coffee, flogging around from SID to STAR @ 250KTS below 10000 and flying 900hrs a year-NO!!!!!

Low cost airlines as described above-Virgin Blue and Jetstar I presume- will burn you out.

I fly with a lot of ex low cost carrier pilots( Ryan, Easy etc ) who explained there is a short life span with this sort of career due poor renumeration, condidtions and long hours.

There are still great jobs out there but the pressure is on as LCC pilots are creating an extention of General Aviation, by using low cost carriers as a stepping stone to other airlines.

tinpis
11th Nov 2004, 23:15
I mean I 've loved planes and flying since I was a small lad and I still do

Absolutely deadly affliction.

I need some kitchen and bathroom renovations if yer up this way.
Stay building....if insanity prevails...buy a plane.

:hmm:

Mr. Hat
12th Nov 2004, 01:24
I'm not a big bus driver but i can say this.

This flying buisness is an addiction. If you never tried it you would never miss it. And logic would say stick to being a builder.

But I've tried it - and do you know what? I couldn't give a rats what builders are making. Their job is boring to ME and it doesn't inspire ME one bit.

I'm a bit young and new in the big scheme of things so really my opinion might not be worth that much. But I can say this - I've had other jobs with better conditions x10 and at the end of the day you find yourself reminiscing about the magnificent feeling of doing the tightest low level bad weather circuit in a fast 210 in the middle of nowhere.

I'll take the SID to STARS if I can ever get there.

Thats just me. Each to their own.

Mr. Hat

Howard Hughes
12th Nov 2004, 02:07
Johnny Knox,

I'll let you know when I get there!!:hmm:

But for now the Turboprop gig is great, although I could do with a few more $$$.

Dont know what all the fuss is about with LCC's, I mean their wages look like a king's ransome from where I'm sitting!!

If the end result is going to work in a baseball cap, bringing your own lunch and a thermos of coffee, flogging around from SID to STAR @ 250KTS below 10000 and flying 900hrs a year-NO!!!!!

Hey Gnads, you wanna try 900hrs a year when the average sector length is 50 mins!!;)

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

The Bullwinkle
13th Nov 2004, 05:43
Is it worth it?
Yes it is.

maxgrad
15th Nov 2004, 23:30
Single pilot turboprop has gotta be the ducks nuts. havn't worked in CRM environment or in a suckblower but for job satisfaction in my opinion it is worth the struggle.

(all I need now is to win bloody tattslotto)