PDA

View Full Version : UPS Hiring

fights on
10th Nov 2004, 20:07
Does anyone have any infomation on the UPS current hiring. Written Exam, Sim, Panel interview???

Iflyforcash
13th Nov 2004, 02:15
Tentative UPS new hire class schedule:

November 18, 15 pilots.
December 13, 17 pilots.
January 14, 17 pilots.

The key to getting hired at UPS is to convince the people that interview you that you really want to work for UPS. Be very familiar with UPS facts which can be found at http://www.pressroom.ups.com/about/frontpage/ The hardest part is actually getting an interview.

Ignition Override
28th Nov 2004, 06:25
Something to be aware of at UPS, which was the case for many years and was not stated very often:

Until UPS hired its own pilots about 16 years ago, everybody at UPS, that is, everybody, worked their way up from throwing boxes-literally, from what I read and heard. Like being a Marine (always a rifleman....), I suppose. And so, after they hired their own pilot group, many at the company were a bit resentful of the fact that those guys/gals simply walked in the door to a prestigious job with whichever salaries, which are now better than at the often-worshiped FEDEX. I work for a passenger carrier in the southern US.

A UPS Captain told me that they are very serious about following company rules, including NEVER turning off a "logo light" (in the manual!), even if a captain tells you to. The guy told me that a probationary pilot had to report for an uncomfortable "rug dance" in an office, because the guy switched OFF the logo light, and it was an unpleasant experience, like any such debriefing with mangement during probation. I kid you not-heard it from the 747 Captain, who rode our jumpseat years ago. According to FAPA (became Air Inc) many years ago, UPS engineers everything to death. Understand the mentality, attitudes and overall company philosophy (CEO's name, crew bases, advantages over FEDEX, DHL...........), and a bit about the hubs and route structures. plus whatever else you are advised. Just be a strong believer in their destiny (and any other company's fate which happens to interview you ) and knowledgeable. Very, very few US airlines are hiring for the short-midterm, that is, with good pay and benefits!!

UPS has such a huge ground trucking network (the largest?), that it should be one of the few companies in the US which could offer pilots some job security, at least in my opinion. They are so large along with being a household-name that they should be the biggest and strongest survivor. I've been with my company (via a merger) since 1985 and talked to several UPS pilots.

Good luck over there!:ok:

Iflyforcash
28th Nov 2004, 13:37
Logo lights where deactivated long time ago. Turns out that it was bad PR to make noise at night and it was therefore advantageous that people on the ground not able to identify the noisemaker as a UPS airplane. Also saves on light bulbs. UPS is still however a trucking company with pilots. Actually they prefer to call themselves a transportation company, and it is true that pilots are not their favorite employees.