PDA

View Full Version : Nice video

Smoketoomuch
10th Nov 2004, 20:04
Not sure if this is the right forum, however;
Apparently 'Mostly french Super Etendard over Djibouti and Afghanistan'. Nicely put together.

http://raptor2k.free.fr/af_etendard.mpg (70meg)

Why don't we ever get anything similar from RN/RAF? Didn't the RAF once have a dedicated film unit? All I've seen of Afghan ops is a few grainy polaroids on the MoD site taken through the murky window of a VC10.

akula
10th Nov 2004, 22:04
Great video, worth the wait even with broadband, there is even a glimpse of a VC10 giving out gas(poor chaps must have had to leave the hotel pool that day).
I doubt if the RAF would be interested in making such a video as it may give the impression that the RAF is all about flying and the application of force......

ALWAYS assume NEVER Check

John Eacott
10th Nov 2004, 22:11
Agree with akula, well worth the download: if only to watch the deck landings at the end :eek: The bolter was a sight to behold......;)

kokpit
10th Nov 2004, 22:44
Thnx STM, great video, let's hope our guys can put something up ;)

althenick
10th Nov 2004, 22:57
Akula,

The RN do some quite good ones ...

go here (http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/2084.html)

I particularly like the Sea Harrier and fleet air arm Vids:ok:

Stonecutter
11th Nov 2004, 07:36
The french female maintainers aren't too shoddy either:}

sc

TheBeeKeeper
11th Nov 2004, 10:23
Carrier Landings...... oh my word! Theres no messing about is there! Noticed a few aircraft with centreline tanks.... can't give much clearance on the deck!

Only wish I could get away with landing that hard.... *goes away to consider installing some really big elastic bands across the runway at Henlow*

bad livin'
11th Nov 2004, 12:06
That was a fantastic video, it is a shame we can't see more of the same sort of thing in our recruitment tv ads. It worked for the bootnecks - and I can't imagine showing footage like that would harm recruitment across all 3 services...as long as the negatives and consequences of the job are not glossed over...again, this worked well for the RM.

2port
11th Nov 2004, 13:09
Trying to resist the urge to say something nice about the French, but it's beaten me, so - great video.
Worked with the Etendard chaps once - they certainly LIKED their flying!

akula
11th Nov 2004, 14:18
Cheers,
The Navy vids are pretty good thanks for the pointer althenick.

TTFN

BEagle
11th Nov 2004, 14:40
Excellent video - no posing senior officers giving 'mission statements' or 'visions', just the real team getting on with the real deal.

The SuE is obviously one tough, well-liked aeroplane!

Anyone remember the excellent 527th (Aggressor Sqn) movie? That was a really good recruit and motivate job.

Slartibardfarst
11th Nov 2004, 16:10
Thanks for the pointer.....great vid. Made me glad that we don't have that carrier recovery ability, (wonder what happened to that bolter?)!!

Am trying to get a short version shot by 18 Sqn last year onto the site, just to prove that we can keep up with the froggies!! Hopefully not to long away from sharing with you good people.

Pureteenlard
11th Nov 2004, 18:09
Another mpeg for my library and wel worth the download time but doesn't it prove that ". . . it's better to stop and then land than to land and then try to stop"? ;) I'm sure WEBF would agree . . .

And how come the french navy gets to go to sea in T-shirts and jeans? Truly the most casual uniforms I've ever seen.

qwertyuiop
11th Nov 2004, 20:16
Some of the best vids I ever saw were created by BFTS studes at LOO.

tier2commando
12th Nov 2004, 15:40
you can get some good videos off winmx.com of various a/c types from sr 71 to ju88 during the war. just type in military aviation

Arkroyal
12th Nov 2004, 16:07
Only got broadband yesterday.......................glad I did. Must dig out my old vids from Iraq 1991, and digitise them.

scientia in alto
12th Nov 2004, 20:57
Good to see some good action flying, any chance of some top brit footage.... must be the odd Tonka or Wokka vid out there somewhere

SIA:ok:

MightyGem
12th Nov 2004, 23:10
Excellent vid, but not a patch on the Van Halen Eagle though.

paradigm shift
13th Nov 2004, 01:19
Anyone got a copy or location for the GW II GR7 Video set to Emenem's Nine Mile.

Would love to get a copy.

Tourist
13th Nov 2004, 16:13
A DVD of lots of 847 NAS/Jungly videos has come into my possesion which has some great stuff on it, but how do I put it on the net/compress it etc?

paradigm shift
13th Nov 2004, 16:30
Great Video of the French chaps and chapesses.

How does one save that vid to ones hard drive from the link.

"IT Challenged of JSF Land"

scientia in alto
13th Nov 2004, 17:37
To save the file to your hard drive just click your right mouse button on the link and then choose the 'save target' option.

Does anyone know how to post a good video, as I may have found one?

SIA

John Eacott
13th Nov 2004, 18:47
Tourist, et al,

If there are any videos/DVD's that need hosting, I can put them up on my site for general access. You'll have to get them to me, of course!

Tourist
13th Nov 2004, 18:52
PM me your address John and I will post it to you

November4
13th Nov 2004, 20:39
Just viewed the RN videos - their 2 recruitment videos are superb, IMHO, compared to the cr&p that the RAF produces for the same purpose.

althenick
13th Nov 2004, 20:44
NOV 4,

Agree with you there, sad thing is I've yet to see them on the TV -
when are they showing them??? Surely the DNR isn't so strapped for cash that they can't show these fine recruitment adverts at peak viewing times?

Fg Off Max Stout
13th Nov 2004, 21:35
I like the 'RN Iraq (The Royal Marines demonstrate why they are the best)' video which features loads of Chinnies.

joe2812
14th Nov 2004, 12:40
Granted this isn't of the Brits, but I quite like this one (http://66.184.207.60/other_media/magic_f18_ride/Magic_F18_Ride_lg.wmv.zip)

November4
14th Nov 2004, 15:16
Saw a great (yes - great!!) RAF recruitment video whilst on IMLC. Similar to the RN recruitment ones on their site. Civilians being murdered and ending with "Their country needs you". Never shown as felt it would upset some people as too hard hitting and un-PC.

Still now that we aren't recruiting - no need to show the supermarket cr&p ad :yuk:

Stitchbitch
14th Nov 2004, 15:44
I have some great video of RAF Merlins, in the hangar....

There is a video chap (and pilot) at valley, goes by a tri very similar to 'bag' , most of his work is awesome and should be used in recruitment , as it features aeroplanes in the air doing aeroplane things like refueling and bombing/pods pods pods and flying at low-level. Not to be confused with a bloke in an office....

There was a good one around in about 1996/7 with harriers, hercs and a tune by the crystal method...thats what we need, not some poncey lateral thinking :mad: .

cheers:E

scientia in alto
14th Nov 2004, 19:05
joe2812 it was a good F18 vid you posted, and at the same cheesy site http://www.grouchymedia.com/ there is a vid called 'helo thunder.' 4 1/2 mins of rotary fun, and the best bit is the apache playing around at the end!

SIA

Smoketoomuch
14th Nov 2004, 19:59
Video of some Swiss Mirage 3 playing above and 'in' the Alps, including a bit of dog fighting with Hornets (but please don't pull me up on types). Quality probably not as good as the Etendard video, but it's well worth watching, especially for what is probably the fastest ascent of the Matterhorn ever, 11 minutes in.

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/swiss.wmv

Unfortunately the video is slightly broken so although it plays fine (apart from a bit of judder two minutes in) you can't fast forward or rewind. Apparently there is software that will fix this, but I don't have it. Anyone?

[edit] Credit and thanks to John Eacott for hosting the file.

John Eacott
14th Nov 2004, 23:19
Smoketoomuch,

Here's the link to the video:

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/swiss.wmv

When you make your own post, I'll delete this one. (your e mail bounces back, and you haven't activated PM!)

Anyone linking, be warned: 36mb will take a while to download, and there's a bit of a digital pause about 2:40 into the video. But it's well worth it :ok:

Fg Off Max Stout
15th Nov 2004, 20:47
Anyone know what the soundtrack music is on the Swiss Mirage vid? It's an absolutely superb accompaniment to the video and I need a copy.

This and the Etendard video are among the best sqn vids I have ever seen. More please, but how about some rotary for real beauty.

Tourist
15th Nov 2004, 21:28
Max, some good rotary stuff is even now winging its way to John Eacott, so stand by!

Speed Twelve
18th Nov 2004, 14:09
Max,

The swiss vid music...

First track is a revamp of the closing credit music from a French comedy movie called 'Les Visiteurs' starring Jean Reno, available in the UK through Arrow DVD. The movie music was by Eric Levi.

Then Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries', 'November Rain' by Guns 'n' Roses, followed by 'Ride the Wild Wind' by Queen.

ST

John Eacott
25th Jan 2005, 02:24
The DVD from Tourist finally arrived yesterday, via all points south and a nice note from Royal Mail saying we need more stamps next time ;)

I've resized the vids, and they are still massive, but the Blue Eagles one is so impressive that it's at this link (http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Videos/) if anyone has a few hours to download. Only 99mb :D

I'll work on a bit more video compression to get the other files down from the current 150 - 260mb :rolleyes:

jimgriff
25th Jan 2005, 11:15
Mega vids, worth the 12 min download. I'll have to digout the home made Tornado movie I've got on Betamax and digitise it.

wannabewingman
29th Jan 2005, 21:11
Very cool videos especially the Swiss one.

As far as solving the problem in the Swiss video with regards to it jumping and you not being allowed to jump forwards or backwards, the following link gives you some info on how to solve the problem.

http://www.jhepple.com/support/reindexwmv.htm

Worked wonders for me!

Cheers,

WW

P.S Max i managed to get a copy of that music from the Swiss Video. Took a bit of hunting down but was worth it.
The song is called Enae Volare Mezzo and is on an album called Era.

Seemingly it was huge in France!

PM if you want a copy.

John Eacott
29th Jan 2005, 23:39
I've resized the Blue Eagles down to 47mb, and have some 847NAS Op Telic and Aurora 04 clips too: same link.

Thanks to Tourist: by the way, check your PM's :ok:

Tourist
30th Jan 2005, 15:56
Didnt get any PM?

Bofaboy
30th Jan 2005, 20:14
John Eacott,

Please check your PMs when you have a spare minute as I have a helo video that is not too bad. Thanks

John Eacott
30th Jan 2005, 21:02
PM's sent to both of you!

Barotrauma
1st Feb 2005, 00:36
Has the Swiss airforce movie moved as the link doesn't work anymore....
...or is just me?!
Waited for it to download earlier in the week but forgot to save it. Hopefully it hasn't dissappeared from the web completely!!

B.Trauma

Salzinger_FOO
1st Feb 2005, 01:33
John,

Downloaded the first part of Aurora.. very nice indeed. Like specially the music.. could you by chance tell me (us) who is singing and the song's name?

Cheers

Salzinger

John Eacott
1st Feb 2005, 01:38
I'm just hosting them for Tourist: maybe he could help?

:cool: :ok:

Tourist
1st Feb 2005, 17:00
Feeling Good by Nina Simone of course!

Fg Off Max Stout
1st Feb 2005, 17:10
Salzinger_FOO: 'Nina Simone - Feeling Good' is what you heard. Classic jazz. Nice. Great.

wannabewingman: Thanks very much. Should be able to track it down now I know the title.

Stout

Salzinger_FOO
1st Feb 2005, 19:48
Tourist, Scout and John,

Thanks for the info. The classic jazz and very good quality indeed..

Cheers

Salzinger

eagerbeaver
2nd Feb 2005, 20:44
what is the reason for the incredibly slow transfer rate? It seems to have settled at 2kb/sec or so normally i get at least 75kb/sec?

I have some vids also

philhird
4th Feb 2005, 11:32
All,

Just been downloading those linked vids- absolutely awesome! Couple of those SuE landings looked a bit disastrous tho!

I have 2 video promos for the RAF that a mate made up for a recruitment fair he was tasked to go to. One's general RAF stuff and the others some GW I footage, both spliced together on one MPEG. (75.9mB! altogether) Let me know how I can get it to someone to post it up- the general RAF one is definately worth a look. Shame it didn't make it into the wider arena. I have broadband.

PH

DuckDodgers
4th Feb 2005, 14:38
You are def right about the Female French maintainers, better than the one or two we had on our Sqn! Where is that transfer chit or xchange then????

airborne_artist
4th Feb 2005, 16:07
philhird (any relation of thora, btw?)

I could host that - easiest if you can ftp it straight there - is that within yr capabilities?

PM me
AA

TURNBULL
4th Feb 2005, 16:07
Although an amateur video posted on an R/C Helicopter site, this is quite good footage of the UK Army's helicopter of choice. No sexy music, just lots of screaming gearboxes and slapping blades. Enjoy!

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t116876p1/

mutleyfour
4th Feb 2005, 18:34
Does anyone have the Mirage jets taken in morroco along the beach....its awesome but I havent a link?

GTNav
4th Feb 2005, 20:13
On page one there was a mention of the great BFTS vids produced.

25 Course at CF in 85/6 had a good one produced by CB (crisis).

A great vid, anyone got a copy of it to digitilise and share?

Or any of the other BFTS films would be fun. I loved the JP but could enjoy the mecano.

GT

airborne_artist
5th Feb 2005, 17:29
video (http://litterbox.zawodny.com/~jzawodn/tmp/AC130_GunshipMed.wmv) of an AC-130 engaging ground targets in Afghanistan

jimgriff
6th Feb 2005, 19:00
That RAF "homemade" promo was quite well made....any more out there?

I will digitise my homemade tornao vid this week and set it up.

kyliefan
8th Feb 2005, 01:24
Try this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downlo...e_broadband.ram

Army v Clarkson

Who wins? You decide??!!

Apologies - there's a whole load of cr@p to get it working with 'real player' - anyone got suggestions on shortcuts?

jimgriff
8th Feb 2005, 18:49
Kiliefan..
That link dont work mate!!

hyd3failure
8th Feb 2005, 19:07
Awesome Video of the Chinook display. One of my all time faves.

Especially the running landing with the nose high followed by the downwind backwards take off. Is the Chinook the only aircraft which can take off going backwards?

airborne_artist
8th Feb 2005, 19:34
I think the Swordfish could have taken off backwards if the stokers could shovel hard enough to get >45 kts along the deck!

NoHoverstop
8th Feb 2005, 20:31
Is the Chinook the only aircraft which can take off going backwards?

I can think of another one that's tried it more than once.

Human Factor
8th Feb 2005, 21:10
mutley,

Type fous.avi into Google and see what happens....

;)

A10 Thundybox
9th Feb 2005, 02:19
Don't bother, just use the search function here, there'a a character called Christo using the Private flying forum who has some collection, including that magic low flying mirage one, well worth a look.

kyliefan
9th Feb 2005, 18:31
Lotus v Apache:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloads/lotus_vs_apache_broadband.ram

If that doesnt work, go to topgear site and find it there...

Conan the Librarian
15th Feb 2005, 21:59
I was inspired by this thread to have a poke about to see what I could find online and for anyone having any of the popular file sharing proggies like Kazaa, Limewire, etc. there are quite a few interesting (and rare) ones out there. (Just search "Aviation" )

This next bit I have referred to in another thread, but bear with me. Flushed with success yesterday, I put the search argument "Air Tattoo" into Limewire to look for some footage. It came up with nearly a hundred hits for "**** in the air" which looks suspiciously like a film with lots of half footage.

There are some aesthetic gems out there and I hate to admit it, but an American one rates almost as highly for me, as the Swiss and French Mirages. It is called "Where Eagles fly" and it really is a goody.

Thank God for Broadband, eh?

bigsmelly
17th Mar 2005, 14:12
Here's one for all the wannabee's:

http://www.saunalahti.fi/perc/f-14.wmv

(F-14.wmv)

Fire 'n' Forget
6th Apr 2005, 21:40
A light hearted vid, quite funny in bits

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/theairforcefun.html

Smoketoomuch
30th May 2005, 20:42
Those damn Frogs are at it again. Mirage in Morocco (http://www.airviolence.com/e107_files/downloads/Bush%20Flying/Mirage_2000_2003.MPG)

65MB.

pr00ne
30th May 2005, 21:00
Smoketoomuch,

WOW!

Now THAT'S a recruiting video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ta for posting...............

STANDTO
30th May 2005, 21:05
somebody, somewhere, out there, must have a video of something (other than a transit van) hammering down the Llangollen Pass?

Any takers????