PDA

View Full Version : Rb211g/h

VRThomas
8th Nov 2004, 18:07
Hello,

Can someone please explain the difference, exactly, between the 524G and the H. I assume that they are usually listed together because of their interchangablility.

Also if you can give me some specific info on the addition of the T- High pressure section and it's operating benefits. Other than just NOx output.

Thanks

VRT:ok:

gas path
8th Nov 2004, 22:04
The RB211 524G and H are the same engine, the difference in power achieved by pin programming of the FAFC.
58000 lbs and 60600lbs thrust respectively.
The 524G/T and H/T have exactly the same thrust levels as above but the improvements in emmisions (and sfc) come from the 04 module which is from the Trent family of engines.
The 04 module (hp compressor, combustion chamber and hp turbine) improvements come from basically the blade aerodynamics, comp. and turb. plus the redesign of the combustor. The HPT also has design improvements to the blade shroud interlocks which are more robust..as anybody who does boroscopes could attest too!
An aircraft can have a mix of 524G and 524G/T or 524H and 524H/T, the only way to tell the difference in operation is on start up where the acceleration profile to idle differs slightly.

VRThomas
9th Nov 2004, 03:14
Thanx Gas,

I have found that some of the particulars of these engines has been a little difficult to research. You have filled the final gap in in my review of these incredible engines.

Actually there is one more little thing...

the -524D I can't find a thrust rating for it. Can you help?

VRT

Sootikin
9th Nov 2004, 10:36
I think I can help there...

RB211-524D4, D4-B
Max Take Off 51,980 lb
Max Continuous 47,320 lb

RB211-524D4X, D4X-B
Max Take Off 52,810 lb
Max Continuous 47,320 lb

Thrusts at Sea Level Static conditions

Hope This Helps

Edit Time :
NB : Nothing much to add in the G/H front, except I believe that the G/G-T thrust rating can't be used on the B767. If G's and H's are both fitted to a B747, the H engines are down-rated to G thrusts (to prevent thrust asymetry.)

On the -T upgrade, the improved performance also means lower typical operating temperatures, which gives a longer component life.