PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow Exhibition

Birky
7th Nov 2004, 16:14
As an aspiring (but practically zero-hour) ATPL I found yesterday's exhibition VERY useful. Did you?

Nearly all the exhibitors were very helpful; particularly the Aussie guy Bob from Jerez. He was quite happy to give as near to impartial information as possible. They also offer a free aptitude test if you go down there before Xmas...(maybe get a cheapie flight down there on a LCC? It might be at least as much fun as doing one at Cranwell?).

The guys at Stapleford seem very switched on but I couldn't quite figure whether getting 100 x 737 hours as part of their modular package at £52,000 was worth doing. Anyone have any views on that?

Oxford's guy was good to talk to but I'm not sure I was convinced that their training is worth several thousand pounds (£55k as opposed to £50k) more than their competitors for an Integrated Course (although they obviously have a great track record). Any views?

I have also heard elsewhere that Oxford have had staff troubles recently. Does anyone know if this is something a potential student should be worried about?

Did anyone have a go on GAPAN's mini-aptitude test? Although I have happily done a co-ordinated 30-degree turn (with a bit of rudder, pull slightly back on the nose and kept an eye on the power) without losing height, I found the GAPAN NAV/ALT test very unrealistic and, er, difficult. The joystick seemed hyper-sensitive to me. Anyone else have an opinion on whether such simple tests are of any real value? Was I missing the point somewhere?

Lastly, I was disappointed that there don't appear to be any approved schools (for full-time integrated courses) in the NW of England. This means us poor Northerners 'aff to travel South and find a years' accommodation locally which only means less afor't whippet. Anyone know why? Am I wrong?

Cheers all....

(PS sorry for adding this as a new thread Jinkster...I was hoping for some specific answers to my questions)