PDA

View Full Version : Flyer Exhibition Heathrow

Birky
7th Nov 2004, 15:46
As an aspiring (but practically zero-hour) ATPL I found yesterday's exhibition VERY useful. Did you?

Nearly all the exhibitors were very helpful; particularly the Aussie guy Bob from Jerez. He was quite happy to give as near to impartial information as possible. They also offer a free aptitude test if you go down there before Xmas...(maybe get a cheapie flight down there on a LCC? It might be at least as much fun as doing one at Cranwell?).

The guys at Stapleford seem very switched on but I couldn't quite figure whether getting 100 x 737 hours as part of their modular package at £52,000 was worth doing. Anyone have any views on that?

Oxford's guy was good to talk to but I'm not sure I was convinced that their training is worth several thousand pounds (£55k as opposed to £50k) more than their competitors for an Integrated Course (although they obviously have a great track record). Any views?

I have also heard elsewhere that Oxford have had staff troubles recently. Does anyone know if this is something a potential student should be worried about?

Did anyone have a go on GAPAN's mini-aptitude test? Although I have happily done a co-ordinated 30-degree turn (with a bit of rudder, pull slightly back on the nose and kept an eye on the power) without losing height, I found the GAPAN NAV/ALT test very unrealistic and, er, difficult. The joystick seemed hyper-sensitive to me. Anyone else have an opinion on whether such simple tests are of any real value? Was I missing the point somewhere?

Lastly, I was disappointed that there don't appear to be any approved schools (for full-time integrated courses) in the NW of England. This means us poor Northerners 'aff to travel South and find a years' accommodation locally which only means less afor't whippet. Anyone know why? Am I wrong?

Cheers all....

------------------

rada76
7th Nov 2004, 15:59
I can only comment on personal experience and do not want to advertise.

Having been a Modular JAR student at London Guildhall (now London Met Uni) I completed my CPL-ME-IR at Stapleford. Not the full new system but the seperate CPL, ME, IR. The training was more than good and with on airfield accomodation there were no problems.

Training at Stapleford was in 2002.

There were students who didn't like Stapleford (Set-up / Instructor etc etc) and some finished at other schools. However these did seem to be the ones who struggled / required further training. It is a difficult and stressfull course but hey, You KNOW that.

Best luck to all.

Andy_R
10th Nov 2004, 21:23
Nearly all the exhibitors were very helpful; particularly the Aussie guy Bob from Jerez. He was quite happy to give as near to impartial information as possible. They also offer a free aptitude test if you go down there before Xmas...(

Birky

Can't find any details on this via the web. Any chance of forwarding details??

Birky
11th Nov 2004, 15:21
Here you go...

http://www.flighttrainingeurope.com/news_detail_55.html

Andy_R
12th Nov 2004, 20:48
Thank you very much for that