PDA

View Full Version : Aus Licences in NZ?

Gear in transit
6th Nov 2004, 10:05
How does it work nowadays with licences between Oz and NZ? Is there a conversion required or can they be used without any paperwork seeing they are both ICAO licences?

Chimbu chuckles
6th Nov 2004, 10:09
Trans Tasman Agreement.

Go to the NZ CAA website and find the aircrew licencing section...it's simply a matter of download form, fill out, attach required supporting documentation and forwarding with fee to NZ CAA in Lower Hutt...takes maybe a few weeks to recieve by return mail. You must have a current Oz medical of course and if you want an ATPL you must have a current Instrument Rating...not sure for CPL.

Gear in transit
6th Nov 2004, 10:44
Ah thanks for that. :ok:

Sqwark2000
6th Nov 2004, 21:51
The TTMRA only applies to "professional" licences. So if you have a ppl you will have to do a formal licence conversion which includes a BFR with a B or A Cat instructor, form filling and a cheque for $NZD50-ish.

For CPL and ATPL conversion you will get the equivalent license or rating that is has been fully issued to you in OZ. I.e ATPL subjects or partial subjects are not covered.

S2K

chief wiggum
6th Nov 2004, 23:57
Does one also need a class one NZ medical ? which I heard can be done by a doctor in Brisvegas .

Or does the OZ medical suffice for both ?

Chimbu chuckles
7th Nov 2004, 00:11
Oz medical suffices until expiry then must do a kiwi one.

tinpis
7th Nov 2004, 02:23
Oz medical suffices until expiry then must do a kiwi one.

Which includes a shot of Nilverm and a run through a sheep dip.

:(

AerocatS2A
8th Nov 2004, 06:27
I did my conversion the other way, ie NZ to Aus, it should be the same process either way. It was very simple, I went in to the CASA office in Darwin and they did it on the spot (though I had to make an appointment so she could set asside enough time). The actual licence took a couple of weeks to arrive but she said I could have a temporary licence immediately if I needed to fly before that, I didn't so I didn't worry about it.

I used my NZ Class 1 until it expired. I did have trouble when I did my MECIR in Aus as CASA wouldn't accept my NZ Class 1 despite having issued me the CPL in the first place. Lucky I had a piece of paper from the CASA medical bloke that clearly stated that my NZ Class 1 was valid till expirey in Aus.

The only trouble I had was that my aerobatic rating didin't carry over (as it's a logbook endorsement rather than a rating). Also the only retractable I'd flown (T6 Harvard) didn't appear in the CASA list of retractable undercarriage aircraft and the woman wasn't going to give me the endorsement until some other guy in the office said he knew of the type and it was ok.

Beware that there is no such thing as a co-pilot instrument rating in NZ so if that's all you have then you won't be able to convert it to a NZ instrument rating.