PDA

View Full Version : Which headset?

Gingerbread Man
4th Nov 2004, 11:50
Hello there, I am at the point in my PPL training where I have started thinking about getting my own headset. In the limited experience I have had, I have more or less made up my mind that the "pale green ones" (am I going to get done for advertising here??) are the only contenders, but I have discovered that Sennheiser sell headsets that seem to have better specifications and are a similar cost. Does anyone have any experience of both of these to be able to make a comparison?

Cheers and apologies if I am not allowed to mention brand names :bored:

Ginge :cool:

concorde002
4th Nov 2004, 12:48
I would also be interested in this topic. I've been told that David Clark Headsets are the best by far, especially in the £200 - £250 price range.

Any views/opinions much appreciated!

Send Clowns
4th Nov 2004, 13:07
Certainly go for a David Clark, my choice would be the H10-13.4 (http://www.davidclark.com/HeadsetPgs/h10-134.htm) . Had one for over 4 years and over 600 hours in light aircraft. Not looked after as well as it should have been, never a moment's problem. Buy in the US if you can, much cheaper.

redsnail
4th Nov 2004, 13:07
It depends on personal preference, how long you think you'll use it for and your environment.

I got a set of Dave Clark's 10-20's about 16 years ago. They haven't given me any trouble and I have used them in temperatures ranging from near zero to +40 deg C. From arid desert conditions to high humidity maritime conditions.
They have never let me down.
I changed the ear covers to gel and put a cloth cover on them. Much more comfy.

They work.

WX Man
4th Nov 2004, 17:53
Get some decent ear seals- the best ones around are made by Oregon Aero. You don't see them around much in this country, but they are well worth it. http://www.oregonaero.com

Somedaymaybe
4th Nov 2004, 18:36
I defo agree with the guys, I bought a pair of DC's and for the money they are the best around. The clarity of Voice through them never fails and the Sound is superb, especially playing around in the Puddle Jumpers it shuts the noise of the engine right down to a minimal.

I ordered mine off Transair and I was actually sent a choice of ear guards.

Have Fun

SDM:ok:

aged
4th Nov 2004, 21:28
DC 10-13.4
They do what it says on the tin. And carry on doing it.
There are fancier and cheaper and brighter but why bother.

Just be sure not to look for pink ones, could get you in all sorts of problems

Aim High
4th Nov 2004, 22:57
Sennheiser are very good
I recommend them to all my students
at about £140 good value
Dave Clark are good I own / use them but that's is only because nobody was around to tell me different when I bought them
p.s. if you do go for dave clark buy them from the states to lessen the cost

silverknapper
5th Nov 2004, 10:14
My peltors broke recently and was told by a mate to get the 13.4s. Can only agree with all here. Excellent.
If you can't go to the states shop around here. The price varies a lot, from £197 up to £240. Flightstore have them for £197.

Cheers

SK

Blinkz
5th Nov 2004, 11:09
I've just posted a similair topic in private flying. I'm about half way thro my PPL training, with plans to go on to commercial training.

I went to my local shop and tried a load on. I really wasn't impressed with DCs. They weren't very comfortable and had very high cup pressure. The bose-x are gorgeous, really light and comfortable. Pretty much every review of them I've read says they are the best ANR headsets you can buy. Slight problem is there £750. My plan is to get them in the US were they are quite abit cheaper.

This a good choice? Also, what type of mic is needed electret or dynamic?

geraldn
5th Nov 2004, 11:18
ive personally found the david clark h10-13.4 very good,especially with the gel filled ear seals and they where recommended by most pilots i met .

concorde002
5th Nov 2004, 11:49
Thanks for the replies so far!! They have all been very interesting!!

It appears the David Clark h10-13.4 has been mentioned several times, so it must be an fairly good headset!!

I'm hopefully going to the US early in Jan next year, a few people have mentioned buying the headset over there, obviously to save money!!

Now I know with camera equipment, especially Canon, you get a worldwide warranty/guarantee, does this apply to David Clarks' headsets?

Do the David Clark models specification's/apperance vary from each country?

Many Thanks

Blinkz
5th Nov 2004, 11:57
No headsets are pretty standard around the world, for GA you'll generally need the two-plug connections, like I said in my other post I'm not sure about what mic is best to get.

Don't just go on what people say tho. Go to a shop, try them on, everyones head is shaped differently! I must have tried about 15 different sets on when I visited!

Gingerbread Man
5th Nov 2004, 13:05
It appears someone has hijacked my vote of thanks ;), but cheers guys. I suppose you can't really make up your mind until you can compare the two in an aircraft, which is rather annoying. All I know is that at Nottingham, I was borrowing cheap sets and they were harsh to listen to and uncomfortable, and then I used DCs at Thruxton and they were completely different and far better. However, one of my friends has a pair of Sennheiser headphones for hi-fi and the clarity and the reduction even on a small set is awesome, so it made me wonder if DCs really were the best option. Anyway, I shall ponder some more - thanks for the response.

GRIFFIN2000
6th Nov 2004, 06:19
Regarding which DC microphone to use, the dynamic has WAAAAY better sound quality. It is a bit sensitive to humidity though so if you leave the headset in the aircraft between flights and there is a big change in temperature and humidity during the day you may experience that your voice will fade as the membrane in the mic doesn`t vibrate as it should when very humid. HENCE: Dont leave the head set in the aircraft between flights when chilly and rainy!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------
Darn spandinavians. I beat them in the war and I`ll beat them again.

jsf
6th Nov 2004, 08:00
Personally, I find "the pale green ones" uncomfortable and cumbersome. There are much better headsets available for less money......in my opinion.

Pilot Communications
Flightcom Denali

Try before you buy.

jsf

WX Man
6th Nov 2004, 14:21
My biggest complaint with the new Pilot Communications headsets is the cheap placky headband. A good, firm ear seal is essential for cutting out noise, and you just can't get this with the new style plastic band.

The older style metal band might be heavier, but it does the job SOOO much better.

I actually find the noise level with my Pilot ANR headset (the top of the range PA17-79) is MORE than with my bog standard Pilot 11-20s purely because the seal around the ear is much better.

Frustrating, seeing as the ANR headset cost me about £250!!!

Pay a LOT of attention to how well the headset fits around your ears, with and without sunglasses. It will make a lot of difference!

sdryh
8th Nov 2004, 17:37
Have a Look At E-bay... I bought a fantastic pair of David Clarks HD-60's for apx £100 less than they were in the shop. The were hardly used, infact I think they had never been used.

R

:ok:

ZK-IAG
10th Nov 2004, 06:07
I got my David Clark H10.13.4 from sportys.com

Great value, efficient service, quick delivery.
And no, I don't work for them!
Made a significant saving as opposed to buying locally. Am not really worried about the warranty, as they are solid as!

Cheers
IAG

feet dry
10th Nov 2004, 08:52
Morning,

Just adding my voice to the DC 10-13.4 brigade....bought mine 6 years ago in the good ole US of A.

Very good sound quality, good ear protection and all day comfyness. When first used I found the gel pads could get a bit sweaty, the cotton covers sorted that though.

I even occasionally sit around the house in them.........oopps sorry, I'll get my coat..........

Regards