PDA

View Full Version : Solo sign-offs.... again!

Snigs
4th Nov 2004, 07:43
I was having a discussion with my CFI last night and there seems to be a bit of ambiguity about the rules about solo sign-offs in order to remove the instructor restriction. Now I know that this has been done before but bear with me.

The wording in LASORS says this: at least 100 hours flight instruction and, in addition, has supervised at least 25 student solo flights. Now, it is the word student here that causes the ambiguity for me.

So here’s the question. I’m giving night training to a chap who is a PPL holder and I send him solo (obviously not his initial night solo), can this be counted as a solo sign-off? As this chap is already a PPL, and all he is doing is adding to the privileges of his license, does he still count as a student in the above context?

The reason I ask is that this thought occurred to me. I send my paperwork to the CAA to have my restriction removed, they check the status of the above student and notice that he is already a license holder, they don’t know the times at which he flew so they throw my paperwork back as incorrect!

What do you think?

BEagle
4th Nov 2004, 10:31
It would seem fair enough to me. Just put 'night solo' in the exercise column - and don't forget that the form will need to be signed off by your supervisor.

RodgerF
4th Nov 2004, 11:17
Snigs,

This situation is covered by ANO Art 21 (2) (b). It refers to supervision for the 'grant or renewal of a licence or the inclusion or variation of any rating in the licence'. So if the pilot you are supervising does not have a valid licence or rating for the flight and is acting under your supervision, it must count as 'solo supervision'

sickBocks
4th Nov 2004, 11:45
Your night person is a student of the night qualification...

Snigs
5th Nov 2004, 06:31
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated :)