PDA

View Full Version : Flying Training in New Zealand

pheeel
2nd Nov 2004, 09:01
hey guys

forgive me if this has been mentioned before but i had a quick look and couldn't see any similar topics on any of the D&G forums or under the training forums either... :O

The question:
Could anyone recommend any flying schools in New Zealand, for training?

I'm hoping to go out there and get a PPL as it is costs significantly less than here in the UK. Either north or south Island will do, but hopefully I will be doing some gliding in Omarama at some point too.

Obviously I've looked at websites of the flying schools, but I'd be grateful if anyone has any positive words to say about particular schools (or negative for that matter!).

Thanks in advance for any help...

Cheers

pheeel
:D

edited:
ooops just found:
Topic: What is the best flight school in New Zealand?
and
Topic:Flying in New Zealand (Private Pilots Forum)

Sorry moderators! If anyone has anything more recent or extra to add I'd be grateful...

ta

pheeel

Slater
2nd Nov 2004, 18:22
Hey, this has been covered in all the other topics regarding flight training in NZ, but i recommend coming to Queenstown. Do your training with the Wakatipu Aero Club. Fantastic flying in a great area. There are a number of Scenic Flight operators down here flying in Milford Sound, so when your training is complete you are in a good position to find work.

I did my training up north and came here 3 years ago. Struggling to find reasons to leave, its great. Plus its nice and close to Omarama for you gliding.

Slater

Carnegie Wah
4th Nov 2004, 04:34
I've talked to many on this subject,
If it's just a Joe Jandels licence (PPL) your after, where ever!
If you want to be a sharp operational pilot there are a small few places I wouldn't look past. Wakatipu are good and will give you some damn good mountain flying fine tuning especially if you want do that sort of flying to build up your hours down there into the sounds or up north with GBA or Mountain Air into Great barrier island. Good crowd down at Tauranga's Aero club, you'll have alot of fun with them on the way up. they have a fantastic social calender and I have found them very professional. As far as instrument ratings go, I've checked a number of guys coming through that have done theirs at AFS and what ever it is there doing their I can't fault it, as far as the rest of their training goes I don't really know enough to coment. If you want to come out of your time a really good hands on confident pilot go and have a chat to Warick Bleakly way up north at Quantum Aviation in Kerikeri, they would be my pick of a good bunch if Waricks still there. C.W.

JUNGLEJET
4th Nov 2004, 07:21
Lots of really good training organisations in New Zealand.

Have a look at some of these links:

Bay Flight International (http://www.bayflight.co.nz)

Waikato Aero Club (http://www.flywaikato.co.nz)

Royal New Zealand Aero Club (http://www.rnzac.org.nz)

North Shore Aero Club (http://www.nsac.co.nz)

Good luck

pheeel
6th Nov 2004, 15:48
Cheers to all for your feedback so far, it's been gratefully recieved....;)

the pheeel

heathmac1
20th Nov 2004, 01:01
what about the manawatu?? we have got a flying school in Feilding - Flight Training Manawatu. Fantastic bunch of people with a variety of aircraft. twins, singles, IF. Dont write it Off!!;)

BitMoreRightRudder
20th Nov 2004, 19:09
Queenstown must be an incredible spot to learn to fly, for the scenery alone! And then on an evening you wouldn't be short of things to do!

Anywhere in NZ to be fair is pretty spectacular, wherever you go for the PPL the view out of the cockpit will more often than not take your breath away. There are some great airfields that will not charge you a penny to do a land away and the peolple are great.

You could really base yourself anywhere Pheel for a PPL. Kerikeri way up North is a great spot and then there are flying clubs/schools at all sorts of places right down to Invercargill. If I had the chance to do the ppl again I'd go down south as you get some real mountain flying in and as I said, that scenery.....

It beats the UK hands down:cool:

( If you're English, I'd leave the England rugby shirt at home though, at least until we play Spencer and co with our full strength team, then mine is coming out of hiding);)

steve181
21st Nov 2004, 07:29
the I.A.A.N.Z/ C.A.C is the way to go. It's opposite Christchurch international airport, I believe it's the biggest ppl/cpl training organisation in the southern hemisphere. With modern facilities, and a massive fleet. Where else can you fly to the coast in 2 minutes, fly to the alps in 15 minutes, take off beside 747's (grass runway is parallel to the main runway)?

There's a guy from the UK that was training at the same time as me, and he never complained, he only had good things to say about the academy, and Christchurch!

ZK-NSN
26th Nov 2004, 19:42
Steve181 - They got you on commision or something. You left out waiting at the holding point for 15 minutes and getting a beating in those Nor'westers. stay away from those pilot factories.

If your doing a PPL just find a nice part of the country an see whats around. Nelson is a good spot. Good scenery with a freindly but realistic training environment. (but i would say that)

Aynayda Pizaqvick
26th Nov 2004, 21:25
I agree with steve181,

If you are after a PPL and hoping to go back to the UK i suggest you go somewhere you will get experience dealing with CAS. CHCH is in CTR-C but you still get a large dose of variety - hills, plains or sea.
I am on no commision but have experience in UK and NZ and the little time you spend at the hold point (from memory you dont pay while the wheels aren't moving) is worth the experience of seeing other aircraft in the same piece of sky at the same time - the UK FIR is a much busier place, esp below 2000ft!
Where ever you end up, find a QFI you like and enjoy the flying!

Happy flying!

belowMDA
26th Nov 2004, 22:37
Aynayda Pizaqvick

I don't see the wheels moving much in the air either! They must be bloody cheap. Righto it's off there then!:}

pheeel
6th Dec 2004, 14:55
ongoing thanks for all your ongoing replies.

Think it may well be a random choice based on how things appear from this side of the world. The area around Queenstown greatly appeals, but everywhere seems like it might be ok, just the have to get lucky with the people I suppose!

I'll send a few emails around a few schools and see the response I get...

thanks again

pheeel

Kaptin M
6th Dec 2004, 22:10
How about Hanmer Air (http://www.hanmerair.co.nz/services.html) based in Hanmer Springs - about 130 kms north of Christchurch - on the South Island.

The location is great, and there's plenty of other things to do (horse riding, go-karting, golf, forest walks....in fact check out Things to do in Hanmer Springs (http://www.hanmersprings.net/) on that website).
And accomodation will be much cheaper than Queenstown!!

1McLay
7th Dec 2004, 07:34
Hey Pheel check your PMs

1M

scallaghan
12th Dec 2004, 12:51
Hi

Are any of the NZ flight schools JAA rated for commercial training?

Reading the above threads it seems a little confusing :D

I want to finish off my 150 hours in NZ after completing my ATPL ground exams here in the U.K.

If theirs a firm in NZ that does do the JAR CPL course, I might try and do that their followed by by JAA IR back here in the U.K.

Currently flying mix of PA28/38's along with a PA28R arrow complex and have just under 100 hours.

Also doing my Night rating here in the U.K. which is a requirement of the 150 hours via the modular route.

As apart of my hour building in NZ, I want to fly an arrow or another complex as its cheaper then hiring a Arrow here in the U.K all the time.

If any of those flying schools are reading this, please PM any information.

Cheers

Sean

SpinSpinSugar
14th Dec 2004, 15:42
Just a quick thumbs up for Nelson Aero Club (http://www.nelsonaeroclub.co.nz/). Had a flying holiday out there at the back end of 2003 and they were a nice outfit to fly with. It's also a nice part of the country, right next to the Abel Tasman National Park and lots of cheap accomodation available in Nelson.

Maybe more predictable weather than some places on South Island!

Cheers, SSS

pheeel
27th Apr 2005, 11:21
Anyone had any experience of Marlborough Aero Club near Blenheim or South Canterbury down at Timaru?

Think I might prefer a smaller club for training...

6080ft
28th Apr 2005, 08:08
I'd put in a thumbs up for up north...... at least its not too bloody cold in winter!!!! KeriKeri would be good I reckon. Stay away from pilot factories though, they give you the big sell to get you in the door then leave you to it.

6080ft:ok:

Sqwark2000
2nd May 2005, 20:36
scallaghan,

The only JAA certified school in NZ is CTC based in Hamilton. They have a training contract with McAlpine Aviation from the UK to train Easyjet Cadets to CPL/MEIR standard before they go back to the UK for LOFT and stuff.

Not sure of any website etc but try a websearch.

As to recommending an hour building location, then I can put forward the Hawkes Bay & East Coast Aero CLub in Hastings, NZ.

They cater for international students, have cheap on site accomodation, no landing fees (as they own the airfield), and plenty of options for seeing the NZ landscape.

try www.airacademy.hs.co.nz

S2K