PDA

View Full Version : UK Flying Terms

MajorMadMax
1st Nov 2004, 18:02
A bud told me that there used to be a document or pamphlet with UK flying terms, and asked if I knew of a place to find them now. After explaining I was in Belgium, not the UK, I told him I would ask here. Any help would be appreciated...:ok:

Cheers! M2

Lou Scannon
2nd Nov 2004, 11:39
Would that be "terms" as in what the wiggly bits on the ends of the wing are called?

...or "terms" as in how much notice you have to give before quitting a job?

Megaton
2nd Nov 2004, 11:47
Go easy on MMM; he is ethnically challenged. :p

How's the family, dude, and when are you heading home? Looking forward to returning to a Democratic country? :D

MajorMadMax
2nd Nov 2004, 12:49
Howdy Ham!

Didn't realize someone was taking the pi$$ out of me, I wish some people would learn to speak English...like us 'Mericans!!

We are due to leave in June, I am hoping to get back to San Antonio as I will be retiring :} one year after arriving. I hear WalMart is hiring. Of course SWMBO wants to be closer to (her) family, but season tickets at Sea World make everything :ok:

Drop me a PM and let me know how things are with you and the clan...

Oh, by the way, apparantly there was a pamphlet the 3AF guys at Mildenhall used to publish on UK flying terms ("Language of a certain kind; chosen words: spoke in rather vague terms; "praised him in glowing terms."); however, it is not available on-line. I doubt anyone here would have a copy, but is there anything similar to us non-native speakers that visit/fly over your fine country?

Cheers! M2

airborne_artist
2nd Nov 2004, 12:54
Prang = crash
Wizard = Very good
T1ts up = wrong
Donkey = engine

eg: The donkey stopped, and it looked like it was all going t1ts up, but then I had a wizard prang, and here I am, said Nigel.

CarltonBrowne the FO
2nd Nov 2004, 17:14
If it's radio terminology you're looking for, the UK Civil aviation language is contained in CAP 413
http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publicationdetails.asp?id=247
You can either buy the book, or download the pdf...
Hmmm, it's been quite a few years since I looked at it, perhaps I had better get a copy too.