PDA

View Full Version : "Becoming a Pilot" booklet by CASA

Wing Root
31st Oct 2004, 09:35
Having a look through the CASA website today I came across this booklet. (http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/pilot/pilot.htm)

I was pleasantly surprised to see some realistic figures quoted in it. Things like... Previous estimates of future demand for airline crews were that 300,000–500,000 pilots would need to be recruited worldwide over the next twenty years to meet the demand generated by projected fleet growth. The flight training industry was gearing itself for that market. However, world events such as terrorism , SARS and the global economic situation have dramatically changed the aviation industry and the future outlook for airlines and for pilots seeking a flying career.and
Over 14,000 commercial pilots in Australia are not currently employed as pilots.

I'd say that is an interesting figure.

Will there be many flying schools that will have this sitting on their counter for prospective students to read?

Obiwan
31st Oct 2004, 23:40
It looks like a reprint of an earlier edition from a few years ago. Some of the career profiles haven't changed - but I see they've updated some bits.

There's also an edition on careers for engineers - got a link for that?

pohm1
1st Nov 2004, 07:28
I've heard this figure of 14000 commercial pilots not employed before, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't account for those holding an Australian licence that are employed overseas.

The Messiah
2nd Nov 2004, 02:10
Of course it doesn't because if they are employed overseas then they are not part of the 14000 who are NOT employed now are they.

Icarus2001
2nd Nov 2004, 06:47
Number of pilots in Australia 2004
Type of Licence
Current 2004 Aeroplane
Air Transport aeroplane 6,025
Commercial aeroplane 4,303
Private aeroplane 15,498
Student GFPT 4,564
Total Aeroplane 30,390

These figures are from the CASA website here...http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/fcl_lic/fcl_req.htm

So there are 4,303 CPL holders in Australia with a current medical certificate enabling them to exercise the priveleges of their licence.

Is the 14,000 an extrapolation of those issued over a recent period compared to those now "current"?

And yes Wing Root I give these booklets out all the time. They are out of print at present however.