PDA

View Full Version : Buying RT Receiver

Trim & Proper
30th Oct 2004, 13:50
Hi, I really want to buy a hand-held receiver so that I can listen in to my local ATC and brush up on my RT. I've got about £15O - £200 to spend on a hand held receiver, can anyone advise me which is the best one to buy in this price range and where can I obtain it from ???

Your advice is much appreciated as I am a TYRO PPL and a complete novice in this area....

BEagle
31st Oct 2004, 07:01
In that price range, there are vastly more capable receivers available than just a simple airband receiver.

You might want to consider the ICOM IC-R5 which covers 0.150 MHz to 1310 - a huge range of frequencies, including both civil 118-137 and military 225-400 frequency bands. It also includes 8.33kHz channelling for the civil VHF band.

Do remember that there are restrictions on the use of wide band receivers, although the subject is a bit vague. A u/t PPL pilot brushing up on R/T would probably be absolutely fine, but scanning the police frequencies obviously wouldn't!

I've seen the IC-R5 advertised at £189.99 in a well-known UK pilot shop's brochure, but you may find it cheaper elsewhere.

If all you wany is a straight Airband receiver without either 8.33 kHz channelling or military frequencies, there's the Maycom AR-108 at £79.99 from the same place.

Easiest way to find a place selling such radios is to type ICOM IC-R5 into the Google search bar.... Or eBay - there's currently a very good one being auctioned by an ICOM dealer.

ramsrc
1st Nov 2004, 06:02
Another one to consider is the Yupiteru MVT-7100 or its slightly smaller (in size) brother the MVT-7300 (which actually has more features). Both of these are extremely sensitive and make excellent little receivers.

PM me if you want to know where to get hold of these - unfortunately to post the name of a company would go against PPRuNe's terms and conditions.

As BEagle mentioned - Concerning the legality of listening. If you apply the letter of the law in the UK, it is not illegal to own a wide band receiver, but it is illegal to listen to broadcasts which are not intended for "public consumption" (or words to that effect). What that means is that you can listen to radio and television broadcasts, citizens band transmissions, and amateur transmissions. Anything else is theoretically illegal. Having said that, brushing up on RT as a PPL is likely to be classed as a broadcast that you are entitled to.

Wycombe
1st Nov 2004, 08:46
I've had a Yupi 7100 for a couple of years - excellent piece of kit.

Particularly useful for things like listening to VOLMETS, ATIS etc. whilst still at home and trying to make a decision whether it's going to be a flyable day or not.

r44flyer
1st Nov 2004, 09:30
got the icom one as well. very nice bit of kit for the money.

there's my vote!

Trim & Proper
1st Nov 2004, 22:37
Hi - Thanks for all the replies, I'll be well equiped now before i make a choice.......many thanks.