PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND sponsorship

jamestkirk
29th Oct 2004, 14:29
There are thousands of out of work pilots out there, so why do airlines start sponsorship schemes.

Does anyone know:

1. What benefit is there to paying for training 0 to F ATPL/IR / 737 etc. TR, when fully trained pilots (like me) are waiting for a job.

2. Can any accountant (i hate them anyway) tell me the financial advantages.

3. Does the airline think they will get individuals who will stay loyal to that airline, throughout thier career.
If so, THINK AGAIN. As an ex-management trainer and HR person, that theory does not hold water.

I am sure that some airlines have a good, forward thinking team so assess needs and supply.

I am sure some are not being effective in personnel cost or incapable of knowing what they want/need.

I am not bitter or anything. It's only I have seen this before in other campanies. It's mind boggling.

But generally, it is always something to do with an accountant. They should be locked in an office (resembling a cell) and never seen or heard universally.

give me an axe
29th Oct 2004, 15:03
airlines , especially accountants , are begining to realise that a license is a license is a license, after all how many sponsorship schemes are there out there now, not too many !!

Even the daddy of them all BA, has said it will probably never go down the road of sponsoring pilots.

If your talking about sponsorship schemes like Flybe's, you still end up stumping up £30ish grand, you do get a better deal than doing your own, but i'd hardly call parting with that type of cash as sponsorship...........

jamestkirk
29th Oct 2004, 15:18
Well, I live in hope that sponsorship does not happen anymore.

Unless, someone finds a way to get a job more difficult.

I still HATE accountants though. They are psychologically regarded as:

peoples minus (-)
goals minus (-)

(meaning,don't care for people much and have no real long term goals)

Whereas Pilots are psycholgically regarded as:

Peoples plus (+)
Goals plus (+)

Along with doctors and spritual leaders (which i think we are). Sprirtual leaders i mean, not doctors.

here are many people who have a shrine in thier bedrooms of me. It's a cross i have to bear