PDA

View Full Version : Are weather related delays becoming more common?

Porker964
29th Oct 2004, 11:11
In advance, I hope this isn't a daft question.

Since the start of the year I'm SLFing reasonably frequently - about 3 times a fortnight.

It's been 4 years since I last flew so often (NB 50% UK domestic, 50% UK-Europe, especially AMS).

4 years ago, I recall being delayed once during the year for very bad weather - and lots of the usual mutterings about ATC delays.

This last 12 months I've had flights cancelled 4 times due to Heathrow "closing" due to weather/storms.

My perception therefore is that London basin has become much more prone to Thunderstorms and Heathrow "closes" much more frequently.

Am I correct, or are different words being used in the same situations to imply a more dynamic and active management of weather probs. "Closed" sounding more controlled than "noone can get in and out because of crap weather" which I do recall hearing 4 years ago.

Or is something else making a difference?

Polite comments gratefully received! Thanks.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Oct 2004, 12:10
Heathrow doesn't "close" for weather - at least, it's never declared "closed" by the airport authority except under really exceptional conditions, eg snow. I only saw that happen once in the 31 years I was involved with the operations there. I've just been talking to a currently operational controller and heard stories of recent bad weather, but I'm not sure that it's any worse now than it has been over the last quarter century or so. The worst situation is when there is bad weather very close to the final approach path; that's when some may say that the place is "closed" because aircraft will not land. Often the storm cells may be all around the airport but not on the final approach... so it may look real bad but aircraft can still land. Conversely, the general weather around southern England may just look misearable but a storm cell 6 miles out can cause havoc.

Scottie Dog
29th Oct 2004, 12:15
As our learned friend Heathrow Director has already said, airports rarely close.

One other thing to be considered is the volumn of traffic now using Heathrow. Any delays, caused by whatever reason, will almost certainly result in Flow Control being introduced with an inevitable effect on subsequent flights. This may therefore mean that later flights will be cancelled whilst the airlines try to get back in control of the situation.

Is it better to cancel one roundtrip or to have delays on half a dozen or more due to late running aircraft?