PDA

View Full Version : Boeing Completion of Its 757 Program

Mode7
29th Oct 2004, 07:13
RENTON, Wash., Oct. 28, 2004 -- Boeing today marked the completion of its 757 commercial airplane program, as thousands of employees and special guests saluted one of history's most successful passenger airplanes.

The 1,050th and final 757, a Shanghai Airlines 757-200, was the centerpiece of a ceremony at the company's Renton, Wash., factory. The 757 is one of only seven large commercial jetliner models that sold more than 1,000 units.

"The 757 changed the world of commercial aviation with its extended range capabilities, operational efficiency and the introduction of computer-aided design, composite manufacturing and integrated flight displays and controls ," said Boeing Commercial Airplanes President and Chief Executive Alan Mulally. "We're proud of the 757's innovative contribution to our safe and efficient global air transportation system, and the fact that passengers will enjoy the 757 airplane in service for years to come."

More than 1,030 757s are in service around the world.

Known for its fuel efficiency and clean and quiet operation, the 757 entered production in 1981. Boeing delivered the first to launch customer Eastern Airlines on Dec. 22, 1982 . Three principal models were eventually produced -- the 757-200, 757-300, and the 757-200 freighter. In addition, Boeing produced one 757-200 combi.

Seating 200 passengers, the 757-200 is highly regarded by pilots for its power and smooth handling. The 757-300, which is 23 feet 4 inches (7.1 meters) longer than a 757-200, carries 20 percent more passengers and was launched in September, 1996, by German charter airline Condor Flugdienst.

The capabilities of its Next-Generation 737 family and launch of its all-new 7E7 Dreamliner led Boeing to conclude the 757 program. The final 757 will be the 1,049 th delivered to an airline. Boeing uses the first 757 as a test bed.

Brenoch
29th Oct 2004, 12:07
Probably the best-looking airliner ever built.

Brings a tear to my eye. :{

Early Right
29th Oct 2004, 12:25
Brenoch, you said it.
An absolute megababe. long legs and big t**s.;)
Not to mention the performance......
cheers

BYMONEK
29th Oct 2004, 16:01
Watched the first one as a young lad,departing heathrow on a shuttle to Manchester.Performance was awe inspiring!Somewhat different from the trident,which itself is a sadly missed sight ( not noise though!).Never would have imagined that 10years later i would get to fly it. B757 has a place in many pilots hearts,from those that flew it to those that just admired her effortless ability to soar skywards smoothly and elegantly. Spent over 5000hrs on the stick insect,record was a 9hr,20min flight.....not bad for a 'medium'range aircraft. Nostalgia eh?

humble_dor
29th Oct 2004, 16:10
The 757 is one of only seven large commercial jetliner models that sold more than 1,000 units

Add more than 950 (767 orders) to that number and you get a rough estimate of the size of 7E7 fleet in 2025.

akerosid
29th Oct 2004, 16:31
Certainly a great airliner and one that I've always enjoyed flying in; it certainly didn't hang about - must be one of the best power to weight ratios in commercial aviation.

An uncle of mine used to work for a US major as a crew chief and he'd talk about the various types he'd work on (as a ground crew chief) - DC9 - nice, 727 - nice, etc, etc ... but when he talked about the 757, his eyes lit up. It was a superb aircraft.

And let's face it, 1050 is no disgrace for a production run.

Huck
29th Oct 2004, 16:54
Alas, the rumours that Fedex was going to keep the line going with a big freighter order were not true.

But the skies will still be full of them when I shuffle off the mortal coil. Destined to be the next 727, which was the next DC-8, which was the next DC-3....

Tempsford
29th Oct 2004, 18:33
In my humble opinion, the 757 isn't as robust as the 727, DC8 or DC3 so I don't expect its life as a Freighter to be as lenghty as the aforementioned illustrious aircraft.
Don't get me wrong, I have been involved with the wonderful Boeing 757 aircraft for over 20 years from a Maintenance perspective in both passenger and cargo roles (and indeed I still am).
In the case of the B757 I feel that 'they don't build em like they used to' will probably show itself to be a fact sooner than it did with the 727, DC8 or the DC3. Of course, should the aircraft prove me wrong I would be delighted.

Temps

763 jock
29th Oct 2004, 20:04
Flew an ex-Eastern 757 this week. Still running like clockwork in high density config, despite 65000 hours, 23000 cycles and 22 years old. For my money, the best IT short to medium range aircraft yet built. :ok:

Aviate378
29th Oct 2004, 20:41
Ohh yes! I'm still having a love affair with this lovely aircraft that surely beats my previous type (738NG) in both handling and performance wise.

The 757 is superior when using it's loading/range capabilities out from Scandinavia down to bit distant places like Canaries and Mid-East. It is an ultra reliable tool that really get's the job done with some class & style... :ok:

flybe.com
29th Oct 2004, 21:05
Early Right - my thoughts exactly, gorgeous.

NWSRG
29th Oct 2004, 21:28
Remember seeing a BA 757 doing the Belfast - Heathrow shuttle departing from Aldergrove some years ago.

For those of you who know the airport, the 757 was off the ground before the Bravo taxiway on a 25 departure...for those of you who don't, all you need to know is that that is quick! And the climb of that aircraft was superb.

Sad to see the end of the line for one of the best looking aircraft ever...

...the 757...the narrow body that thought it was a wide body!

unwiseowl
29th Oct 2004, 21:55
No, just a narrowbody with widebody engines!

Early Right
29th Oct 2004, 22:59
:ok: Pressing her buttons, fondling her wheels, she truly is the Ferrari of comercial aviation.........:cool:

30th Oct 2004, 00:19
As a controller I love the seven-fives, they can always give that bit extra when asked.....gobs of power......unlike the vacuum cleaner engines on the buses. Bit wary of the B753 when full though!

411A
30th Oct 2004, 06:28
Well, I sure as hell hope it makes a good (and reliable) freighter...as we are discussing now with the finance folks for a conversion order for six.

The 72's will be....gone for good, eventually.

skibeagle
30th Oct 2004, 08:49
Hey BYMONEK, beat you ! 9h 22m MAN-MCO (Orlando FL). Admittedly it was a ferry flight though. It was a very memorable trip, I remember we were vectored right over the shuttle recovery runway at Cape Canaveral at 2000'. Those were the days...

red 5
30th Oct 2004, 10:08
Best aircraft in my eyes, i'm a licenced engineer and been authorised on the aircraft since 1984. I've had some vantastic flights all over the world on the 757. One of my most memorable sights was on good friday 1992 in bangor maine i was on detachment there at the time with monarch. The entire 757 etops equiped fleet of monarch and air2000 arrived around 0900-1000 local from the uk for the usual tech stop before departing to orlando. Bit of a rush to get them all fuelled up and ready to go but what an impressive sight 14 aircraft i believe on the ground at the same time.

MkVIII
30th Oct 2004, 11:15
Sexiest darned airliner ever made (with 727-100 coming second, and DC9-31 third).

Only ever a pax on one, once: EDDF - EGLL. Take off performance I was fore-warned about - talk about an impressive body angle, and we were fullhouse!

The -300 just made it even sexier with those long legs, big boobs, and slender waist.

Compared to the 757, the 777 is the ugly red-haired step child :p ;) :}

Sootikin
30th Oct 2004, 12:09
Someone mentioned the excellent power-to-weight performance of the 757.

Well, as you probably all know, the Ruskies did their own "Chinese Copy" (?!) of the B757 , the Tupolev 204. (As an aside, I suspect that might start selling well in the West soon.) Same engines as the B757, and very similar airframe.

However, they didn't initially have an engine thrust de-rate system, so every take off was at rated thrust. My informatant was on the flight test aircraft and still shudders from the thought of the take-off performance with an empty aircraft.

However, I hear that all of the production now have a thrust management system.

Eric Mc
30th Oct 2004, 12:11
First flight in a 757 was on board BA's G-BIKJ in 1985 on a Dublin-LHR trip. WHAT A PERFORMANCE! We were off the old RWY24 like the proverbial rocket - did a 180 right over the airport and departed the Irish coast over Howth (737-200s and Tridents usually took in the whole of Dublin city to turn around and crossed the coast south of the city at Killiney).

I was impressed.

Early Right
30th Oct 2004, 12:25
No airliner beats the 757 in performance. I once got the chance to take the-200PF on a 30 min hop, only the two of us + 7000 kg of fuel:D :D :D. And someone forgot to dial in the de-rate........
Bloddy awsome, I´m stil having problems wiping the grin of my face.

Now where did I put the keys to my F-15:8
Early

sideshowbob
30th Oct 2004, 14:31
If you want to see a large collection of 757's have a look at the brussels ramp at night, always a good 15 or more. G-BIKJ now a freighter with DHL. As for the performance of the aircraft its c engine version is great the e4 engine makes it awesome!

763 jock
30th Oct 2004, 21:04
Got the usual "climb FL 310, level 55 miles before Midhurst yesterday on the way out of MAN. Once we got our requested cruise FL, we actually made FL410 (easily!!). BTW-bit cheeky to move this thread into history and nostalgia...
:{ :{ :{

qwertyuiop
30th Oct 2004, 23:38
This is all a bit sad. I still find the 757 a modern aircraft. OK, it is overpowered but which pilot would drive a polo if a TVR was in the drive? OK, some Airbus poofs who have no throtle control might but hey lets have fun. Lets celebrate a top machine, a beautiful and a lovely handlng aircraft. If you have only flown Airbus then you have only flown second best!!! Sadly you may argue (and I am sure you will) but we all know that the 757 is the dogs bollocks!

drag required
31st Oct 2004, 06:33
it is sad but the first ones, are being scrapped.....

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/689369/L/

:sad:

skibeagle
31st Oct 2004, 16:50
I wouldn't say it is overpowered at all, a handful on a light LTN-LGW ferry maybe but try a 113,398kg (MTOW) take-off out of Bahrain at +38C and it was "just right". The height of the wing above the ground coupled with the relatively high aspect ratio means ground effect is minimal and as such she's just a b!tch to get consistent smooth landings out of, but I guess looking hot and performing sexy comes at a price... That said get her somwhere wet and she slides in as smooth as silk.

Also the 5.5%+ S/E climb gradient at MLW means you can take the lowest minima everywhere or get out of any Innsbruck style airport you could wish to. Boeing even operated it in and out of a 14,000'ASL airport in China.

When people ask me about the 757, I simply say "no pilot who has ever flown it has a bad word to say about it". And to the Airbus sidestick fags, yes your fagjet is inferior for all its electronic gizmos - IMHO.