PDA

View Full Version : Definitions, missed app, go-around...

Capt. Haddock
29th Oct 2004, 05:15
How should we define the terms:
(1) Missed approach
(2) Go-around
(3) Overshoot (as it relates to runway/approach/landing)
(4) Rejected landing

GRIFFIN2000
29th Oct 2004, 13:33
A missed approach is when you follow the published missed approach procedure (IFR) constructed by the authorities.

A go around can be on IFR or VFR flight plan. The go around is initiated and can then be followed by the MAPt-procedure or just followed by a low approach re-joining the landing circuit depending on type of flight...

Human Factor
30th Oct 2004, 09:39
Careful using the term overshoot. I think it used to mean the same as "go-around" on our side of the pond. On the other side, if you say you're overshooting, they roll the fire trucks and look for you in the ditch at the end of the runway.

Meeb
5th Nov 2004, 11:29
A Missed Approach is what you brief for... a Go-around is when you accomplish the brief.... ;)

'I' in the sky
5th Nov 2004, 11:43
Missed approach: a published procedure starting from the missed approach point, usually terminating at a holding fix.

Go-around: The physical act of transitioning from a descent to a climb. Maybe to initiate a missed approach procedure, or maybe just a rejected visual landing, pehaps due to overshooting.

Overshoot: You are going to end up beyond the point you are aiming for. May result in a go-around or as HF said looking up into a ditch.

Rejected landing: Decided not to land and thus probably did a go-around.

Vortex Thing
7th Nov 2004, 00:58
When I did military fixed wing we were taught to use the word overshoot at mil fields but advised that civilans used go-around.

Had similar disjunct with stop stop stop as opposed to abort when rejecting a take off.