PDA

View Full Version : The Best Item Ever on Ebay

Peter Barron
28th Oct 2004, 19:13
Someone has just listed an Avro Vulcan on ebay, a snip at 6 grand, now if only my back garden was big enough !!!

VP8
28th Oct 2004, 19:42
He'll be lucky to get 6 bob let alone 6 grand......It's a shed literaly rotting into the deck!!

VEEPS:(

G085H1TE
28th Oct 2004, 21:36
My God! Someone's bid on it!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2979&item=5530699633&rd=1

Jerricho
29th Oct 2004, 01:25
Buyer collects!! Anybody out there current on one?

eko4me
29th Oct 2004, 01:40
Maybe Beags ????

TenAndie
29th Oct 2004, 14:38
If i was a very rich guy, of which there are plenty these days, i would definatly by it. Just to get out of bed on a morning and look at of your window to see a Vulcan on your drive.

Can picture seen........

'you wanna go to London for the weeknd ? Shall we take the Merc or the Vulcan'

Jerricho
29th Oct 2004, 15:53
At lease you'd avoid the congestion charge. Although, landing fees could be an issue.

My names Turkish
29th Oct 2004, 16:12
I am a bit concerned about the Bidder. I reckon he is a spotty youth who has bid on it after a wet dream. Look at the items he has bid on here (http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=cooleyn2004) . For the non ebayers amongst you, click on the item number in blue on the extreme right hand side. These are the items the bidder has bought or sold in the past. I bet he won't come through with the money.

Although he did sell this, amybe he was saving for the Vulcan?

http://i11.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/46/c0/4d_1_b.JPG

And sold this-

"Original item, recovered from former RAF Banff dump. Yoke stuck in position shown."

http://i15.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/25/1e/b5_1_b.JPG

Lots of star wars, comics and Status quo memorabilia, makes me suspicous.:p

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Oct 2004, 16:31
<<Shall we take the Merc or the Vulcan'>>

You'd need the Merc. Vulcans haven't been allowed in the London Control Zone since Princess Margaret's wedding. ANO Article 608, para 423, (a) XVII (z), sub-section D(iii) refers...

Harrier46
29th Oct 2004, 17:51
Blatant victimisation here. Suggest we all get a petition going, after all why shouldn't Mr Spock be allowed in London?

Waldo Salt
29th Oct 2004, 23:31
Mike

After reading your post, would I be right in thinking, that she will take a bit of priming, to get her airbourne?:}

JustaFew
30th Oct 2004, 23:07
Don't tell me you've got the ANO on favourites, Bren!!!

Jerricho
31st Oct 2004, 17:25
Nah, he's got them memorised.

STANDTO
31st Oct 2004, 17:46
this is actually quite a historic aircraft, as it was one of the standby a/c for Black Buck. If a certain ME QFI would send me my book back which he got Dave Thomas to sign eons ago, I would be able to tell you the whole story. It was originally bought (as were a few) with the intention to fly it on a civilian aegis. I believe the engines were removed, so they must have been lying around in the salty Blackpool air for some time.

Bloody scandalous demise of an airframe if you ask me. Interestingly enough, I don't think he paid much more than 6K for it originally!

noisy
1st Nov 2004, 12:35
The cost of transporting this mighty beast is going to be prohibitive. I do hate seeing them like this. Hope she's not too far gone already.

Edit:

Oh No! It looks like the current bidder (£10,300) is some kind of IT/Electronics nerd... I forsee a lot of scrap metal with only the cockpit section remaining. :{ :{

Peter Barron
1st Nov 2004, 19:48
The bidding has gone hectic today.

22 bids and it up to £15,600, it looks as though a few people have big back gardens.

Someone did retact their bid though, he gave the reason that the seller changed the Description.
The seller did change the description, he said that it would not fly:D

dada
1st Nov 2004, 20:01
i'd like to bid but can't collect. how much would post and package be ?

Jerricho
1st Nov 2004, 21:38
Would that be by air-mail? :E

Sagey
1st Nov 2004, 22:46
Now over £1m, surely rogue bidders?

How much should a Vulcan in that condition cost?, can't seem to find any in AutoTrader or Exchange and Mart ;)

Sagey

speedbird_heavy
2nd Nov 2004, 09:09
The second that it is moved it will crumble to bit. Its not even worth the £6000 starting bid IMHO.

Bids now above £2.1m

Peter Barron
2nd Nov 2004, 09:23
I cannot work out what is going on with the Vulcan auction.

With the bidding at over 2m now I don't think these are genuine bids, why turn the auction in to a farse, what is the point.
Some of the bidders have good feedback, people with good feedback are normally genuine so I don't understand why they are bidding.

Phileas Fogg
2nd Nov 2004, 09:24
Just imagine how much the 'World's Favourite' would have made for their shareholders had they e-bay'd the Concordes!

Frank Furillo
2nd Nov 2004, 11:43
£2,499,499 Now
they must be mad.

I cannot belive anybody would pay that much for it. I have seen it many times at Blackpool, when I go flying, and always feel sad for it.
Its a shame what has happened to a piece of Cold War history.

Out of interest about 6 or 7 months ago a Mig 25 Foxbat with lots of spares was auctioned off on Ebay for $3,000,000 it worked and was on the 'N' reg.
FF

Phileas Fogg
2nd Nov 2004, 11:52
I think you'll find the supersonic airliner sold on ebay outdoes the Vulcan or indeed Foxbat:

Though designed to meet an Aeroflot requirement for a high-speed airliner, the ill-fated Tu-144 was built primarily as a statement of Soviet national pride as well as to compete with the Concorde and a possible American supersonic transport. Although outwardly similar to the Concorde, the Tu-144 was a somewhat larger design able to seat up to 140 and cruise at speeds up to Mach 2.35. The design owed much to earlier studies of the Tu-125 and Tu-135 bombers. Although these aircraft were never built, they gave Tupolev engineers experience in optimizing the aerodynamic behavior of Mach 2 configurations, dealing with heating issues, designing engine inlets, and addressing other concerns associated with high-speed flight, such as sonic booms. The resulting design featured a highly-contoured ogival wing similar to that of the Concorde and employed elevons for pitch control rather than a standard horizontal tail. Also like the Concorde, the engines were placed in pairs near the trailing edge under each wing, and the forward fuselage employed a drooped-nose mechanism to improve pilot visibility during takeoff and landing.
Though first publicized in 1965, most of the world did not get a good look at the new aircraft until a Tu-144 appeared at the 1973 Paris Air Show. Unfortunately, this aircraft crashed in full view of the world press providing a major blow to the Soviet program. After several modifications, including addition of retractable canards for improved low-speed performance, new inlet design, increased wingspan, a lengthened fuselage, and removal of the pilot ejection seats seen on the prototypes, the aircraft was deemed airworthy. The Tu-144 first entered service in late 1975 and began a series of cargo and mail flights between Moscow and Alma Ata. Two years later, passenger service was also introduced between these cities. These flights lasted only seven months, however, before a second fatal accident resulted in termination of Tu-144 operations. Following the final commercial flight on 1 June 1978, the remaining Tu-144s were put into storage or donated to museums.

The only version that continued to fly was the improved Tu-144D used as a supersonic research testbed. One of these was further upgraded to the Tu-144LL standard and operated jointly by Russia and the United States as part of NASA's High Speed Civil Transport (HSCT) project. This aircraft completed about 27 research flights to conduct tests of supersonic engine technologies, fuel systems, advanced flight controls, noise reduction techniques, and other concepts intended to make supersonic transports more economical and environmentally friendly. The sole Tu-144LL was later sold to a private owner over eBay for $11 million in 2001.

speedbird_heavy
2nd Nov 2004, 16:14
Now up to £5.1m. Highest bidder must be a piss take. He's only ever bought 2 pair of jeans off e-bay and somehow I doubt he has £5m.

Peter Barron
2nd Nov 2004, 16:30
Highest bidder must be a joker.

I think they all are, I don't know why the seller is letting the auction continue.
If it is not stopped then ebay will charge him commission on the final price and as this is millions the ebay fee will be tens of thousands of pounds.

G-ANDY
2nd Nov 2004, 16:44
Frank Furillo,

You said its at Blackpool, can you go up to it and "have a look," or is it strictly "look from a distance" (across the airfield)????

Cheers,

G-ANDY

Danny_R
2nd Nov 2004, 18:29
There has just been a feature on it, on BBC's North West Tonight.

speedbird_heavy
2nd Nov 2004, 18:32
You said its at Blackpool, can you go up to it and "have a look," or is it strictly "look from a distance" (across the airfield)????

Tragically its not worth bidding on. The sea air has taken its toll.

Frank Furillo
2nd Nov 2004, 18:36
You can get very close to it it is surrounded by a fence, you used to be able to go inside, for a fee. But that was stopped some time ago. It is a sad end for such a machine.
FF

dada
2nd Nov 2004, 20:03
the barmy bidding reflects the number of people with a dislike of the owner. bbbbbbbbid away

lead zeppelin
2nd Nov 2004, 20:20
Shoud hae NO trouble getting insurance!

bluebird121
2nd Nov 2004, 21:14
:) i wonder if it will end up as scrap or maybe even a garden ornament:rolleyes: but then all the neighbours will want one too..;) seriously though could a museum not take it or have they already got their quota of these planes:ok:

Peter Barron
3rd Nov 2004, 14:28
Ebay were keeping an eye on the auction and have at last taken action.
It now seems all the bogus time wasting bids have been cancelled and it is back to a normal auction, its now sitting at just over 10 grand.

Notso Fantastic
6th Nov 2004, 21:01
Yes.....from a bidder with absolutely no Ebay history, buying or selling? I would say the odds are high we have a bogus bid.

Rollingthunder
8th Nov 2004, 17:06
Chris Ollerenshaw, from Dukinfield, Greater Manchester, was the successful bidder with £15,102.03 when the e-Bay auction finished on Saturday.

On Sunday he handed over the cheque to its previous owner Brian Bateson at Blackpool Airport where it has been stationed for the past 21 years.

Mr Ollerenshaw plans to site the plane behind his pub, The Snipe Inn.

"I'm not really sure why I bid for it, we've been to Blackpool so many times and passed it," he said.

"I am very pleased. We didn't think we would get it."

The father-of-three said: "I'm scared stiff of flying; perhaps it is as well it is staying on the ground."

Mr Ollerenshaw hopes the bomber, which last saw service when it was on standby on Ascension Island in the Falklands War, will be an attraction at his pub.

But his family have mixed feelings about the 40-ton jet with a wing span of 120 feet.

"It's barmy, I can't believe he's done it," said his wife Bev, who placed the bid on e-Bay for him.

But she added: "I'm glad for him."

Former owner Mr Bateson, who paid £6,000 for it, said: "I think the airplane, especially with a new owner who will give it some TLC, will be a new attraction somewhere else."

BBC online

Jerricho
8th Nov 2004, 21:46
I suppose that's one very good way of getting good feedback on eBay.

timmcat
6th Jan 2005, 12:15
... Oh dear........ (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/4150095.stm)