PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan on e-bay

Neil Porter
28th Oct 2004, 08:36
Blackpool airports Vulcan is up for grabs - £6k for a corrosion filled airframe!!:(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2979&item=5530699633&rd=1

lasernigel
28th Oct 2004, 09:02
Moved from Blackpool last year and saw over the years it's sad demise.Will keep donating to XH558 and pray and hope that we can at least save one of these great aircraft flying.Shame that guy in South Africa didn't buy a couple.Just look what he's done with those Lightnings.

Morrissey
28th Oct 2004, 17:41
http://forum.shackletonproject.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=840

Shackman
28th Oct 2004, 19:29
Didn't know about the above - but thanks Morrissey for the info and the pictures. It was a shame that MoD/CAA (Campaign Against Aviation) prevented one staying flying here - but hooray for the Vulcan.:D

GeeRam
28th Oct 2004, 19:34
or indeed the Shackleton

That Shack is not operated by Mike Beachyhead's ThunderCity operation who operate the 3 x Lightnings, 3 x Bucc's, Hunter's etc.

It's the last airworthy Mk3, and is maintained by the SAAF. I believe it's last flight is imminent, as it's almost time expired. In 2002 there was only 90 hours left on it....:{

Which will leave Coventy based Air Atlantique with the last airworthy Shack, their Mk2, which unfortunately because of CAA restrictions means it has to be based and operated over in the US of A.....:(

G085H1TE
28th Oct 2004, 21:33
My God! Someone's bid on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2979&item=5530699633&rd=1

Echo Zulu Yankee
29th Oct 2004, 10:57
My God! Someone's bid on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....Someone who's previous E-Bay purchases included 5 original 80's Status Quo tour T-Shirts and one giant inflateable Southern Comfort bottle!

I hope the Vulcan goes to a good home!

.....On second thoughts...its not Jeremy Clarkson wanting something to put next to the Lightening is it?

EzY

Wycombe
29th Oct 2004, 12:35
...sorry to disappoint, but the Lightning didn't stay in Jeremy's garden for very long. It's now back at the entrance at Wycombe (with a similarly decrepit looking Hunter)

BEagle
29th Oct 2004, 20:24
No Hunter could possibly ever be thought of as decrepit......

eagerbeaver
30th Oct 2004, 10:12
i would buy it but how could i get it to cambridge? Could the wings be taken off?

FYI i would sit in the cockpit and pretend to fly it just like we all did when we were kids.

the_flying_cop
30th Oct 2004, 14:40
whats wrong with you man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you should fly it down to cambridge of course !

it has engines!

good luck

TFC

eagerbeaver
31st Oct 2004, 15:37
I would consider it, maybe beagle, flatus, allan 907 and the other vulcan chaps could do my LPC/OPC and we would be away.
What would be left inside? would you even be able to get inside the aircraft?

Green Meat
31st Oct 2004, 23:09
Well, eager, last time I was in Blackpool I had a quick shuftie inside it. You could sit in the cockpit if the ladder hasn't completely come away from the cockpit hatch, but you'll find the sad, poked-out-eye look a bit hard to take as some bugger has pinched most of the instruments ;)

adam400
1st Nov 2004, 20:38
27 bidders and £20,100 being the latest bid! Someones having a laugh here it seems!!

JFZ90
1st Nov 2004, 23:41
Mmmm

One of the £1,000,000+m bidders is also selling a hornby train set and a Raleigh Chopper frame and handlebars.

TheBeeKeeper
2nd Nov 2004, 13:29
If only someone did have £2.6m to spend on a Vulcan..... it would surely be enough to get one of the nearly airworthy examples back onto the display circuit!

emitex
3rd Nov 2004, 09:10
That's a truck load of Aluminium Oxide...

BBC link here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/3976459.stm)

airborne_artist
3rd Nov 2004, 09:28
The seller has clearly done some weeding out of the fantasy buyers.

BEagle
3rd Nov 2004, 11:49
Whereas the Vulcan at Bruntingthorpe is now very close to meeting the funding target needed for the restoration to begin. It's not just the a/c - thanks to modern rules (Health and Safety etc) even the hangar has to be brought up to an acceptable standard before that can happen.

Any one who can spare the odd few quid, please see www.tvoc.co.uk and see how you can help to hear the heavy metal thunder of an airworthy tin triangle once again!

BigGrecian
3rd Nov 2004, 13:09
I thought in an auction the price went up - at the moment the Vulcan seems to be rapidly depreciating further to the price mentioned above!

STANDTO
4th Nov 2004, 18:46
"its got five engines in it" according to the BBC link

Obviously XL391, was a super ultra secret version, so must be worth more.

A sad, old shed, which should be allowed to die. It will fall on top of whoever tries to move it.

joe2812
4th Nov 2004, 19:31
Perhaps a PPRuNe Project waiting to happen?

Think of how much fun we could all have doing the thing up!

:p

FJJP
4th Nov 2004, 21:53
Er... actually, Standto, it DOES have 5 engines in it. 4x Olympus 201s and a Rover gas turbine called the airborne auxiliary power plant [AAPP] - buried in the wing behind the starboard undercarriage leg...

PhoenixDaCat
5th Nov 2004, 10:25
There's another "vulcan" up for sale on ebay. The story is here

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/05/ebay_paper_vulcan/

and the auction is here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2979&item=5532722877&rd=1

STANDTO
5th Nov 2004, 16:18
Can someone just pass FJJP that anorak in the corner :ok:

Nice one spud!!! no reply to that!

Dop
6th Nov 2004, 20:13
It's been sold to a Manchester Publican, according to the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/3989019.stm)

FJJP
6th Nov 2004, 21:34
Standto - don't wear an anorak! No need to - just spent 2000 hours strapped into the front seat driving the beast [including Blue Steel missiles]...

You kinda become aware of the jet noise coming from the stbd gear area when the main engines not running!

ZH875
6th Nov 2004, 22:15
And even us poor grouncrew liked the Rover on a cold, wet day. Somewher to keep warm whilst the hour long crew-in went its way.

BEagle
6th Nov 2004, 22:35
Until some idiot AEO cocked things up and gave you a cartridge start with clouds of unexpected black smoke!

We had an AEO leader who managed to do it twice to the same Crew Chief!

ZH875
6th Nov 2004, 22:53
My only incident was whilst standing on the stbd mainwheel removing the Palouste air lead (due to u/s Palouste), I looked at the crew chief who signalled a rapid start on No1 engine, (he obviously checked my position was safe) and he fell about laughing when I almost sh1t myself when the crew hit No4 Rapid start. I would have chased and thumped him if my legs had worked.

STANDTO
7th Nov 2004, 12:46
FJJP

in that case, I stand in the presence of a demi god

If a certain ME QFI ever sends me my book that Dave Thomas signed back, you can sign it too.

Presuming of course, you aren't Dave Thomas. Signing it twice woudl just be silly

ORAC
8th Nov 2004, 13:06
The Times: Christopher Ollerenshaw, landlord of the Snipe Inn in Dukinfield, Greater Manchester, has bought an ex-RAF Vulcan bomber for £15,102.30 on the internet auction site eBay. He plans to display it in a field. The aircraft was one of seven flown to Ascension Island during the Falklands campaign.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wonder how he expects to get it delivered?

FJJP
8th Nov 2004, 15:43
Sorry, Standto, much tho' I'd like to be in his position as prime slot for display pilot I ain't he! Know him well, though - first rate chap.

Demi-God? I think not. Driver, airframe, PDA, had lotsa fun...