PDA

View Full Version : Skyline Aviation

giddy up
27th Oct 2004, 07:49
Can any of you kiwis shed some light on this company?? Good/Bad operation etc....PM me if you like

ta
giddy

troppo
27th Oct 2004, 07:56
nope...sorry...
but i guess you have heard about the ad in the paper ;)

Luke SkyToddler
27th Oct 2004, 18:09
They are, or at least they were when I was last back home in NZ, a leasing company that owns the collective fleet of AS350 helicopters, and PA31 and PA34 fixed wing aircraft, operated by the Hawke's Bay air ambulance services. The major shareholder is the Lowe Walker freezing works company.

They certainly never used to be an operator as such, just an owner / leasor. Are they advertising for pilots themselves now? Where's the advert? (No, I'm not interested in applying myself, been there done that :ok: )

Six Lima
28th Oct 2004, 01:42
LST, just a few minor corrections. Skyline has their own 135 Certificate which they have used to operate their helicopters (2 I think) as rescue a/c. They also own a Pa31 Navajo (LWN) which is operated by Air Hawkes Bay (i.e. crewed by AHB) as an air ambulance a/c. AHB own their own Pa34 III (RSQ) which is used as back up to the Navajo. Skyline has recently purchased a Cessna 421C to fill the requirement for a pressurised a/c. This a/c has been flown by Sklyine's own pilot, it would seem that they're a bit nervous about letting AHB's (relatively) low time pilots on the 421. AHB also have a couple of Seneca I's which can do local transfers, usually VFR.

I'm fairly certain that it is entirely privately owned, the connection with Lowe walker (now Lowe Corporation) comes from the fact that they sponsor all the air ambulance services in Hawkes Bay. All the a/c are painted with Lowe Corp livery so to speak. They don't actually have a stake in Skyline.

Ad is at www.afap.org.au

I find it very interesting that they also mention the Navajo in their ad, the one currently crewed by AHB pilots, given that the hospital contract is currently up for renewal. Say no more.

Giddy, this job will be given to someone who intends on staying in Hawkes Bay for a while i.e. 2 years min. They certainly won't want someone on their way to the airlines. Either that or you'll be paying through the a:mad: e to get out of there.

If you were looking for lifestyle with family etc. this could well be your place. Not sure if you're familiar with Hawkes Bay but it has one of NZ's warmest climates, on the east coast of Nth Island. The two fixed wing a/c are both probably the best examples of each type in NZ, when the 421 was purchased it received a new paint job and the entire avionics panel was ripped out and they started again. The guy who owns the company is a very savvy businessman, but when it comes to planes he certainly doesn't cut corners. He is also a top man who treats all his staff very well. A genuine all around nice guy. The job could include the odd midnight call out but it will also have a number of flights taking the owner to all of his various holiday homes!

Cloud Cutter
28th Oct 2004, 01:55
Luke ST

The ad was also in the Wednesday NZ Herrald. I can see why they have to spread the word - They'll have to find someone who doesn't want an airline job as anyone with that time (1000/150) is likely to be picked of within 6 months.

As 6L has said, would be a great job for the right person - they almost completely rebuilt the 421 - very nice. Also wouldn't be suprised if pay was more than some of the regional guys are getting.

Luke SkyToddler
28th Oct 2004, 05:37
Thanks for that 6L.

So what's happened to PK then? I thought the Skyline gig was his nice little semi-retirement job for the rest of forever, is he totally quitting flying? Or has Mr Lowe just decided it's time for someone a bit less long in the tooth? :E

chicken6
28th Oct 2004, 07:47
Luke

It is just that, but it looks like it's about to get a whole lot better as he won't be the only pilot on call 24/7! He's essentially the one who's establishing the SOPs for the new a/c, basically getting the operation of it under control before passing the reins on to whoever the next person is. That person will then be the main pilot. I guess now that Skyline's advertising they have realised two things:

1. He's got it sussed, written up etc. ready to take over the hospital contract with LWN and the two helicopters, and you can bet it all works very well.

2. They need to tie someone into a contract soon, as 6L said the people currently there with that time are only 100hrs or so away from the Air Nelson and Eagle radars.

Any prospective people who don't mind living in the sun for a few years should definitely think seriously about moving (if you have to), it's a very nice place to live, and you'll have a great boss and heaps of support. But no, I won't be moving back either!:ok:

Sqwark2000
28th Oct 2004, 09:45
now then..... I've heard (just rumours, remember!) that Air HB, commercial arm of HB&EC aero club, has taken a big bite of something they will struggle to chew and are trying to go it alone on the Air Ambulance Contract with the HB District Health Board, trying to cut out SKYLINE, the aircraft owner, and get a bigger slice of the pie.

Taking on SKYLINE is a big call, as the CEO is a very shrewd businessman who knows whats what and has some serious coin behind him, plus has the likes of major sponsorship from the Lowe Corp & charity funds from pokies etc to make the operating costs of an air ambulance operation alot cheaper than what the Aero Club could deliver.

This SKYLINE gig would be a great lifestyle move, if you want a good boss, good money (I'm guessing but I know the CEO doesn't skimp on costs to get the best, wether it's equipment or people) and fly quality GA aircraft with all the trimmings. Sure, the odd midnight callout, but it's probably the only downside. Makes for good variety though.

Wonder if the potential split in current relationship, will have other effects downstream. i.e. Will Skyline be allowed to continue to operate from Bridge Pa, privately owned by the HB&ECAC? Where will the Diploma in OPERATIONAL aviation course that HB&ECAC get the operational hours for their students if the hospital contract is given to SKYLINE exclusively?

I imagine PK will still be there as CP Fixed wing, just a little less time in the saddle and definately not after dark!

Having flown the Skyline PA31 myself, seen the C421 and know of it's fitout, and it was a few more years down the track, I'd made my squillions working for Uncle Koru, and was looking for a good job in a great part of the country to semi-retire, then I'd put my hand up to work for Skyline to work MT, ST and PK. But first I have to start making my squillions :ok:

S2K

beaver_boy
7th Nov 2004, 02:11
g'day!

I'm new to NZ aviation and have started looking for work. I'm Canadian and my fiancee is Kiwi. Looking to settle in NZ and starting to gather information about companies. My better half is from Hawke's bay and we were just there on holiday. Where would I find more info on Skyline? sounds perfect for what I would like at the mo. Any help appreciated and rewarded with beer if we ever cross paths.
Cheers!!

PM me if you wish