PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Checking Requirement

Baldricks Mum
26th Oct 2004, 23:35
Here is one for all those aviation legal types.

In CAO 20.6 Para 6.1, it states that an aircraft having a maximum take-off weight in excess of 5700KG, shall not commence a flight unless the pilot in command has ensured that the fuel quantity has been checked by two separate methods.

It does not mention at all the requirement for aircraft under 5700KG. Only the CAR says that you must have enough fuel and oil to carry out the flight safely.

So my question is, do light aircraft pilots have to physically check the fuel quantity, or will a check of the fuel gauges be sufficient?

BM

hoss
27th Oct 2004, 04:04
Ok, I'll have a go at the answer:) .

Inorder to physically check the fuel quantity do the light aircraft manufacturers provide official means to check the fuel quantity? From my 5000hours on lighties I can't recall an aircraft type that had provided any such means. Sure the various operators had accurate rules of thumb but nothing that the manufacturer would endorse. Examples like'bottom of the tab is x amount, if you see a light wash you have y amount, company fuel sticks etc. All a 'bit backyardish' but kept us out of trouble.

Just found my old C-206 information manual. (section 4 normal procedures). Preflight inspection, for the cabin there is mention to check; fuel quantity indicators--check quantity......further down right/left wing; fuel quantity-- check visually for desired level. Further down (section 7 airplane and systems descriptions) they do make mention of fuel quantity measurement from the instrument panel fuel quantity indicators. They also make reference to a reduced fuel load and a quantity from filling to the bottom edge of the fuel collar. So from this information there are only 3 accurate visual fuel quantities 'full,reduced and empty'.

So to answer your question, check the AFM/POH or the CASA approved document and if it has anything like the 'information manual' then yes you have to check visually AND indicators as well.

Safe flying

:)

Obiwan
27th Oct 2004, 05:11
So my question is, do light aircraft pilots have to physically check the fuel quantity, or will a check of the fuel gauges be sufficient?
I wouldn't rely on the fuel guages in most of the lighties I've flown in. As reliable as my 20 year old car...

For peace of mind I always check the tanks. You'd be FITH not to.

Don't forget, things that do you no good in aviation:

* Altitude above you.
* Runway behind you.
* Fuel in the truck.
* A navigator.
* Half a second ago.
* Approach plates in the car.
* The airspeed you don't have.

hoss
27th Oct 2004, 06:00
Oh one other thing Mrs Baldrick, don't forget to apply the fuel correction from the 'fuel calibration card'(terminology?):ok: .

The BN-2 is a classic example took ages for the gauges to decrease but when they did.............lets just say I'm sure they got the attention of a few guys over the years who may not have applied this:eek: .

Flat level surface and all the rest......... hoss:)

Jamair
28th Oct 2004, 06:39
Some B58's have an approved 'sight gauge' wherein a hose is connected to a fuel drain and brought up alongside the fuselage just fwd of the wing root fairing, where a calibrated scale is placarded and allows accurate reading of quantity. Have only seen this on two '58's but the system was was included in the POH / AFM for those aircraft.