PDA

View Full Version : Flying School Accommadation

TeleMaPhone
26th Oct 2004, 06:21
Many Flying Schools that offer CPL courses also request that students live on campus (in their provided accommadation). Is this just another way the flying school tries to rip you off? And is it most likely that these places will be getting students to also double up as cleaners etc?

Islander Jock
26th Oct 2004, 11:36
Is this just another way the flying school tries to rip you off?

Pray tell what other ways can you cite from experience the the flying school has tried to "rip you off"?
Perhaps the reasoning behind wanting full time CPL students to live on campus is to create a learning environment which is free from distractions such as nightclubs and bars and close to the training facility. At the same time reducing risk of students having to drive to and from classes or flying every day and being late because of alarm didnt go off/traffic/ran out of petrol/flat tyre/had to drop girlfriend or boyfriend off/train strike or whatever.

I can't think of anyone in their right mind wanting to operate an accommodation facility in addition to a training organization unless it is to alleviate the liklihood of some of the issues above.

And is it most likely that these places will be getting students to also double up as cleaners etc?

OH MY GOD! WHAT? I MIGHT HAVE TO CLEAN MY OWN ACCOMODATION!

If you have a problem with the concept of keeping your work and living areas clean yourself then I'd suggest you are going to have a very miserable first few years in GA.

Maybe you could get your mum or dad to move onto campus with you to make your bed and sweep your floors.:E

TeleMaPhone
27th Oct 2004, 12:06
Wow - your critical response overwhelms me... What I was asking was not if it is a scandal, but peoples opinions of whether this is a better learning environment, whether it would be an advantage, and whether people can tell me of pro's and con's from personal experience - not one hipocrites smart arse remarks replying with selective reading (oh, I can quote this and that to make it sound bad..).
Many CPL school's whom do offer accommadation also have students cleaning aircraft each week, doing grocery rounds, and general chores that are certainly not required as part of criteria for a CPL. So I ask, for those with personal experience, does this add to the enjoyment and learning of becomming a pilot or is it extra work that you could be doing in your own time by living elsewhere?! Is it truely necessary for Pilot's in Training to be washing aircraft they aren't even allowed to fly yet?! And is this something that you (or your mum and dad if they too live on campus) are paying up to $100,000 for?

maldob
28th Oct 2004, 04:06
I'm with you TMP, This part of the forum is supposed to be for students to ask advice so they can avoid pitfalls and cash drains. Getting replies like you received from people hiding behind user names really does no one any favours.

Mal

locusthunter
28th Oct 2004, 05:12
TMP,

To be perfectly honest, it probably doesn't matter all that much if you take company accomodation or not.

Some operators may have non-aviation assets and this may include property which they would like to fill with a good tenant.
Some of Islander Jock's reasons for having CPL students on-campus could be valid, but usually these are the reasons given for selling someone the accomodation.

Sometimes the friendships you gain from living close to other pilots benefit you later on in your career, or is just helpful while you are study exams together.

I would look at a flying school for what it can offer you in the training and employability field...find out as much as you can...talk to people who are actually in the industry, down the track a bit and don't have a vested interest. (i.e. many flying instructors tell you that their employer is the best because they will get more work if you go there.) Find out the real deal from those who know.

Hope this helps...

cheers,

LH

:ok: